the 100% directionless thread

Anjel

Forum Angel
Happy Birthday TransportJockey

9930aj.jpg

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Is it just me, or are bean sprouts just the vegetarian equivalent of veal?

They take the beans and put them in cramped plastic or glass containers with just a bit of water, and no sunlight to keep the sprouts pale as they grow. Veal calves are kept in confined pens with food that is lacking certain nutrients such as iron to keep the meat pale as it grows. People argue that you should just let the calf grow up and feed more people with it. But no one argues that you could let the sprouts grow up and feed more people when they mature and produce more beans.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could use that as ammo next time someone tries to convert me to vegetarianism...

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I have some rather sad news. The handsome fella in my avatar passed away last night after a rather long (for a rat) battle with CHF. I knew it was coming, but I didn't think it would be this soon. The past couple months also saw increasing hind-end weakness which is fairly common in males that weren't neutered early. But he didn't seem to want to give up. If you said his name (or opened a bag of potato chips in his earshot) he would perk right up. If one of the human family members was nearby he would creep over to them for attention.

Yesterday when I went to leave for work, he was lounging in his favorite hammock, but didn't perk up when I said his name. I reached in the cage to pet him, and he crept a bit closer. I noticed his paws felt cold, so I tucked a piece of fleece around him, and he adjusted it to his liking.

Apparently when my dad got home, he opened the cage like he usually does, but Peter didn't come creeping out like he usually does. My dad picked him up, and noticed that he seemed weaker than ever. My dad laid on the couch with him, with Pete on his chest, and Pete stayed there for a bit, before creeping down to 'his' spot on the couch. After an hour or so, Pete turned around and crept back up to sit on my dad's chest. A few minutes later my dad said he started to shake, collapse, and then his breathing slowed and went agonal. I arrived home about an hour after that.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about him a lot on my way home. After I had passed the last store open at that time of night, I remembered that I forgot to pick up some banana chips. We ran out Tuesday night, and they were Pete's favorite treat. With the nor'easter starting, I wasn't going to turn around to get them, and decided I would go out mid-day when the roads cleared. I guess it was a good thing I didn't turn around after all.

I've never understood rats as pets but I'm all to familiar with the pain of loosing a furry friend. I'm very sorry to hear about his death. I just read that they only make it 4 or 5 years :( I'm glad I'm not a fan of them as pets. Going through the process of loosing one every 5 years would be a bit much.

bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I've never understood rats as pets but I'm all to familiar with the pain of loosing a furry friend. I'm very sorry to hear about his death. I just read that they only make it 4 or 5 years :( I'm glad I'm not a fan of them as pets. Going through the process of loosing one every 5 years would be a bit much.

Not even that long. They only live 2-3 years. The oldest one I ever had made it to 3 years, 3 months.

bigbaldguy

Not even that long. They only live 2-3 years. The oldest one I ever had made it to 3 years, 3 months.

Jeeze that's even worse than great Danes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I am about to go to an "Interprofessional Simulation Experience" with Wash U 3rd Med students in their surgical rotations. This should be fun....

My condolences. We had "Interprofessional Education" at my school since we have 9 or so different grad programs. It was basically penance for the older generation of physicians being pure a-holes than anything else. All flash, no sizzle.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That has got to be some special kind of aspergers that guy has. He labels his band aids?

Every year I try to read the entire thread, and every year I fail. Thought on this year's attempt I did discover that he carries this around in his BMW M3 at times, guy's got waaaaayyy too much money and time on his hands.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
5.5 hour each way to pick up/bring back a CCT patient on bipap. This shift got easy and annoying at the same time.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352432337.320255.jpg

I think that flushing an EZ-IO reminds me of this scene in The Princess Bride when they suck 50 years off Wesley's life.

bigbaldguy