Texas ENA position paper against EMS

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Putting paramedics at full scope into EDs is a shortcut for education that only appeals to the lazy, semi-literate and arrogant among us- explaining why Sandpit is so vehemently for it.

I never, ever, not even once said anything remotely similar to being a proponent of placing paramedics in the ER.

I have stated and debated that field paramedics have more autonomy than ER RNs.

Check your fire.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
First, I really don't like to be wrong.

There, fixed that for you.

I thought the whole thing was so dumb, in fact, that I wasn't going to bother taking the time to respond to it. Eventually, though, you've worn me down.

It took me less than 5 minutes to find several examples of "proof" that in some places, RN's do in fact give morphine in the ED, on standing order, prior to the patient being seen by a physician.

The title is very specific as is this order- and it applies to one thing only... Long bone fx. It's not a general standing order that allows for the administration of MS as the RN sees fit. And this is at one hospital in one emergency room... Not like in every ambulance- oh, I dunno... Everywhere. But whatever- apparently I was wrong technically about the MS. Not about autonomy though.

Implementation of Nurse-Initiated Pain Protocol in Improving Time-to-Pain Treatment for Long Bone Fracture
See, I told you so.

And with that......I'm out.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Summit

Critical Crazy
http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/co...2165643-Anatomy-of-a-grassroots-EMS-movement/

The ENA is apologizing and back pedaling. And paramedics standing up for themselves, as they should, are making big waves and accomplishments.
The article you linked to says that TX ENA and national ENA disavowed the offensive letter written by some city chapter president that caused this thread.

Looks like ENA got the bill changed too... although it is possible they may achieved further change if that idiot hadn't written an idiotic letter.

Anyhow, since this thread is still going, I'm interested to hear your response to these questions I asked previously:

Why do you think RNs have liberal universal standing orders in HEMS?
Why do you think RNs don't have liberal universal standing orders in the ED?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I don't work in HEMS.

And I don't work in an ER.

I don't know, and it wouldn't be prudent for me to assume other than to say out of necessity.