tattoos in EMS

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It depends greatly on what area of the country you work in too. I've lived in Texas and Arkansas, and I would die wearing long sleeves all year.

Yup. South Texas here. In January it's still too warm for long sleeves.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I also have something called a "tat jacket" which I rarely have to use, but its available when needed, try googling it. Other than that if you need them covered but do not want to wear a long sleeve uniform shirt, under Armour. They sell some nice tight fitting "heat grear" moisture wicking shirts which are UV protected for your tats(SPF 30 I think), match your uniform shirt, and help keep you cool.

Or, screw it. If your in an area where your agency is cool with it and the community does not mind, show um if you like. As long as its not one of the things from the EMS memes thread we are discussing :eek:

jkrewko

Forum Crew Member
i have full sleeves, my chest, stomach and knuckles tattooed. i have never had a problem and i work in multiple towns as a paramedic.

you'd be surprised how many older people have them.

for those who say they are judging your peers and coworkers because they have tattoos, shame on you, it's America in 2013!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
i have full sleeves, my chest, stomach and knuckles tattooed. i have never had a problem and i work in multiple towns as a paramedic.

for those who say they are judging your peers and coworkers because they have tattoos, shame on you, it's America in 2013!

You can say shame and tsk your fingers all you want. The stigma is still there whether you like it or not. It's less prevalent at the field level, but its certainly there as you move higher in your career.

ElleHart

Forum Ride Along
Usually depends where you work and your agency. My department doesn't really care. My partner has a full sleeve and a full chest piece that you can see. Which generally brings up pretty good conversation. We work in nyc so half e time the patients are covered in merge tattoos than we are.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
anyone have/want to get more tattoos? Do you think it affects how people view you? Are their tattoos more professional then others? I'm just curious,because I have a sleeve and i'm pretty new in emergency services.

stay safe out there,

No matter ones personal beliefs, some services will make you cover your tattoo up. It is viewed as unprofessional, and it is policy.

And then again, some services do not care at all and allow for their staff to have full sleeves exposed and eve neck tattoos.

I do think it affects how certain age groups or people with certain mind sets view you, I do not think there is such thing as a "professional" or more professional tattoo, but I do think there are ones that completely lack taste or class.

I would like a tattoo, but I will not get one where it is visible. My service does not allow it, and I do not want to wear the sleeve to cover them up. I cannot decide what I want on my body for life, so I have yet to actually get one.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
How about just having a rule against having crappy tattoos visible? I mean, if it's nice, take pride and show it. But if it's a horrible ugly one that your friend put on you or you got in Tijuana when you were drunk, then realize that nobody wants to see it.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
How about just having a rule against having crappy tattoos visible? I mean, if it's nice, take pride and show it. But if it's a horrible ugly one that your friend put on you or you got in Tijuana when you were drunk, then realize that nobody wants to see it.

Then there lies the problem, everyones opinion of "crappy" and "nice" differs. Especially when the tattoo is on the person under question

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

That is great, I would love to do my hands and knuckles, but I think I am going to wait until I am closer to retired; or risen to a position where I am the one making the rules and doing the influencing. You are right it is America in 2013 but how many women do we have in congress? About %16 and they make up over %50 of the U.S. population. How many female presidents? 0. How many visibly tattooed CEO's, judges, Political figures, ect? None that I am aware of. Even though you are absolutely correct and I agree and respect what your saying, but.....
the truth is 2013 America is no different than 1950's america among some. Many people in power who influence society, in addition to half the U.S. who still have this conservative attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Tattoos are now fashionable but that does not mean they will be 5 years from now. But unlike a bad haircut or bell bottoms, tattoos are permanent unless you do a painful and expensive removal. Grunge, punk, goth, the hair and piercing fashions of the 80s are also now out of favor although they do try to resurrect them occasionally. Most who have been through that decade cringe. Some even thought the loop ear lobes would become the next latest craze but fortunately not many are rushing out to get a permanent disfigurement. One couple had their looped ears surgically repaired when their child was being laughed at by other kids in school. Sometimes what you have done to your body will affect others as the fashion changes. This also includes infections which we now know even the best places can have contaminated equipment.

