the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Now one of our few Isolation floor beds is tied up with this mess.

Your isolation bed is more expendable than an ambulance... especially an ambulance 3 hours from their home.

You can move beds around in the hospital, and the bed was clearly already going to be taken by the patient that was being transferred.

Sure, they dropped the ball, but don't get all high and mighty with your bed.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Your isolation bed is more expendable than an ambulance... especially an ambulance 3 hours from their home.

You can move beds around in the hospital, and the bed was clearly already going to be taken by the patient that was being transferred.

Sure, they dropped the ball, but don't get all high and mighty with your bed.

...and the company that is willing to send ambulances on hospice transports 3 hours away can shuffle their ambulances around too, and the company knew there was a risk that a hospice patient might die in transit when they took on the transport.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
...and the company that is willing to send ambulances on hospice transports 3 hours away can shuffle their ambulances around too, and the company knew there was a risk that a hospice patient might die in transit when they took on the transport.

And the facility KNEW the bed was going to be taken by the patient for an undefined amount of time. The facility lost nothing in this, as the bed was going to be used by the patient anyhow.

JPINFV

Gadfly
And the facility KNEW the bed was going to be taken by the patient for an undefined amount of time. The facility lost nothing in this, as the bed was going to be used by the patient anyhow.

So the standard for EMS not handling their own mess is because, hey, if the patient only survived 2 hours longer it would be someone else's mess?

Since we're beyond talking about patient care and talking about logistical and financial impact, what about the hospital's ability to bill for the stay?

What about the fact that that bed could be going to someone else now, like a patient boarding in the ED for several hours?

If a company can send an ambulance 3 hours away for a hospice transport, they aren't going to be missing the ambulance if it takes a little longer for them to get back.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So the standard for EMS not handling their own mess is because, hey, if the patient only survived 2 hours longer it would be someone else's mess?
Already commented on that part in the initial post, not my fault you glossed over it.

If a company can send an ambulance 3 hours away for a hospice transport, they aren't going to be missing the ambulance if it takes a little longer for them to get back.

Depends on where you're at. Even inside a big urban system such as mine, it's not uncommon for a truck to be out of service for 6 hours for the ME to do their thing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Brrrrrraaaaaaaaaapppppppppppp!

Nothing like some good throttle time to clear your head before work.

I love living where people vacation :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Depends on where you're at. Even inside a big urban system such as mine, it's not uncommon for a truck to be out of service for 6 hours for the ME to do their thing.

6 hours sounds about right.

Not an excuse for what that crew did or didn't do but I'd rather not be on the receiving end of a supervisors wrath because we pronounced in the rig. Hence why I worked my last arrest on the sidewalk for 15 minutes before finally moving to the unit and transporting. Woulda worked it to the end on the sidewalk had I not been 4 minutes routine from the ER with refractory VF and an ETCO2 of 46... Not getting termination orders for that from any ERP that I've met. "Just bring him in and we'll deal with it."

JPINFV

Gadfly
Already commented on that part in the initial post, not my fault you glossed over it.
I see where you claim that the hospital bed is, without knowing the census and how full the ED is, somehow more disposable than an ambulance. It still doesn't change the argument that it's wrong to just dump problems on someone else. You know... unless you have no issues with hospitals and SNFs dumping their problems on you.

...but it's find for someone else to be out of service for 6 hours because you don't want to be? It's not like hospital beds aren't a finite resource either... oh, wait... they are.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I see where you claim that the hospital bed is, without knowing the census and how full the ED is, somehow more disposable than an ambulance.
To me, it is.

And you're ignoring the possibility of other things, such as getting off on time instead of incurring OT, missed appointments, and one you simply cannot make an excuse for: fatigue. A bed being taken by a body at a hospital holds no one late. A cot with a body inside an ambulance can.

It still doesn't change the argument that it's wrong to just dump problems on someone else.

I'll write it again, since you missed it again,

"Sure, they dropped the ball..."

Last edited by a moderator:

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I love living where people vacation :D

So do I till the seasonal vacationers come and don't know where the hell they are...
"Where's the emergency?"
"I don't know"
"Are you coming to, or from the ocean?"
"To..."
(Well great, we have it down to a 37 mile stretch of the eastbound highway...)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ok guys, we've had the what to do with the dead body in the ambulance debate recently. Let it go.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the scholarship. Even if you can't delay acceptance of the scholarship just use it to get a 2 year degree in a complimentary field. Take lots of anatomy, bio, pharm classes and you'll be that much ahead when you do nursing school. Depending on the nursing program there will be prerequisite classes you need anyway.

What do you think of radiology tech? I just found a school that I know is reputable that doesn't have a wait list for that. Well, at least it doesn't seem to. It says on their site for nursing that it has a waitlist, but doesn't say anything about radiology.
I'm thinking it wouldn't be as pharma focused, but just the same with anat/ phys and bio.
Because I finally got a call back from the deacon of the church today (one of the interviewers) and he said he'd never had this come up, since they've only done the scholarship for 2 or 3 years. He also said he wasn't sure who to ask, but he doesn't think it can be delayed.
Thanks for the feedback from you and albertaEMS.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I'll write it again, since you missed it again,

"Sure, they dropped the ball..."

To be fair the hospital should not have direct admitted the patient to the floor but that is a different issue. Also during flu season an isolation bed is a big deal, even worse that it was one of the few negative pressure rooms.

Not 100% sure how the policy works but I think it would have been much better for them to divert to our ER, have them pronounce, then wheel them right into the morgue. Or even tell us they were dead before transferring to our bed. It looks pretty crappy when they are declared dead a minute after accepting care.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Time to get back off topic, please.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Off topic? Ok.

2 weeks after my ex and I broke up, she came to work wearing a (very tiny) engagement ring. First thing she says to me? "For the record, I never cheated on you"

Yeah, ok.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Help! Which knife should I get?

Spyderco Rescue 93mm $55
C14SBK3%5Blarge%5D.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F33ZGS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Spyderco Assist $75
41lAIeo34gL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Assi...id=1358651487&sr=8-3&keywords=spyderco+assist

Last edited by a moderator: