Student Clinical Tracking Software

blevinsjosh

Forum Probie
Is anyone the clinical manager for their education department and if so.... Do you know of a program that we can use for scheduling students for clinical time and track skills as well.

OP
OP
B

blevinsjosh

Forum Probie
Exell

Currently Have a spred sheet set up for tracking hours done. Excell dos not have the capabilitie of operating a calder that can schedule students for ride time. We are looking for a program similar to fisdap that is not internet based.

OP
OP
B

blevinsjosh

Forum Probie
fisdap

I am reviewing fisdap now. looking for more of an offline program that manages more of the school as well... It is looking like I am going to have to have a program developed

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
My school used "Comptracker" (http://www.studentlogbook.com/home) for tracking skills. It could be put on a PDA and used. It was somewhat inflexible and could be a pain to use at times although it did have its good points.

18G

Paramedic
FISDAP is common around here. I dislike it personally, its not the most intuitive. Clinical sites are able to access it and input available shifts though. Not sure how you guys handle clinical scheduling but an online program in my opinion is more versatile than a local program.

I don't know of anything else other than FISDAP.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I use FISDAP to at my school. They charged us $100 to a key. Is this normal?

18G

Paramedic
I was never charged for FISDAP... access to FISDAP should be included in the programs budget.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Either way, you pay for it - if the program includes it in the total class cost, or as part of a clinical admin fee, or as a separate FISDAP fee. Partially this depends on how your "total cost" is billed. If you are in a college setting, you might pay per credit, and then admin fees and books on top of that.

My school rolled books, FISDAP, etc. into the total fee for the class... no hidden fees other than paying the Registry to test.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I don't see why having it as a web-based program is bad?

I was able to access, check, and schedule my clinical hours from anywhere... even my iPhone.
I could enter data and do clinical reports when I was actually on ride time, rather than having to wait until I got home or to school again to enter data.
I could see my stats, and how I was progressing towards my minimum goals to progress to the next level of clinicals... if I was short assessing abdominal pain patients, I could correct this by making an effort to "look" for abdominal pain patients in the ED when I was there on clinical (might not be in the district I was assigned, but I could check with the patient's RN and it was fine if they were OK with it)

FISDAP is better than any other option out there. Further, their exams are VERY good, and from what I've seen with my classmates, seemed to be pretty good at predicting those of us that would pass/fail registry written.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Our clinical director schedules tracks all of our hours/skills via Excel.

I wish we had an online program like FISDAP to make changes on the fly.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Many institutions has started using FISDAP for many reasons. One, it allows multiple schools to arrange clinical arrangements without conflicting with each other, it allows tracking of students and feed back and the main reason is that it coincides with many of the required paper work in clinical requirements for National Accreditation of EMS programs.

The downside is that is very lacking on documentation purposes and the majority of the programs I have consulted with still requires duplication of student/clinical documentation for that reason. Hopefully, they will soon change or improve this portion as more and more emphasis is placed upon better charting and documentation within EMS.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Rid - Not sure what you've seen... we had a single page 2-part carbonless copy sheet that we got our preceptor's signature on, as well as a log of our patients and the chief complaint.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Local school here uses it. It allows for very specific tracking of each shift and one can compare how many times a skill was practiced in classroom to how many successful attempts the student had on that same skill in the classroom. You can also track "Eureka" points when the student has breakthroughs and success rate (at IVs or intubations for example) skyrocket.

Downside is the cost, as well as how much time it takes students to sign online on slow connections and recopy every skill box by box onto the computer, with multiple pages (each loading slowly) for every patient encounter. This might lead to students not logging all attempts or encounters.

OP
OP
B

blevinsjosh

Forum Probie
Fisdap

Fisdap charges the student. It depends on what options are used. The scheduler for the the medic program is 40 bucks per year. Then the testing section is i believe 60 so the price sounds fair

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Used FISDAP. Loathed it.

Later!

--Coop