the 100% directionless thread

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't need legal advice. It's personal advice. I got on-shift today at a hospital (volunteering), spent two hours in trauma, and then four more hours sitting by a patient who was a .215 etOH helping her feel better. I left before she was discharged, and I just want to be sure she's okay. However I'm not sure what ruling that would be under. Since I'm not a paid employee, it shouldnt be a problem, but I'm not sure.

If you're just looking to confirm that she was okay, check with the doctor/nurse that discharged her. That said, if you're looking for beyond just that, it might be a sign you're already in murky waters. ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't need legal advice. It's personal advice. I got on-shift today at a hospital (volunteering), spent two hours in trauma, and then four more hours sitting by a patient who was a .215 etOH helping her feel better. I left before she was discharged, and I just want to be sure she's okay. However I'm not sure what ruling that would be under. Since I'm not a paid employee, it shouldnt be a problem, but I'm not sure.

Go to next shift. Ask patient's nurse/doctor/tech/whoever else might know, "Hey, what ever happened to _____?"

Achilles

Forum Moron
Just in case you think CLs do nothing all day but sit around and drink beer, well you're wrong. We don't do it all day. Usually.

IMG_20120804_183853.jpg

We eat really healthy while we're doing it to :)

Wait!
Which one are you?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

If her biggest issues was that she was drunk and needed baby sitting she is probably at home with a hangover.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
If you're just looking to confirm that she was okay, check with the doctor/nurse that discharged her. That said, if you're looking for beyond just that, it might be a sign you're already in murky waters. ;)

Exactly how I'm feeling right now. This is botheirng the crap out of me. I had a pt die while I was working on her, two more with serious injuries, and I'm sitting here freaking out over a god damn girl that made me lose my head. It was ridiculously obvious to everyone around me too. They all saw it and I just didn't care.

:censored::censored::censored::censored: me, I need to go drink. I'll be on later.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Fixed! Do this instead!

Just as good a way to relieve stress, without all that nasty liver abuse. :wacko:

Everyones asleep or I'd go out running a 5k to try and blow some heat. *

Besides, the last thing I'd want is to end up in the same hospital, in the bed next to her, for the same thing. That'd just be a hilariously bad example. :rofl:

* - Getting out of the house without waking people is hard. Getting tempermentally drunk is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Forget worrying about waking people..... I'd just go running. I got a friend who goes running every time he is mad. (If he can.) Called me up one day and was like "Hey, I just ran 22 miles." Must have been pretty dang mad!

RSKS

Forum Ride Along
Everyones asleep or I'd go out running a 5k to try and blow some heat. *

Besides, the last thing I'd want is to end up in the same hospital, in the bed next to her, for the same thing. That'd just be a hilariously bad example. :rofl:

* - Getting out of the house without waking people is hard. Getting tempermentally drunk is easy.

I don't mean to sound judgmental although I'm sure I do anyway... But I feel its a waste of time to worry/ think/ flirt with someone you are supposed to be helping, and the reason she was in the hospital probably means she has some issues.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Dude....I swear you have been a steward on at least one of my flights before. You look so darn familiar. When I get back to Texas, we are definitely going to have to get together.

I have never in 17 years handed out a sandwitch on a flight much less a free one lol still u may have seen me I get around.

Anjel

Forum Angel

bigbaldguy

Excellent choice of fermented beverage there, Jon.

You should have seen Jon score phone numbers off usairways stewardess last night. It was like watching a shark among guppies. He looks all innocent and then wham next thing you know he's got three flight attendants hanging on his every word and asking to see his stethoscope.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Wait!
Which one are you?

I could be wrong. But I think.... Just a guess.... He may be the not so big bald guy.

Call me crazy though. Idk.

bigbaldguy

I could be wrong. But I think.... Just a guess.... He may be the not so big bald guy.

Call me crazy though. Idk.

I know since I lost weight maybe I should be renamed to mediumbaldguy.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Civvy radio traffic at a go kart tournament is killing me

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Forget worrying about waking people..... I'd just go running. I got a friend who goes running every time he is mad. (If he can.) Called me up one day and was like "Hey, I just ran 22 miles." Must have been pretty dang mad!

Can't say I've ever gone that far. I've been upwards of 15 in one run, I ran to the beach from where I lived! Greatest idea I had, besides not being able to walk for a day or so.
I don't mean to sound judgmental although I'm sure I do anyway... But I feel its a waste of time to worry/ think/ flirt with someone you are supposed to be helping, and the reason she was in the hospital probably means she has some issues.

You don't sound judgemental at all, don't worry. But with all due respect, I've come close to ending up in the hospital for etOH poisoning, and I know quite a few who have aswell. There are times I should have gone, where I've passed out after throwing up, and woken up with my head in the toilet, inches from the water (no exaggeration there. One of the scariest things in my life), and other crap. It comes down to who you're with, she was out partying and had too much (from what I hear, 3 bacardi shots, 2 gin shots, 3 beers, all in around an hour and a half), and her friend called for her.

And I've been beating the crap out of myself for this, and I don't know why. It's EMS' job to help people, psycological first aid is one of the top tools in our arensal. I deal with stuff every week, traumas, FDGB old ladies, and nasty stuff, and feel nothing for those people, for the most part. I might feel a bit bad, but I don't have an emotional connection to them. I never have with a patient who I didn't know prior to injury/intox.

Anyway, I'm knocking the train off its rails again, so in better news I got a nickname from some old ladies at the hospital, they called me angel o_O

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Speaking about old ladies I had a pt with Alzheimers and when I was checking her lung sounds she forgets where she is and who I am and notices that my stethoscope is placed on top her chest and bam I almost get slapped lol

Anjel

Forum Angel
425748e6-a546-3c2d.jpg

What is this?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Something that looks nasty at about 120 (300-150-100 "calculation") B/M, looks regular, is wide, and is paced.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It looks kind of like a dual chamber pacemaker. Either that, or the Phillips monitor adds in a lot of extra lines.