Stopping The Truck To Analyze The Rhythm??

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
OK folks, here's one for you...

When you’re running a code do you stop the truck to analyze the rhythm prior to delivering a shock?

Here are a couple of points that might result in different answers.

1. Do you use a manual defibrillator or an automatic defibrillator?

2. Do you use pads or paddles?

3. How long is your normal transport time?

Where I live, I have a 30 minute run on a 2 lane busy highway to get to the hospital. I use a Lifepack 12 with pads in the Manual mode.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
we use a lifepack 12 too in manual mode, as for stopping to read the rhythm, try to read it first and can usually get a good one with out having to stop. and depends, transport time can be anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, and even longer if on a transfer.

Icarus

Forum Ride Along
I've never stopped to analyze (granted, this was the medic's decision and not mine), and it seems to work.
Use a semi-automatic defib (Zoll E-series) with pads. Normal transport time is less than 7 minutes.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I cannot say that I ever stopped to analyze before coding, but in the same breath say it happens seldom that we code in the back of our vehicles. It does not happen often, usually we code on scene and depends on the outcome of the whole situation before we elect to transport (depends on ETA to hospital as well)

One of the reasons that I have to stop would be if the situation is completely impossible to treat by one rescuer, then I would request the assistance of my partner. But then again, you are trained in Mega Code...!?

I have noticed interference on general transports whilst moving, but never so bad that the rhythm was completely unrecognizable... if so, rather be sure and double check!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unless you are obtaining an artifact rhythm then there is no reason to stop. Personally, I will patient, check leads, electrodes, before doing any treatment (remember treat the patient, not the monitor). Then deliver therapy, most of the time the driver never knows about it & why should they?

R/r 911

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The book tells you to stop the truck before analyzing.

My instructor says that 99% of the time that's not necessary, and it sounds like most of you are in agreement. I can see why... doesn't really seem to be in the best interest of the patient to be stopping the truck every 2 minutes.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Nope I don't. No need. I've stopped the truck to get a BP, but not to analyze a rhythm.

basic

Forum Crew Member
I was taught to pull over and analyze, but have no experience in the field yet.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I get it on scene or before we start rolling. Also got it enroute without problem.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
To answer your initials questions:
1. We use Manual Defibrilators
2. We use the paddles (Unless we are pacing and the pads are already attached, once again a cost thing)
3. Transport time is from 5 min to 45 min, also depending on the time of day and flow of traffic.

I would not stop to diagnose or enterpret a rythm. If you are talking about distinguishing between the so called "fine v-fib" and what may be an asystole with some interference, you would not only need to stop, but most likely switch the vehicle off. So what do you do then...The treatment of cardiac arrest is currently moving more and more to, with the focus heavily laid on; compression. So if you continue with compressions, until a time presents for you to properly analize the rythym (i.e. when the vehicle stops at a intersection), i don't think any one can point fingers in you direction.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
We use manual defibs, but they have AED capability - I think most newer models are coming with this type of feature. We use the quick combo patches, but when I started in EMS we used the paddles. As far as transport times goes...it depends on where in the county we go. There are some places where it could take 25-30 minutes to the hospital...but the lions share of calls are about 10 minutes away.

As far as stopping the bus to analyze...it depends, but most of the time I won't stop.

skyemt

Forum Captain
The book tells you to stop the truck before analyzing.

My instructor says that 99% of the time that's not necessary, and it sounds like most of you are in agreement. I can see why... doesn't really seem to be in the best interest of the patient to be stopping the truck every 2 minutes.

I was taught to pull over and analyze, but have no experience in the field yet.

we were taught to absolutely not pull over before analyzing... the equipment now is capable of analyzing while enroute.