Supplies

Scriptor

Forum Probie
Hey everyone. I'm not even an EMT yet, I still have the written exam to take sometime next month hopefully. However, I'm wondering where I can find some supplies that seem to be most helpful, but hardest to locate. I'm looking for cravats mostly, to add to my personal trauma kit. If there's one thing my training taught me it's that an EMT with cravats can make a world of difference in almost any situation (splinting, bandaging, restraint, immobilization, etc.). So where do some of you recommend I find such supplies? I've tried several stores online, but the most I've found are gauze and blood stoppers and elastic san-adhesive tape.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I know that BossyCow makes them from cheap fabric...or so i think she said in a previous thread.

ebay.com and mooremedical.com are chock full of medical supplies.

I think if you do a search, you will find many opinions on trauma kits. Just remember to keep it simple, and things like cravats are actually not a bad idea.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I know that BossyCow makes them from cheap fabric...or so i think she said in a previous thread.

ebay.com and mooremedical.com are chock full of medical supplies.

I think if you do a search, you will find many opinions on trauma kits. Just remember to keep it simple, and things like cravats are actually not a bad idea.

No, they are too cheap to buy to waste my time on making them. Someone else wanted to make them. I told them what fabric they needed to buy.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
buy old army sheets, (army surplus) cut them into 4x4 squares then cut them in half diagonaly so you have two triangles. And wala!!! cravats!

Least that is what my emt instructor told our class to do.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Be sure to look at other threads about self-kits and their use.

Two themes emerge: experienced people tend to carry smaller kits, and many folks won't use them off duty due to liability.

Buzz

Forum Captain
Two themes emerge: experienced people tend to carry smaller kits, and many folks won't use them off duty due to liability.

That's pretty much my situation. I carry a fairly decently sized one, but only carry it with me while on longer kayaking/camping trips in which I'll certainly be quite a distance away from any sort of rescue should the need arise (Hatchet to the foot or something equally as stupid).

I carry a small store-bought first aid kit in my car, but that is mainly for one reason: In case I or my family or friends get minorly hurt or get a headache while away from home. Should I decide to stop on a roadside or any other situation in which I may need a kit, I'll have enough to get me started until help arrives--though that situation has yet to arise.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey everyone. I'm not even an EMT yet, I still have the written exam to take sometime next month hopefully. However, I'm wondering where I can find some supplies that seem to be most helpful, but hardest to locate. I'm looking for cravats mostly, to add to my personal trauma kit. If there's one thing my training taught me it's that an EMT with cravats can make a world of difference in almost any situation (splinting, bandaging, restraint, immobilization, etc.). So where do some of you recommend I find such supplies? I've tried several stores online, but the most I've found are gauze and blood stoppers and elastic san-adhesive tape.

Army surplus stores or local military hospital.

Here's a decent online store with good prices..................

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/emsunandge.html

5 for $9, they make great do-rags too! :)