Student Riders

EMedCounsel

Forum Probie
EMT/medic students:

What have you liked best/least about your preceptors?

What have they done that really helped you to learn, and what have they done that didn't help you?

What could they have done better/differently to make your ride time the most beneficial to you?

Please indicate in your response if you were being precepted as a medic or an EMT.

Thanks guys!

Angel

Paramedic
Medic:
Being put through "surprise" scenarios. Ie I could be researching on the computer and he'd run up and say we got a call an I'd run it as if I was in the field. The more hands on deck and actual equipment uses the better. (A mock code, we tubed, places patches ect, no iv though).
Then a discussion after on what was good, and what should be changed.
Some positive feedback goes along way.

There was more but this left a great impression.

Things no to do: ignore your student until the next call or half heartedly ask if they need help on anything. I could always tell and always said no, even if I did. Your motivation and excitement to teach super important

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
The best preceptor I had was the one I could tell actually cared about the outcome of my preception. He took the time during checkout to walk me through everything without shortcuts, broke open saline and IV start kits, cannulas, capnography, etc etc etc and showed me how to set them up... the works. I was lucky in that my EMT class was very hands-on but it's still nice to work on the equipment that you'll actually be using in the field before you're sitting on the back of the truck with a medic asking you to set up a saline lock and you're fumbling around in the jump bag looking for the right pieces... nothing you can do will build enough confidence in someone that they won't still be nervous in that situation but you can at least prepare them to do the correct thing, while nervous.

The most important part, in my experience, is actually giving a crap. Too many folks don't that you'll stand out if you do.

Oh, and don't assume anything is too simple. I still remember screwing up a cannula during my recruit period. Those are the things folks might be afraid to ask about (thinking, "I should know this") but you shouldn't be afraid to demonstrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leatherpuke

Forum Crew Member
My preceptor spent some time talking to me to try and get a feel for how well I understood different aspects of care. Then he made sure I understood the protocols and what was expected of me.

My first call was a cerebral hemorrhage with full blown seizure activity. My preceptor sat in the back of the ambulance and just watched me work. He gave advice and hints, but he pretty much let me treat the patient. I'm sure if I had been about to screw something up he would have jumped in but putting me on the spot with a critical patient right away taught me more than I learned in 5 months of school.

This was for AEMT

Last edited by a moderator:

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
I did my basic and my advanced at the same agency with the same guys. They were amazing, and taught me how to deal with students when we get them.

They went through the whole rig with me, pulled out everything, and even the ALS stuff I wouldn't use, they taught me, which I really appreciated. Then we went over drugs, everything about each drug, it was great.

The best thing was it was 1 am and I was asleep during one of my advanced times. They came in yelling there is a code in the day room! So I stumble out, and they had a dummy on the floor saying it's a code, I'm lead, go. I ran the full code, and since they knew I already worked on a medic unit, they expected me to run the full thing, drugs and all (They were lenient on the medic stuff, but still expected me to know the basics of that aspect). It was great training, and when I was done with my rides, said if I ever wanted to work there, give the supervisor a call, and he would find work for me.