Suggestions for Medic School

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
I have a question that I believe some here may be able to help me with. I just in the past month passed the NREMT-B test, got my county card and my ambulance certificate. I would seriously like to go to medic school as soon as possible, but here in CA the schools that i have found will not take a medic student until they have at a minimum of 6 months to a year of experience. In some cases it must be 911 experience. I have spoke with several companies and it does not seem that getting a job is going to be a problem, the problem is that I just cannot see waiting a year to begin medic training.
I guess my real problem is why can't you begin work and begin working on becoming a medic at the same time? By the time you finish school you will already have the required 6 months to year training and be actually in the field seeing firsthand the Medic's at work.

I am considering going out of state to do my Paramedic training, taking the NREMT-P test and coming back to CA and getting my CA license.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

atlasD

Forum Probie
Emts here in my midwestern state, if they want a little bit of experience before moving on to medic school they must move out of state to find anything non volly based. Basically my only option is to go straight to medic and maybe try to get on a volly crew.

I have no suggestions or advice. My assumption is that you are going to read many responses on this board telling you to take the extra experience. Only saying.

mikethemedic

Forum Probie
book

great book is the emergency medicine manual by juddith titinielli (our classes main textbook)

SoCal

Forum Crew Member
Look up Bakersfield College paramedic program.

You can look at Google under Bakersfield College Allied Health Dept.

daltpark

Forum Ride Along
school

It seems like a lot of time, but it really is best to get some training under you prior to starting paramedic school. You have a lot more clinical time in medic school and experience is definately a plus.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Look up Bakersfield College paramedic program.

You can look at Google under Bakersfield College Allied Health Dept.

Good program. I didn't go there, but I did work in Bako as a new medic, and most of the preceptors there are solid medics, and you WILL get a :censored::censored::censored::censored: ton of good calls especially on the east side.

Also, NCTI(AMR's in house) does not require any field experience, IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

atropine

Forum Captain
go to medic school as quick as you can, remember most FD's wont hire you without, and if you don't go the fire route at least it is agreat stepping job to RN or RT:rolleyes:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
go to medic school as quick as you can, remember most FD's wont hire you without, and if you don't go the fire route at least it is agreat stepping job to RN or RT:rolleyes:

or PA/MD