stripping an IV Vs. Establish IV

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Need help studying for A.O. position.
I know that EMT's can strip an IV but what does establish an IV mean?
Would establishing an IV be BLS or ALS?

Thanks

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Need help studying for A.O. position.
I know that EMT's can strip an IV but what does establish an IV mean?
Would establishing an IV be BLS or ALS?

Thanks

Establishing an IV line would likely mean starting an IV line.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Same answer as above.

OP
OP
S

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you, for some reason it was just throwing me off and was over thinking it. I was thinking it would be called starting a line to get vein access for ALS and establishing a line would be where the EMT comes into play. Basically I was thinking stripping/establishing were the same thing.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
What the heck is stripping an IV? That's a term I've never heard. Maybe discontinue?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What the heck is stripping an IV? That's a term I've never heard. Maybe discontinue?

Glad I'm not the only one :unsure:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Stripping an IV is normally getting the IV ready to be placed. So getting the Saline out of the bag and connecting it with a drop chamber and tubing along with attaching a Saline Lock to it and then flushing out all of the air from the tubing.

So all the medic has to do is place the needle, draw blood (if in protocols), and then attach the end of the tubing to the cath.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Stripping an IV is normally getting the IV ready to be placed. So getting the Saline out of the bag and connecting it with a drop chamber and tubing along with attaching a Saline Lock to it and then flushing out all of the air from the tubing.

So all the medic has to do is place the needle, draw blood (if in protocols), and then attach the end of the tubing to the cath.
I have always understood that as "flooding" the IV line. Effectively it is the same thing as what you have described. So, I guess I have learned a new (to me) term for the normal activity of getting an IV line ready for use.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I have always understood that as "flooding" the IV line. Effectively it is the same thing as what you have described. So, I guess I have learned a new (to me) term for the normal activity of getting an IV line ready for use.

I haven't heard either term, I've always just said 'prepping' the line.

I also would prefer to do it myself unless absolutely necessary. I'm rather particular about how I like things laid out and prepared. It's not like it takes very long...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have heard the term before but it had a different meaning. Where I heard it it meant taking out a line.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For my area it is common for EMT programs to teach "stripping a IV" "spiking a bag". There are several names for it.

It is also very common for medics to ask for it to be done due to short transport times. The medic will start the IV and draw blood as I set the IV up.

OP
OP
S

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Here in California, I hear it from almost every paramedic. "Hey strip me an IV bag."

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Just something that shows the regional differences in terminology. It's pretty much inevitable in a country this size. I know I was given some pretty blank stares the first time I asked someone to go get the "pram" out here on the east coast. Apparently that's an exclusively Colorado thing to call the stretcher. That and using "Code 3" and "Code 2" to signify emergent vs. non-emergent.

OP
OP
S

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
That's interesting how different areas have their own slang. I've never heard of the word pram to describe a "stretcher," we use gurney.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
In my area, San Francisco Bay Area, I've only heard "spike" eg "Can you spike normal saline for me?"

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It is spike a bag and flush the line. And pram is the British English term for gurney.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We use stretcher to say stretcher...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Just something that shows the regional differences in terminology. It's pretty much inevitable in a country this size. I know I was given some pretty blank stares the first time I asked someone to go get the "pram" out here on the east coast. Apparently that's an exclusively Colorado thing to call the stretcher. That and using "Code 3" and "Code 2" to signify emergent vs. non-emergent.

Especially because a pram is a basket with wheels that you put a baby in.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Wait, what? Do I actually know term that you guys don't? *enjoys this for a moment* :rofl:

Stripping means to pinch the tube with your fingers and push the contents down by sliding your fingers down the line.. It's done (or USED TO be done) when IVs are running slow or aren't running at all, or there's a suspected blockage in the patient's vein.

You're not supposed to do it.. Like, ever.. It creates a high pressure at the IV site, and you can push clots or anything else off the cannula site back up into the patients' vein, and you can rupture a vein..