Many of the older people who got tattoos when they were younger now regret it. Their body has changed which also changed the art of the tattoo and usually not for the better. Some have said they also had career opportunities missed because of the tattoos. Tattoo removal is a big business because people who got visible tattoos when they were in their teens and early 20s have now figured out they want to go for professional jobs in a very competitive market. If there are many qualified applicants for a job, it will then come down to who will give the more professional image to the broader audience which will also consist of many different cultures. This is not just a young or old thing. But, even at that, some parents of kids from the inner cities are leary of tattoos since it often has represented gangs. They would rather not have their kids thinking your "art" is cool.

The nurses you see with tattoos might be the ones who got passed up for promotions or didn't get into the ICUs or that well paying pharmaceutical job. In many ICUs long sleeves are banned for infection reason. This means you will not work in a NICU, some Surgical ICUs or any of the other ICUs depending on the policies. Even the floors are starting to get rid of lab or scrub jackets. Even the strongest nursing unions can not fight some written polices or those which affect patient care by a conflict of interest. They won't even try.

Your decision on getting tattoos should depend on what you want to do with your life besides just right now. If you are positive you want to remain an EMT or Paramedic with just on lenient company and don't care about promotions even when you are 30, 40 or 50 then you might be okay. That is okay as long as the company is never taken over, closes, new management comes in or you get injured where you might have to look for another job.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya its such a recent fad.....
I am sure it will pass.... :wacko:
tumblr_lqomuhVjmQ1qf6oy3o1_250.jpg

bobshaw10.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Tattoos are now fashionable but that does not mean they will be 5 years from now. But unlike a bad haircut or bell bottoms, tattoos are permanent unless you do a painful and expensive removal. Grunge, punk, goth, the hair and piercing fashions of the 80s are also now out of favor although they do try to resurrect them occasionally. Most who have been through that decade cringe. Some even thought the loop ear lobes would become the next latest craze but fortunately not many are rushing out to get a permanent disfigurement. One couple had their looped ears surgically repaired when their child was being laughed at by other kids in school. Sometimes what you have done to your body will affect others as the fashion changes. This also includes infections which we now know even the best places can have contaminated equipment.

Many of the older people who got tattoos when they were younger now regret it. Their body has changed which also changed the art of the tattoo and usually not for the better. Some have said they also had career opportunities missed because of the tattoos. Tattoo removal is a big business because people who got visible tattoos when they were in their teens and early 20s have now figured out they want to go for professional jobs in a very competitive market. If there are many qualified applicants for a job, it will then come down to who will give the more professional image to the broader audience which will also consist of many different cultures. This is not just a young or old thing. But, even at that, some parents of kids from the inner cities are leary of tattoos since it often has represented gangs. They would rather not have their kids thinking your "art" is cool.

The nurses you see with tattoos might be the ones who got passed up for promotions or didn't get into the ICUs or that well paying pharmaceutical job. In many ICUs long sleeves are banned for infection reason. This means you will not work in a NICU, some Surgical ICUs or any of the other ICUs depending on the policies. Even the floors are starting to get rid of lab or scrub jackets. Even the strongest nursing unions can not fight some written polices or those which affect patient care by a conflict of interest. They won't even try.

Your decision on getting tattoos should depend on what you want to do with your life besides just right now. If you are positive you want to remain an EMT or Paramedic with just on lenient company and don't care about promotions even when you are 30, 40 or 50 then you might be okay. That is okay as long as the company is never taken over, closes, new management comes in or you get injured where you might have to look for another job.

That's odd cause I know quite a few ER and ICU nurses as well as charge nurses with tattoos...

With how widespread tattoos are when I'm 30, 40 or 50 the majority of the population will have tattoos...so unless everyone with them decides they aren't cool anymore I don't think your argument holds any water. In today's standards absolutely I agree with you, 10, 20 or 30 years down the road I do not.

