Students and other EMT`s on Ride Alongs?

kknp4life

Forum Ride Along
If its a EMT student then they get to work in their scope of practice and if its a ride along then they can only hold stuff for the medic and just sit there and can't get out of the truck if there's a car accident.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
I really wished that patient lifting and handling were a part of my clinicals. I especially wished it was allowed when I was paired with a double female crew and took some flak from some FireMedics for being "lazy" and not helping my crew lift.

I've also been working for a non-transport service for a year now, so I still have no experience in using a cot at all, I wonder how that will play out when I apply to some privates for the summer.

Lifting and moving PT's should be a part of the clinical experience, one of the first things I do with new students is to go over the ambulance and practice loading and unloading the stretcher. I generally expect medic students to have some knowledge ot stretcher operations, but Basic students we will start with all the bascis of lifting, moving PT's and stretcher operations, it's all part of the job.

One of our EMT-B class sessions met at a fire stations and that's all we did all night, load and unload. We all took turns being the patient, the one at the head, or the one at the feet. We practiced on the whole class (light-weight patients, average weight patients and "fluffy" ones).

Glucometry without an IV-certification? Is that on Paramedic orders?

It's written in our protocol, diabetic and anyone with altered mental status, EMT-B's can perform and report a finger stick for glucose levels.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
In our area, if they are a member of any surrounding area fire rescue dept, they can ride along and do everything at their currently released position. Preceptees, do what they are allowed as approved by the course they are in ( each jurisdiction is different, so we have to keep up on it. Preceptees are scheduled and approved thru the training division

New members without any training but are getting a feel... get to watch and help with basics minus the patient touching.

Public ride alongs and outside of our regional operating areas have to fill out liabilty release, get it notarized and approved by the Chief.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Part of it, yes... but not a very big part of it.

Especially considering many places wont let students handle the cots when a patient is on it.

Yes. At my agency, we will not allow students to move the Pt at all, but they can do vitals and Pt assessment, station duties, rig checks, etc.

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
I can't believe that some won't let ride-alongs do hardly anything. I've done shadowing as a civ interested in EMS, altho' I currently do work as a CNA-Acute Care speciality. Every time I've been treated as a team member. I've done everything from BGS to suctioning a ped to restocking to cleaning up to lifting a pt to vitals to loading and unloading the gurney (even tho' I'm almost to short) to everything. The paramedics I've been with, five different ones have all been awesome at answering my questions and helping me feel involved. They let me help on every call from an MI to a psych pt to a ped seizing to the normal BLS calls. It was awesome! :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If it's just a civi ride along, even if they're an EMT, why should they be doing anything? Chances are they're not covered under the services medical direction, and if they get hurt the rider is the one that's screwed since they have no recourse to get anything paid for by the company they were riding with.

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
True. I see your point. Does that mean that I should refuse to do what the paramedic tells me to do, because I may not be covered? Is it any different if it's complete volunteer? Just curious

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
True. I see your point. Does that mean that I should refuse to do what the paramedic tells me to do, because I may not be covered? Is it any different if it's complete volunteer? Just curious

If you arent covered by insurance, i wouldnt take any risks. Students here are required to be insured before going to any of our internship hours. Preceptors will let students do just about anything within our/their comfort zone. I dont imagine they would be quick to allow a student to attempt a surgical airway, but anything else is fair game depending on the preceptor. Intubations, IOs, IVs, meds, cardioversion/pacing...not uncommon for a student to perform here.

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
If you arent covered by insurance, i wouldnt take any risks. Students here are required to be insured before going to any of our internship hours. Preceptors will let students do just about anything within our/their comfort zone. I dont imagine they would be quick to allow a student to attempt a surgical airway, but anything else is fair game depending on the preceptor. Intubations, IOs, IVs, meds, cardioversion/pacing...not uncommon for a student to perform here.
I guess I'll have to double check that. Honestly, it never entered my head to ask about or even think about insurance. I would never do anything outside of my scope of practice, but other than that I would be comfortable doing whatever the preceptor told me to do. I guess maybe I got some out of the ordinary paramedics or something.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I guess I'll have to double check that. Honestly, it never entered my head to ask about or even think about insurance. I would never do anything outside of my scope of practice, but other than that I would be comfortable doing whatever the preceptor told me to do. I guess maybe I got some out of the ordinary paramedics or something.

If being insured isnt a requirement in your area, id bet that preceptors will be fairly cautious with allowing you to do anything in the field. You should definitely talk to your instructors/preceptors about it before you get out there.

Performing tasks outside of your scope of practice might be allowed/common where you live, another topic you should speak with your preceptors about. For example, during our EMT-I internships, we were allowed to perform interventions that Intermediates/Paramedics would usually do as long as we were supervised by an ALS provider. While i was technically still an EMT-B, i was starting IVs, IOs, using advanced airways, etc.

Your instructors should be speaking with you about what you may, or may not do, on your ride a longs. Its different everywhere.

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
If being insured isnt a requirement in your area, id bet that preceptors will be fairly cautious with allowing you to do anything in the field. You should definitely talk to your instructors/preceptors about it before you get out there.

Performing tasks outside of your scope of practice might be allowed/common where you live, another topic you should speak with your preceptors about. For example, during our EMT-I internships, we were allowed to perform interventions that Intermediates/Paramedics would usually do as long as we were supervised by an ALS provider. While i was technically still an EMT-B, i was starting IVs, IOs, using advanced airways, etc.

Your instructors should be speaking with you about what you may, or may not do, on your ride a longs. Its different everywhere.

Thanks! More questions to ask my awesome preceptors! :) I'm not sure about the performing tasks outside of my scope of practice. I do know that as a CNA I'm allowed to do things like that if delegated by someone who has higher training and if I get training from them. Maybe it's the same on the ambulance? I think I need to ask more questions and get a better picture of what I can and cannot do on the ridealongs.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Thanks! More questions to ask my awesome preceptors! :) I'm not sure about the performing tasks outside of my scope of practice. I do know that as a CNA I'm allowed to do things like that if delegated by someone who has higher training and if I get training from them. Maybe it's the same on the ambulance? I think I need to ask more questions and get a better picture of what I can and cannot do on the ridealongs.

Yup, try to avoid those awkward moments as best you can! A medic might ask you to quickly start an IV on the patient, not knowing that you havent been trained to do so. Its quite alright to not stick you patient, but your preceptor should have a good idea of what your role should be before you get moving.

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
Yup, try to avoid those awkward moments as best you can! A medic might ask you to quickly start an IV on the patient, not knowing that you havent been trained to do so. Its quite alright to not stick you patient, but your preceptor should have a good idea of what your role should be before you get moving.

Alright, thanks! Trust me, next time I do a ride along, I'm going to be getting some things clear before we end up in the field!