Tattoo Hatred

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I think it is widely known that the term "o's" is short-speak for oxygen.

I have been in 4 EMS systems including overseas work over the past 7 years and not once have I heard Percocet referred to as "o's."

Just sayin. Maybe it's different where you come from.

Also, never have I seen any Percocet given for prehospital pain management.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I am all for great artwork .
I my self have full sleeves, and I had no problem getting hired by a fire dept in a large city.
Here alot of cops, fire and ems have visible tattoos , than again its different in a large city compared to a small rural town

Rin

Forum Captain
@beano Are you saying he wore nitrile gloves as fingerless gloves?

Whitney Cadena

Forum Probie
I think it is widely known that the term "o's" is short-speak for oxygen.

I have been in 4 EMS systems including overseas work over the past 7 years and not once have I heard Percocet referred to as "o's."

Just sayin. Maybe it's different where you come from.

Also, never have I seen any Percocet given for prehospital pain management.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Thanks. I know even my mom was confused with her being a RN for the past 10 years. She was the one who asked what he meant and she kind of wasn't trying to flip out on the guy. He refused to even listen to her when she said to put me on oxygen & to use the traction splint. I honestly hope those guys got fired seriously.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Thanks. I know even my mom was confused with her being a RN for the past 10 years. She was the one who asked what he meant and she kind of wasn't trying to flip out on the guy. He refused to even listen to her when she said to put me on oxygen & to use the traction splint. I honestly hope those guys got fired seriously.
Well, with respect to you and your mother I can sort of see why these guys may have been having a little laugh between themselves with your nurse mother and you a young EMS hopeful telling them how to do their work. While it unprofessional that they did that in front of you, I can sort of see there is more to the story. You being on that side of it- I understand your perception; me being on the other side of it - I understand theirs.

Have a nurse on scene advising me to put o's on a Pt with a broken leg and to get the traction is going to result in some wise cracks between my partner and I as well. But again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Back to the tattoos....

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
My father spent a full 12 months of school in detention for 2 hours everyday purely to keep his long hair...stubborn (banned at his school at the time, like 1000 years go or something).

He also had a Red Hand of Ulster tattoo on his forearm (usually associated with terrorist organisations in Northern Ireland)- when he went to join the police after the military he had to cover it up with the only thing big enough to excuse a big red hand...a big happy gay red love heart with my mother's name on it lol...

Point is- if you get the tattoos and want to be part of a world that may not like them- you either put up with the fact some people might think you're an idiot/weirdo, or try and assimilate.

There is a huge difference in being an individual with thoughts and beliefs, and someone who stupidly expects everyone to respect you when your physical appearance is that of a plonker (foolish person).

PS Im covered in tattoos, and if I got turned down for a job because an employer didn't want to hire me because of 'appearance' sake... then I'd understand and look elsewhere.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I think it's interesting that at various points in this thread people have felt the need to comment on how tattoos or body mods are disgusting or represent poor decision making. Not to mention the open ridicule of the man with the split tongue and facial piercing. I agree the intersection of professionalism and personal expression is complex , but overall this thread just makes me want to avoid the Ems community.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I think it's interesting that at various points in this thread people have felt the need to comment on how tattoos or body mods are disgusting or represent poor decision making. Not to mention the open ridicule of the man with the split tongue and facial piercing. I agree the intersection of professionalism and personal expression is complex , but overall this thread just makes me want to avoid the Ems community.
Couple of quick thoughts...
First, I don't believe there has been an overwhelming number of comments stating that they are disgusting.

Second, if you group those comments in with the entire EMS community, well, that's your issue. This is discussion forum. People share their feelings and opinions on a subject. Some will be similar to yours, some will be the opposite. By sharing yours, you engage in a conversation.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've thought, "Wow, I never thought of it that way." My personal opinion may not have changed, but at least I was able to see another point of view.

OP
OP
BlueJayMedic

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
First, I don't believe there has been an overwhelming number of comments stating that they are disgusting.

Second, if you group those comments in with the entire EMS community, well, that's your issue. This is discussion forum. People share their feelings and opinions on a subject. Some will be similar to yours, some will be the opposite. By sharing yours, you engage in a conversation.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've thought, "Wow, I never thought of it that way." My personal opinion may not have changed, but at least I was able to see another point of view.
Very well said, the like button wasn't enough.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C

I was going to say something similar but I couldn't figure out how to do it without sounding like a jerk and this thread is heated enough (for some reason I still don't understand). Thanks Chimpie!

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I don't contest anyone's right to state their opinions. I do generally find the Ems community more socially conservative than I would like. I was just sharing my view that I found much of this discussion rude and small minded. But have at it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I don't contest anyone's right to state their opinions. I do generally find the Ems community more socially conservative than I would like. I was just sharing my view that I found much of this discussion rude and small minded. But have at it.

Yeah, well thats just like your opinion man.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Would growing thicker skin change my opinions on this? I am not losing any sleep over it. I've been around EMS long enough to understand that most people don't share most of my views. I also don't disagree with everything that has been said. I agree that it is naive to undergo extensive body modification or tattoos and be surprised by a decrease in employment options. I agree that setting standards of professionalism is essential in gaining the public's trust. I do not agree with blanket statements that certain types of body art represent poor decision making. And I think the tone of some comments has been disrespectful. That is not the same thing as saying people don't have the right to say it.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I agree that it is naive to undergo extensive body modification or tattoos and be surprised by a decrease in employment options.
I do not agree with blanket statements that certain types of body art represent poor decision making.

Naive yet not a poor desicion? Semantics.

I still don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt about this. Asking someone to cover their tattoos is not a big deal. If you show up to all interviews with long sleaves then no one can hold it against you.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
It certainly is a poor decision if your goal is to be employed in EMS. This is not the same thing as it being a generally poor decision. This thread has contained discussion about tattoos in EMS as well as how those with tattoos and body modifications interact with society at large.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It certainly is a poor decision if your goal is to be employed in EMS. This is not the same thing as it being a generally poor decision. This thread has contained discussion about tattoos in EMS as well as how those with tattoos and body modifications interact with society at large.
Generally speaking a tattoo on the face is always poor decision regardless of the job.