Strange Weather!!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi folks! In my neck of the woods we AS A RULE... :rolleyes: do not have major thunders storms and bolt lighting. Last week we had a big thunder/lighting storm with bolt lighting. All throughout the county there were quite a few lighting strikes, as far as I have heard, no victims. So my questions is has anyone ran a call on a lighting strike victim and what was the plan of care? ( by the way, I hate thunder and lighting almost as much as NEEDLES! YIKES! :eek:)

OP
OP
Airwaygoddess

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
RE: Thunder and Lighting!

I felt like I was in the Midwest, ( S.D.) I was waiting to see the mosquitos the size of humming birds! :p

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Lightning strikes generally have pretty extreme nerve damage. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance and the human nervous system is created to conduct electrical impulses. So the visible trauma is the least of your worries. Also, electricity will always go to ground. There will be an exit wound. Generally the feet.

Also, safety first! Make sure the scene is safe for you first.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
My plan is to send in the rookie first :) !

Seriously, be sure things are safe. I have worked several lightning injuries both in the field and in the burn center. Since it is a mjor electrocution, be sure that potential spinal injuries are treated and secured. Like high voltage electrocutions, cardiac arrythmias, and nuero deficts can be seen. Explosive "blow outs" where exit wounds may be seen, as well as a "fern leaf" or "featherl like" appearance, may be seen on the outside skin.

Cardiac arrythmias, can be seen up to 48 post incident, that is why most patients should be admitted and observed for that length of time, even if there is no appearant injuries.

R/r 911

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
I am still waiting for my strike, There is a marked increase in IQ for those that survive their strike.
I think it could be very therapeutic, Maybe offset the damage done by the lead paint from my childhood.

There were 2 lightning deaths this summer within 100 miles. One was on the dock and was then found in the water, The 2nd was just over the boarder in Ft. Francis ON. Canada, a 14yom on a soccer field. My 14 yo grandson was playing baseball that week in I falls, Stone throw away.
When the detectors alarm where i work in my main occupation, (mechanic) we have to clear off equipment within 1000 ft. of loaded blast holes, until the detector is silent for like 20 min(?) (that detector is set for a 10 mile radius)