staying an emt -b or moving up?

emtB123

Forum Probie
Hi!
I'm a newly licensed EMT basic, I'm on an advanced service, (not als) but its through the local medical group so there's options for full time service. I'm wondering if I should get my aemt license and then medic, or should stay a basic provider for awhile then move up? My concern is that a majority of hospital based services are looking for higher licensures, I live in Wisconsin so our protocols are pretty innovative even at the basic level. However I can't get IV access or anything like that.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you want to be a medic, go through medic. AEMT is pretty pointless. Apply and start paramedic school, and continue gaining your experience while you're in class.

OP
OP
emtB123

emtB123

Forum Probie
Should I stay an EMT for awhile? I mean I just got my license. The only field experice I have is my clinical experience from class. Or should I just go for it?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you're working through class, that'll be plenty of experience for you to get a feel for the job. I, along with several other regulars here, went straight through with little to no experience and did great. It's not uncommon at all.