termination of fire chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjel

Forum Angel
No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship
Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Your fire chief. Should keep up with his certs. It's part of his job.

If I let my cert lapse I would be fired or at least suspended.

OP
OP
B

bella141020

Forum Ride Along
I completely agree, however do you think the board has made a mistake allowing these people respond??

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
How many druggies are in your town that they can have a legitimate number of petitions?

OP
OP
B

bella141020

Forum Ride Along
sorry got deleted somehow

Hello All,

I recently volunteered with a small town (200 people but lots of tourists) EMS crew. I was simply a trainee as I have not yet received my EMT cert. Anyways, Recently a disgruntled FELON volunteer sent a petition around town and had known druggies sign it saying they wanted the fire chief to be terminated because of his attitude. (Hes a fire chief, what fire chief doesnt have a little attitude) So, the board reviewed everything and found that the chiefs EMT cert had expired during a medical leave and the renewing process was not complete. Everyone got upset saying he lied he was a EMT etc. However, the chief did NOT take primary pt. care at all for that reason.

Long story short they fired him, having no back up plan. 3 days after his EMT license was reinstated. All this after 18 years of dedication to the department.

NOW the town has ONE certified EMT (Who is on disability with the state and shouldnt be working), a FELON who has NO medical or fire training at all, and a person who USED to be a EMT somewhere else with no current cert, and one trainee whos class has expired since its been 1 year since the class started and she didnt get her cert.

DOES THIS SEEM LEGAL?????? A FELON PEOPLE A FELON responding to call with NO TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think?

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. Unless you can provide more information about the circumstances around the felony conviction, I couldn't care less about it. Felonies can range from terrible to relatively "meh."

2. So, no one outside of druggies signed the petition?

3. Chiefs, as representatives of their department, aren't going to be able to get away with having an attitude with public, especially when the public is using the department's services.

4. Is the certifications a part of his job requirements? Did he come forward when they expired and make sure the city council knew that his certs were expired, the circumstances behind it, and how long it would take him to renew it?

5. If he was hiding the fact that his certifications and licenses had expired, what else could be be hiding about the department?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
The primary issue it seems is that your fire chief got fired. Honestly, like Anjel said, it's part of his job and he should have kept up with his cert.

As far as the other issue is concerned, it depends on what role they're responding in. If they're presenting themselves as EMTs and aren't certified as such, then that's wrong. But if they aren't claiming to have any medical training and are responding just for more man power, then I don't see a problem with it, as useless as it may be. It depends on the felony, don't be so quick to say they have no place to respond just because they're a felon, it's arrogant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, and remember, those three hikers who were in Iran? Yea, they're all felons now too...

Jello

Forum Ride Along
Oh, and remember, those three hikers who were in Iran? Yea, they're all felons now too...

Really...? I'm no lawyer, but I doubt that their situation in Iran would translate into a felony under US Law. :glare:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Really...? I'm no lawyer, but I doubt that their situation in Iran would translate into a felony under US Law. :glare:
They were convicted of a felony and I've never seen an application limit the felony question to US law.

However, I doubt anyone would hold those charges against them. :D

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
They were convicted of a felony and I've never seen an application limit the felony question to US law.

However, I doubt anyone would hold those charges against them. :D

Here in Canada we do not have felonies and misdemeanors. The Canadian criminal justice system uses the terms Summary Conviction and Indictable offences. There is another term called hybrid offences which means either can be tried by way of indictment or summarily depending on how the crown elects to try the case.

JPINFV

Gadfly
We call our "hybrid" offenses "wobblers."

I'm sure there's some sort of "or equivalent" implied. After all, murder is murder. Espionage is espionage. I'm sure employers aren't going to be happy if someone hid a criminal record on account of nomenclature.

Edit:
Also, summary and indictable offense doesn't translate well to misdemeanor and felony, since misdemeanors will also normally get a jury trial.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
We call our "hybrid" offenses "wobblers."

I'm sure there's some sort of "or equivalent" implied. After all, murder is murder. Espionage is espionage. I'm sure employers aren't going to be happy if someone hid a criminal record on account of nomenclature.

Edit:
Also, summary and indictable offense doesn't translate well to misdemeanor and felony, since misdemeanors will also normally get a jury trial.

Another big difference between Canadian and US law is that here in Canada we do not have bail bondsman and bounty hunters. I believe it's an offnece in the Criminal Code of Canada to offer bail services for a fee.

As to the fire chief who got fired. Hey it's just a volly position. Maybe it's time for that town to separate, EMS from fire and have a volly third service dept.

Hepinghand

Forum Probie
Hello All,

I recently volunteered with a small town (200 people but lots of tourists) EMS crew. I was simply a trainee as I have not yet received my EMT cert. Anyways, Recently a disgruntled FELON volunteer sent a petition around town and had known druggies sign it saying they wanted the fire chief to be terminated because of his attitude. (Hes a fire chief, what fire chief doesnt have a little attitude) So, the board reviewed everything and found that the chiefs EMT cert had expired during a medical leave and the renewing process was not complete. Everyone got upset saying he lied he was a EMT etc. However, the chief did NOT take primary pt. care at all for that reason.

Long story short they fired him, having no back up plan. 3 days after his EMT license was reinstated. All this after 18 years of dedication to the department.

NOW the town has ONE certified EMT (Who is on disability with the state and shouldnt be working), a FELON who has NO medical or fire training at all, and a person who USED to be a EMT somewhere else with no current cert, and one trainee whos class has expired since its been 1 year since the class started and she didnt get her cert.

DOES THIS SEEM LEGAL?????? A FELON PEOPLE A FELON responding to call with NO TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think?

If I am correct if you are a convicted as a felon you cannot belong to a fire company nor a sqaud.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Small Town Politics....

Summer, 2009 I join department.... 4500 residents, about 450 EMS calls a year (We have many smaller towns we do M/A for....)

2 Rescues, 1 Chief, 4 Captains... All volunteer

Chief quits due to unresolved issues with selectmen, appoints succesor. Many quit with chief, many new people come onboard with new chief who is FT, Career medic/FF....

2 Months later chief is given choice by selectmen... be Chief of our town, and quit full time MEDIC/FF job for nearby city or not be chief.... Chief is forced out.... many of his followers left...

Interim chief takes over... Interim chief is given zero support, and selectmen bring back chief from two years ago (First chief mentioned in my post) and force interim chief out... many leave with interim chief and "old" chief is new chief again... many new people come back with chief....

Old, unreselved issues have come back... new old chief is still around, but on the outs... may have quit the department and I am working 2 Perdiem and 2 volunteer nights a week...

Small town politics... $hit happens, and nuttin you can do about it except respond when the tones come out and work your shifts.

Good luck, and dont hold your breath for a resolution that works for everyone.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
If I am correct if you are a convicted as a felon you cannot belong to a fire company nor a sqaud.
It depends on the type of felony. Usually if it's a felony involving some sort of crime against another person (i.e. assault, battery, etc.) then generally they don't allow you to join. However, there are always exceptions to every rule and if I remember correctly, a board can review the case and make a decision.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It depends on the type of felony. Usually if it's a felony involving some sort of crime against another person (i.e. assault, battery, etc.) then generally they don't allow you to join. However, there are always exceptions to every rule and if I remember correctly, a board can review the case and make a decision.

Correct. A friend of mine has a felony for auto theft on his record, but is now a chief at one of the smaller local FDs. He had to plead his case for both his fire and EMT cert, and won both.

Edit: This is for Texas. I can't speak for other state's procedures

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed per this rule

No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship
Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.