Taxes

Hockey

Quackers
Just wondering since its the time of the year to do taxes, is there any kind of Public Safety or EMS credits/deductions for 2008 taxes?

Never really heard of any but figure ask around here to see if anyone knows of any.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wondering since its the time of the year to do taxes, is there any kind of Public Safety or EMS credits/deductions for 2008 taxes?

Never really heard of any but figure ask around here to see if anyone knows of any.

There are deductions you can take regarding meals eaten away from home but you have to look at the rules to determine if they apply in your situation Also if you are a volunteer you can write off your mileage to and from calls and any expenses incurred during the performance of your volly stuff.

Clothing purchased for work, boots, belts, all that little hanging off the belt crap that your agency didn't reimburse you for is deductibible. Basically, anything you purchase for the performance of your job that was not paid for or reimbursed by your agency is a job expense. Liability insurance, if you carry it, union dues, subscriptions to trade journals or magazines (ie. JEMS) that you pay for or have sent directly to your home. Text books, training equipment.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea!! I get to claim my JEMS conference for next year!!^_^^_^^_^

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
In OK they have a firefighter tax credit for career and volunteer fire as long as you meet the ceu requirement but thats all I know for AR, OK, and MO. I have never heard of any federal cut due to it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I've heard of places having property tax deductions if you are volunteer FF/EMT.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
If you paid for your own education during the tax year then you can claim one of the two educational credits. Only counts if *YOU* paid for your program (cash, student loans). Excludes grants or employer-paid 'sponsoring'.

I was able to get a $1600 tax credit via the Hope credit because of my $5k+ student loans. (Might have been 1800, I'd have to back at my tax form. It scales to a max of $2000 I believe)

Edit: Just looked it up on IRS.gov, max of $1800. Also your AGI being under $58K single, $116 joint.

Link for Education Credits: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8863.pdf

I know this isnt directly what your asking for as it is not EMS specific, but it does help for those that had to pay for their own education

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Some tax people are saying you can take a $25 or something like that federal tax credit for every 24 hour shift. Might be worth asking your tax professional.

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
if there isn't a federal deduction for volunteer's there sure should be. In Pa. the state gives us a like a 100.00 dollar credit if you run X amount of hours per month. Not alot but better than nothing.