the 100% directionless thread

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am just amazed at how many people do not recognize my profile pic for what it was and where it came from.

If I had to post a pic of what I most look like....just think The Dude.

And if you don't get that, then get the hell out of here and quit pissing on my rug.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Well, after mapping out the next 2/3 school quarters, it looks like I should be able to get my A.S degree by the end of the summer...that's if everything goes according to plan and my transcripts from my other school go through. I would be a full time student and I'm trying to get it done before I possible start the dispatcher academy. Hmm..I wonder where I can fit a vacation into all of this madness?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Well, after mapping out the next 2/3 school quarters, it looks like I should be able to get my A.S degree by the end of the summer...that's if everything goes according to plan and my transcripts from my other school go through. I would be a full time student and I'm trying to get it done before I possible start the dispatcher academy. Hmm..I wonder where I can fit a vacation into all of this madness?
yuh dont

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
They sell medications to *help* remedy that.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Since my new job doesn't use GPS and relies solely on us being able to use our Thomas Guide (map book of the area), we are also required to "personalize" ours and when I show up to training, I need little post it note flags marking the location of each of our ambulance stations, hospitals, local fire stations and to mark each posting location as we get them....not toooooo terribly crazy....except there's like 50 million county fire stations, I'm running out of room on the edges of my book to add more flags and I barely have a third of them marked (after running out of flags!)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I miss thomas books. They dont make them for the PNW anymore. Luckilly I still have my personal one but I will never bring it to work for fear of a supervisor claiming it is theirs.

On another note. Interview with one of my top three agencies at the end of this month!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I am just amazed at how many people do not recognize my profile pic for what it was and where it came from.

If I had to post a pic of what I most look like....just think The Dude.

And if you don't get that, then get the hell out of here and quit pissing on my rug.

Have you seen her now? Fugly.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I miss thomas books. They dont make them for the PNW anymore. Luckilly I still have my personal one but I will never bring it to work for fear of a supervisor claiming it is theirs.

On another note. Interview with one of my top three agencies at the end of this month!

I had a fully laminated King/Pierce/Snohomish County Thomas Guide. It was awesome... you could write in it with a sharpie, then wipe it clean with an alcohol prep. I think I tossed it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I also worked for a service where you weren't allowed to touch a GPS, because the owner didn't trust them. It was a Thomas Guide and area knowledge. (I used my own GPS all the time and always got complimented on my mapping skills).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
All of our units have laminated Thomas guides in them. I honestly don't remember the last time I touched it.

I think we have a thomas guide in ours...We also through it on our google maps turn by turn to get is in. Need it in the SW corner of PGA West lol.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a fully laminated King/Pierce/Snohomish County Thomas Guide. It was awesome... you could write in it with a sharpie, then wipe it clean with an alcohol prep. I think I tossed it.

All of our units have laminated Thomas guides in them. I honestly don't remember the last time I touched it.
Yeah mine is a big heavy duty laminated version I bought a few years back when I first got hired and thought I'd be using it then lol. It's nice and I got lots of compliments on it while everyone else was trying not to accidentally rip their paper copies during the map test haha
I also worked for a service where you weren't allowed to touch a GPS, because the owner didn't trust them. It was a Thomas Guide and area knowledge. (I used my own GPS all the time and always got complimented on my mapping skills).
yeah that's the quoted logic here. Apparently they are looking into GPS systems but haven't found one they like due to none being programmed to ignore regular driving rules and going straight to the call whilst traveling code 3..

Whilst shadowing dispatch we saw a unit start going in the almost completely opposite direction of the call, which when the crew was asked where they were going they said they were going to address way (while the actual call was address avenue) which the dispatcher told us was evidence they simply threw the address into Google maps on their phone instead of using the Thomas Guide...but in my head if you're liable to make that kind of mistake, the book won't help you that much, other than they give you the map page and grid when dispatched. So..I'm thinking I'll use the book to do what I need to to pass training and get into the field, then probably (if my partner doesn't throw a hissy fit about it lol) use my gps, just confirming the location matches both maps and the given page number/grid lol