How are tattoos making these people get passed up for jobs? Hand, neck or face tattoos I understand but a sleeve which is covered by long sleeves, which should be worn at an interview and generally in most office settings, should have no bearing on your employability. Now if you're going to these interviews in a short sleeve shirt all sleeved out I don't think the tattoos are what put the last nail in your coffin, I'm sure they won't help but the fact that you wore short sleeves to an interview says something about your personality, in my opinion.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
My father or his friends who served in the military didn't have tattoo sleeves. A few got tattoos representing their military branch. Some admitted to getting a drunken sailor type tattoo. You'll hear stories like that now from patients who may now regret it. Most of these tattoos are barely distinguishable with cancer lesions and surgeries. Your tat jacket is going to get messed up when you have open heart surgery with sternotomy and chest tube scars.

Some do get stuck in one style or fad. There are "hippies" who are still living that life well into their senior years even though the 60s are long gone. I bet there are quite a few fads or lifestyles you laugh at and you think they wouldn't work for a company you might own even though they might be well educated and well mannered.

What about the young kids who are already frightened and see a snake on your arm with the Star of Life tattoo? What about the tattoos which look like big eyes of monsters coming at them? Small children and those who are developmentally delayed aren't forming a fad opinion.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
That's odd cause I know quite a few ER and ICU nurses as well as charge nurses with tattoos...

Some hospitals are lenient. Some might be real crap houses to work in with poor benefits, lousy pay with horrible management and have to hire whoever they can get. If pickings are slim, policies lighten up. If there is a large supply of well qualified individuals, how many with visible sleeves are going to get picked? You might ask what the hospital's policy is and what might happen when management no longer looks the other way. We also had RNs and other staff in the Neonatal unit who had been covering their tattoos up with clothes. When the policy changed to bare arms, the tattoos were revealed and due to policy, they had to transfer out of the NICU. It was hard for these highly specialized RNs to find jobs in another NICU since almost every one in the US and most of Europe have similar policies. Since the policies for tattoos were already in place and the bare arms policy was for the safety of the infants, no union could support them.

If you want to get into another discussion about doctors, remember many are self employed. Others wear suits or lab coats. They can also pick their neighborhoods and often their patients. But, I doubt if a hospital would want a doctor with more tattoos than the gang members representing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
its not worth your time, trust me Rob ;-)

troll-trap-001.png

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
If someone else disagrees with you, they are a troll?

I am just telling you that life is full of options. Employers also have options. Plan your goals carefully. Yours to get a full tattoo jacket in your advanced years might not be appropriate for someone at 18 who still has not had a career or even know what goals there are in a profession.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
What is if it's a sleeve of Florence Nightingale? Do I still have a shot of becoming a Nurse in the ICU?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Well congratulations to your father and his friends. I'm eternally great full for their service and respect their decision that they did not want sleeves.

I've met plenty of vets with tattoos like you describe, some are regretful of them others love them and love to tell the story behind them, even if they don't look like they did originally.

If you're really worried about how they'll look down the road I hate to break it to you but your old is is still gonna look worn and elderly, with or without tattoos.

I never advocated displaying tattoos at work, whether they be offensive, scary, creepy, cute, cuddly whatever you want to label them, quite to the contrary actually.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well congratulations to your father and his friends. I'm eternally great full for their service and respect their decision that they did not want sleeves.

I've met plenty of vets with tattoos like you describe, some are regretful of them others love them and love to tell the story behind them, even if they don't look like they did originally.

If you're really worried about how they'll look down the road I hate to break it to you but your old is is still gonna look worn and elderly, with or without tattoos.

I never advocated displaying tattoos at work, whether they be offensive, scary, creepy, cute, cuddly whatever you want to label them, quite to the contrary actually.

One of the best infantry NCOs I have ever met was denied promotion because he had a "gang-affiliated" tattoo on the right side of his neck. The tattoo? A Screaming Eagle with a Red, White and Blue flag shaped like 1818 (referencing the Flag Act) and sheltering "huddled masses yearning to breathe free". Looking at his neck was basically America, but it made reenlistment hard for him.

OP
OP
Trailrider

Trailrider

Forum Crew Member

Well if they get that bad I would get them touched up :cool: