the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Please someone tell me why operational preceptor is driving 65mph through uncontrolled left turn lanes on a non divided 4 lane road in heavy traffic. Do as I say, not as I do?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
why florida? or where in florida...ive rarely seen them mentioned here...
The more i look the more I'm finding about a half dozen good county services in Florida

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Trying hard to finish my masters thesis today but not having much luck in the concentration dept. I actually have the problem of too much content (a situation which I've never been in before). Need to clean up and condense and lose about 2 pages. I am finding it hard to accept a hard cap on length of a masters paper.

Anyway, I compared new oral anticoagulants (pradaxa, eliquis, xarelto) to warfarin. I compared both risk of stroke and risk of major bleeding. All were as effective as warfarin in reducing stroke risk. Xarelto was no different than warfarin. Pradaxa reduced stroke even more than warfarin, and had less intracranial hemorrhage, but increased rates of GI bleed. Eliquis had both reduced rates of stroke AND reduced rates of major bleeding than warfarin.

Interesting no? When I was in the field I hardly ever saw patients on any of these new drugs.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Trying hard to finish my masters thesis today but not having much luck in the concentration dept. I actually have the problem of too much content (a situation which I've never been in before). Need to clean up and condense and lose about 2 pages. I am finding it hard to accept a hard cap on length of a masters paper.

Anyway, I compared new oral anticoagulants (pradaxa, eliquis, xarelto) to warfarin. I compared both risk of stroke and risk of major bleeding. All were as effective as warfarin in reducing stroke risk. Xarelto was no different than warfarin. Pradaxa reduced stroke even more than warfarin, and had less intracranial hemorrhage, but increased rates of GI bleed. Eliquis had both reduced rates of stroke AND reduced rates of major bleeding than warfarin.

Interesting no? When I was in the field I hardly ever saw patients on any of these new drugs.

I've been seeing a lot more of these new drugs, particularly Xarelto and Pradaxa. Eliquis seems less common for whatever reason. By any chance is this paper going to be published or available publicly at some point?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm.Spending my OT shift today as a single medic all day. It's really strange to not have a partner for the first time in my EMS career. We're trying out a new pilot program with some split resources, so this is certainly a new experience for me. I don't make it to this side of the county all that often, so it's probably good for me to see it first hand anyway!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Epc instructor teaching today. Yay

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I've been seeing a lot more of these new drugs, particularly Xarelto and Pradaxa. Eliquis seems less common for whatever reason. By any chance is this paper going to be published or available publicly at some point?

I was hoping to adapt it into a publishable paper for JAAPA but other things are becoming a priority, ie. graduating, passing boards, getting a job. Adapting it would take substantial editing as right now its about 30 pages. I am doing a poster presentation at Tufts Medical Center. I can forward the paper to you when its finished.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hmm.Spending my OT shift today as a single medic all day. It's really strange to not have a partner for the first time in my EMS career. We're trying out a new pilot program with some split resources, so this is certainly a new experience for me. I don't make it to this side of the county all that often, so it's probably good for me to see it first hand anyway!

That's the part I miss most. I LOVE working as a single medic.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well officially laid off for the fire season. Pretty sweet changes on here, I like it!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Well officially laid off for the fire season. Pretty sweet changes on here, I like it!

Time to bring in that 55% without working through unemployment. If you haven't, perfect time to get paid to do medic school ;)

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Time to bring in that 55% without working through unemployment. If you haven't, perfect time to get paid to do medic school ;)

Funny how you mentioned that haha. It's actually in my plans to do that, but first things first its time to renew my EMT cert. plus I have to knock out the pre reqs for medic school. I do believe all I need is A&P for the school I'm looking at... time to look for that class, not to stoked about it since I had a hard time with it in EMT school... 2 years ago...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just had to walk out of my patients room after giving a hand over to the nurse. Nurse said "ooh you're a student? Well just so you know don't ever give a patient nitro without a line on them".

I'm a student so I can't afford to have a nurse make a complaint about me.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
And I'm done. Graduating with
Just had to walk out of my patients room after giving a hand over to the nurse. Nurse said "ooh you're a student? Well just so you know don't ever give a patient nitro without a line on them".

I'm a student so I can't afford to have a nurse make a complaint about me.

It is sound advice, but a bit misguided.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why? I wouldn't delay nitro for the sake of an IV.
"Nitro could drop their pressure". While yes it could however in this case I would be highly surprised. 58 female with angina and no other medical history. Takes her own nitro. Went to urgent care and they helped her with a dose (no IV) and had slight improvement in pain. EKG was normal.

I hate the excuse about never give nitro without a line. How many patients take nitro on a day to day basis with no line and have no ill effects from it?

Angel

Paramedic
That's ridiculous. And sucks you can't really defend your treatment. Although its a perfect moment to explain your train of thought to your preceptor, even though I'm sure they watched you do it and likely agree with you.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's ridiculous. And sucks you can't really defend your treatment. Although its a perfect moment to explain your train of thought to your preceptor, even though I'm sure they watched you do it and likely agree with you.
Preceptor was on the same exact page as me. When I told him about it he said "awwww, he must be a new nurse" haha.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In DE, NTG without a line or without a med control variance,is a protocol violation and will get you flagged in QI.