the 100% directionless thread

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
12 hours into shift, and we havent done crap. Well spend two hours watching CCP lectures, and made dinner, but work related nothing. Been a weird day for us.

Side Note: WHY IS NETFLIX TAKING SCRUBS AWAY!!!!!!!!!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
12 hours into shift, and we havent done crap. Well spend two hours watching CCP lectures, and made dinner, but work related nothing. Been a weird day for us.

Side Note: WHY IS NETFLIX TAKING SCRUBS AWAY!!!!!!!!!
They are? Nooooo! Well actually my portable hard drive has every season downloaded onto it, so im not too broken ip by it

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
They are? Nooooo! Well actually my portable hard drive has every season downloaded onto it, so im not too broken ip by it

I saw it today, it's says available until 1/4/2015 :(

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
So direct, hands on experience is the only way to know something?

Did I say that or are you merely trying to load questions?
Hands on experience means a hell of a lot more than someone deciding something as fact just because they read it on the news. Not to mention forming an opinion based on a ONE SIDED report which is politically motivated.

Anjel

Forum Angel
So far tonight has had a 2 month old with a Parietal skull fx, a 1 year old with a humorus fx, and a 3 year old with a dog bite to the face.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
So far tonight has had a 2 month old with a Parietal skull fx, a 1 year old with a humorus fx, and a 3 year old with a dog bite to the face.

I didn't know 911 agencies had a specific unit just for pediatric calls!

Rough shift that sucks

Edit:spelling

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Yes, you said almost exactly that.

Actually, anecdotal experience is considered the weakest of all evidence.

So applying hands-on experience based on taught techniques is weak for you is it? I'll have to get your info and send to the US/UK HUMINT agencies since you're so clearly a subject matter expert who is capable of harvesting information from known persons and analysing source material. Or...NOT. Gotta love people on here giving their opinions on something they've learned from that so reliable source- politicians and the news!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Omg you guys will never agree on the subject or change each other's minds. Just agree to disagree.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So applying hands-on experience based on taught techniques is weak for you is it? I'll have to get your info and send to the US/UK HUMINT agencies since you're so clearly a subject matter expert who is capable of harvesting information from known persons and analysing source material. Or...NOT. Gotta love people on here giving their opinions on something they've learned from that so reliable source- politicians and the news!

Please explain exactly what it is I have claimed to be a SME on, and also what belief I have voiced in the politicians or news

I was simply pointing out the logical fallacy in your original reply. Don't take things so personally.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Please explain exactly what it is I have claimed to be a SME on, and also what belief I have voiced in the politicians or news

I was simply pointing out the logical fallacy in your original reply. Don't take things so personally.

There was no fallacy in my original reply. I was simply pointing out the fact that basing an opinion and projecting it as fact on something you:

1- read in the news
2- judge based on mere extracts from a report which contained selective portions (and politically motivated/charged)
3- have no hands on knowledge yourself

...is a quick way to come up with an opinion that is based on crap.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
There was no fallacy in my original reply. I was simply pointing out the fact that basing an opinion and projecting it as fact on something you:

1- read in the news
2- judge based on mere extracts from a report which contained selective portions (and politically motivated/charged)
3- have no hands on knowledge yourself

...is a quick way to come up with an opinion that is based on crap.

Knowing that torturing a fellow human being is an evil act is not an opinion I formed from reading the news.

Also, I may not have ever been tortured or tortured someone but John McCain has and he agrees with me. N=1 but I don't hear anyone who HAS been tortured saying that it's a good idea.

But I see your point, instead of listening to a bipartisan Senate report, I should listen to @irishboxer384 when it comes to form an "opinion" about torture because you have "hands on experience", whatever that meens.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Knowing that torturing a fellow human being is an evil act is not an opinion I formed from reading the news.

Also, I may not have ever been tortured or tortured someone but John McCain has and he agrees with me. N=1 but I don't hear anyone who HAS been tortured saying that it's a good idea.

But I see your point, instead of listening to a bipartisan Senate report, I should listen to @irishboxer384 when it comes to form an "opinion" about torture because you have "hands on experience", whatever that meens.

So you wouldn't like to include the obvious and historial rivalry between the CIA and FBI? where large parts of the report slamming the CIA contractors were writting by ...ho hum...FBI agents who were present?? Or I dunno...question WHY TS information was even released WHILST this stuff is going on rather than waiting the usual 100 years???? I never said listen to me, what I am saying is don't be so thick to form an opinion when you haven't look at the facts of both sides.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Both sides of what? It's WRONG. That's why it's called "torture". It's evil and our country is better than that. We lowered our standards.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Both sides of what? It's WRONG. That's why it's called "torture". It's evil and our country is better than that. We lowered our standards.

Lowered from when? Based on our own Western history our standards for human rights are the best they've ever been....

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Irishboxer,

Before I break this down, note that none of my comments address my own opinion of torture or the CIA report. I was commenting on your reasoning, not on the actual issue. Don't make the mistake of assuming you know someone else's position on something, or that you understand why they hold the position that they do.

Oh ok for a moment there I thought you were going to show everyone how you have actual hands-on or even related experience. So you seen it on a report that was released= expert. I don't need to ask myself how 'we' gained nothing...because as far as I can see you have never had any involvement in anything remotely related to what's going on other than what you read in the news.

The part of your post that I originally commented on is bolded above. What you were implying was that the only way someone can know anything is to have personal experience with it. This is an anti-intellectual argument that basically dismisses every form of learning aside from psychomotor practice.

You also assume that the only reason beano and others have the view they do is because of the recent senate report. That is a big assumption, considering how much discussion there has been on torture over the past decade, also considering that this recent senate report is not the first one to discount the utility of torture. Such assumption can also be categorized as a causal fallacy, which is a form of post-hoc logical fallacy.

Did I say that or are you merely trying to load questions?
Hands on experience means a hell of a lot more than someone deciding something as fact just because they read it on the news. Not to mention forming an opinion based on a ONE SIDED report which is politically motivated.

Then, in your reply to me, you make another assumption and actually commit two logical fallacies. First you repeat the post-hoc fallacy in assuming that people's opinions are based solely on ill-informed and politically motivated sources of information, and you then falsely imply that an individual's experience is a more valuable form of evidence than anything else, when in reality, anecdotal evidence is the weakest kind. This is sort of an implied anecdotal fallacy.

Lastly, I wonder how you square your outright dismissal of a "politically-motivatated" senate report with the self-serving claims of the CIA and military that information gathered from torture was not only useful but was the only way to gather the intel they were after?

Why are you so quick to believe the word of people (CIA, military) who obviously have much to lose if the public and congress don't believe that torture works?