Not open for further replies.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
15L on a NRB

Lets see what the medics say

Basics cant call a Code Stroke

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
"if they are seizing, stick a spoon in their mouth so they don't swallow their tounge." (heard this in the urban setting)

"if the child is seizing, throw rubbing alcohol on him to stop the seizure" (see this more often in the Hispanic population)

"my child needs an ambulance!!!! he has stomach pain!!!!!" 8 minutes later: "the ambulance hasn't arrived yet!!! (what's the problem?) He has SEVERE abdominal pain, and need the ambulance right now!!!!" well, since it's severe, I'll be sure to put it at the top of the list.

"the IV lock of life is exactly what the patient needs"

EMTs save Paramedics is pretty stupid, but "BLS before ALS" is a little more solid

"lights and sirens need to be used when transporting the patient to the hospital, even if the patient is stable and walked him or herself to the back of the ambulance"

"Posting ambulance will reduce response times" despite numerous studies that show that system deployment doesn't work.

for BLS, "if the person is in pain, give them low flow oxygen... after all, oxygen has a side effect of giving pain relief"

"dispatchers can't do anything right; they often ALS a BLS call or BLS an ALS call; a monkey could do their job better" (said by many field providers who have never tried to dispatch, yet they know they could do the job better)

oh, and my suburban favorite, "it's wrong to have the two ALS providers who are there and were cancelled assist you in a non-technical lift or carry down when the patient doesn't need ALS care, better to request the FD who is going to take 10 minutes and wait until they get there and delay transport to the hospital" (said to me by 2 suburban medics, while two urban medics say "screw that, we have no problems spending 5 minutes helping you guys out")

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Nurse describing an EKG of a STEMI patient being prepared for transfer to a facility with a cath lab, "We don't do axis deviation."

medic417

The Truth Provider
When EMTs say "I don't feel comfortable running this call"

Thats when I say well I guess you better find a new job or take this patient.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Healthcare Providers complaining about their jobs on an online forum viewable by the people we serve...... that is my bugg-a-boo

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Healthcare Providers complaining about their jobs on an online forum viewable by the people we serve...... that is my bugg-a-boo

Great point. Especially since their IP is easily found and traced back to the area they practice or at least post from. Internet anonimity isnt so anonymous.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Ehh, I'm pretty sure if I went to a forum for outside sales, or auto technicians, or any other profession I'd see much of the same if not worse.

We're not saints, and building a false level of expectation is a good way to ensure a breach of public trust at some point. See firefighters post-9/11 and what's happening to them now in some areas as an example.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Thanks Mikie. Now that everyone else has once again thrashed the opiod issue around..

"I had the right of way, I had my lights and sirens on, and he just t-boned my rig for no reason" (didn't stop or adequately slow down going into intersection against the lights, or "curtseyed", then got hit).

Another driver, same issue, civilian car:"But officer, I looked and no one was there, so I drove on through,and out of nowhere...".

Last edited by a moderator:

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
How about "we are in an ambulance, we can park wherever we want" usually this statements occurs when you aren't even on a call.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Ehh, I'm pretty sure if I went to a forum for outside sales, or auto technicians, or any other profession I'd see much of the same if not worse..

Those are not public service professions, just saying. I am not the one who created this site but I'm sure the intent was for people to be able to discuss the job not complain about it and mock our patients.

My two cents..... that being said I tend to carry myself with a large amount of professionalism in my Job. Maybe my standards are to high...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I have a very high degree of professionalism as well. But there's no reason to lock step either. Go to a physician's or nurses forum. The same stuff is there.

Those are SERVICE jobs. Perhaps if public SERVICE professionals did a little less to create and uphold an image the public wouldn't be quite as shocked when we reveal ourselves human.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Thread cleaned up a little. Please keep it on topic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The phrase "just saying" or "that's just what I think" or "that's just my opinion," since those are normally thrown in as an attempt to prevent critical analysis of the actual post.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh and im tired of hearing "unit 115, code 1 code 3"

Assuming "code 1" means what I think it means ("We have a report to be relayed to the ED"), it's either more widely used that I thought it was or I know what company you work for (is it based in OC?).

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
When people say a patient has the odor of Alcohol on their breath

No they dont, they have the odor of an Alcoholic Beverage,

Status
Not open for further replies.