Stethoscope, more of a symbol than a tool

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Personally I find stethoscope around the neck to be a little bit cringey unless you just used it

My point exactly. I wear mine around the neck only if 1) I'm about to use it, 2) I just used it and haven't stuffed it into the pocket yet, 3) I don't want to leave it on the gurney (Littmann's tend to grow legs and walk away). Having it as a 'status symbol' is akin to the 'EMS' collar pins, it's funny to see at 1st, then you just feel sorry for whoever has them.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
Lol, no, I don't suppose a calculator on a lanyard would sway my opinion. But he has a better chance than if he wasn't wearing it. :)

Kevinf

Forum Captain
...Personally I find stethoscope around the neck to be a little bit cringey unless you just used it, but whatever.

I personally find it comical when my partner gets the old neck scope caught on the patient as the stretcher is being unloaded. :eek:

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a vivid memory of reading a study where patients rated physicians as more knowledgeable when they wore a stethoscope around their neck vs not wearing one. I can't find the study right now, so it's possible I'm making that up. However, a number of studies have been done on how physician appearance influences how kind, competent, etc, patients perceive their providers to be. Other factors are likely more important, I don't know, but appearance and image certainly do matter too.

Personally I find stethoscope around the neck to be a little bit cringey unless you just used it, but whatever.
There's another study that says you are far less likely to be sued if you are personable vs skilled. The study goes on to show that patients include responders/doctors in lawsuits if they were curt or hasty even though they did their job properly. Those who may have caused the problem/misdiagnosis but were nice were often left out.

Takeaway: Patients know nothing.

OP
OP
R

RobertAlfanoNJEMT

Forum Lieutenant
My point exactly. I wear mine around the neck only if 1) I'm about to use it, 2) I just used it and haven't stuffed it into the pocket yet, 3) I don't want to leave it on the gurney (Littmann's tend to grow legs and walk away). Having it as a 'status symbol' is akin to the 'EMS' collar pins, it's funny to see at 1st, then you just feel sorry for whoever has them.
I put mine on for every call I go on.. We have some on the rig but I don't really wanna use one that's been in fourty different people's ears... Most of our EMTs where their own steths

Reuben De La O

Forum Ride Along
I agree with you to an extent. I do believe that they do not need to be worn all the time. Not to mention that they cause strains on your next! Trust me, I wore my stethoscope about 3 times a week during clinicals and class for at least four hours, neck started to hurt. Took it off and didn't wear it unless I was just finishing up with it, My neck instantly felt better.

As for a symbol, stethoscopes play a huge role in patient care. I personally have a Littmann Classic SE II. I paid 80 for it. It is not right for me. I can't hear a thing out of it somedays. Worse in the rig. Some people I'm sure buy their stethoscopes by the price. Others buy them because they have a good reputation. I always tell students and other people to try a bunch of different stethoscopes and see which one works for you. I wouldn't recommend using a disposable one. They are not nearly as good as the ones you can buy.

All in all, Don't wear them on your neck. Get one that is right for you.

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
I worked with a girl in the ED and she wore one. She had no creditentals other then a CNA and that was questionable. I asked her why she wears a scope and said told me "If I ever get pulled over I can tell the cops I'm a nurse." I lost a few brain cells after she told me that. It drove me nuts because I asked her to practice using the scope to listen to lung sounds or take a b/p manually. She refused saying "It's just an accessorie." I lost all hope for her. The hospital I did work at is closing so the sooner the better.

Attachments

• tumblr_m9qwwkC2sK1qbp9dno1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m9qwwkC2sK1qbp9dno1_500.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 174

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
Today we celebrate (if you so choose) the birth of the father of the stethoscope, René Laennec...just another useless fact to impress your colleagues or win on Jeopardy some day.

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
I feel like the stethoscope has become more of a symbol than an actual tool. It has limited uses, you can listen to someone's breathing, oscillate their bp, and a couple of other things but I mean I don't know that it is so important that everyone has to be wearing one all the time, and that we can't use the cheap disposable ones that are used in trauma bays. I feel like it is mostly a way of saying hey look I do medical stuff or a way to represent your status. Also with the diversity of stethoscopes I feel like people also use it to express their personal tastes too. Like how people add something to their school uniform to show their individualism. Let me know what you guys think..
I have a stethoscope. It is a personal stethoscope. It is a symbol of the success I have had over the years, being the first in my family to get into college, and being the first on both sides of my family working hard to get a good career in the medical field. It is also a tool at the same time. I use it to listen to heart and lung sounds, and learn the correct places to put it. I learn how to listen for abnormal heart sounds. It is what connects me to my patients. If I have an elderly lady, and she cannot hear what I am saying, you bet I'm gonna let her listen to me talk gently into the stethoscope, so she can hear. It's a symbol, but a meaningful one.
You personalize it so you know it's yours, and you personalize it so it stands out, just like your patient care should. You make it your own because it means something to you.

Attachments

• stethoscope.GIF
    stethoscope.GIF
    126.1 KB · Views: 205

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I have started taking my assessment seriously now in order to break bad habits that I have developed over the years of working in IFT only companies and I consider it being one of my prized tools.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
This is my stethoscope. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My stethoscope is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my stethoscope is useless. Without my stethoscope, I am useless. I must place my stethoscope true. I must listen better than my enemy who is trying to kill my patient. I must find him before he ruins my day.

ORcowgrrl

Forum Ride Along
The first thing I added to my BLS toolkit was a stethoscope. I live in a community of retirees who commonly have lung and blood pressure issues, so...kinda need that steth for keeping an eye (or should I say, ear?) on those things.

Now, if we want to talk quality, that's a different story...my instructor for my EMT-B class said he almost stole a flight medic's cardiology stethoscope after using it roughly 50' from the chopper to check his patient's lung sounds, without any difficulty. (My guess is...it was platinum!)

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I think stethoscopes are a great tool that are very under-utilized in EMS.

However, I believe that they are also very valuable as a symbol. Patients view them like a white lab coat. Symbols can be just as important as tools.