State Reciprocity and Licensure

rmena

Forum Crew Member
Ok, I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I am new so please bare with me. So I am taking the NREMT-P test here in a couple weeks and was looking to find a job. The thing is, my state is super over saturated right now and so I was looking to find a state that I could get licensure with to go work in that state. First, could you learn me on how/what reciprocity is? Second, if a state does not have reciprocity, what is the process to get licensure? The state I am coming from is Utah and the states I would love to work in are as follows: CA, NV, AZ, WA, ID, OR, OH, CO, TX, TN, SC, FL, OK, WY, MT

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Washington requires the program you went to school to have CAAHEP accreditation. My guess since you are taking the NREMT-P that your school has that. The only other requirement is that you have an agency in WA that will allow you to affiliate with them. So it kind of sucks.... you need to get a job before you can get your state card that will allow you to work. Not impossible by any stretch but sadly a lot of employers want people with their state card first since it can take a month or three for Washington to get around to sending you the card.

OP
OP
R

rmena

Forum Crew Member
So, do you just submit resumes to different agencies so you can submit for the state card?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Not that simple. The company or agency needs to sponsor you first which means getting a job with them. So yeah you need to apply and get a job then they will send in paperwork to the state which takes a while to process.

Long story short you need to get a job in Washington before you can get your license.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I am new so please bare with me. So I am taking the NREMT-P test here in a couple weeks and was looking to find a job. The thing is, my state is super over saturated right now and so I was looking to find a state that I could get licensure with to go work in that state. First, could you learn me on how/what reciprocity is? Second, if a state does not have reciprocity, what is the process to get licensure? The state I am coming from is Utah and the states I would love to work in are as follows: CA, NV, AZ, WA, ID, OR, OH, CO, TX, TN, SC, FL, OK, WY, MT

South Carolina is simple. National registry plus fingerprints, and it takes about 12 days to get your state cert. Texas is a similar process, but takes much longer. For florida, the national registry will make you eligible for their state test. I haven't taken it so I can't comment on the difficulty.

I work in central South Carolina now. If you have questions about the area I might be able to help out.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Boo SC, yay NC! We're straightforward with NREMT-P -> NC EMT-P.

OP
OP
R

rmena

Forum Crew Member
how likely would it be that I got a job as a FF/Medic in any of those states? In Utah there are hundreds testing for 2 slots like every 6 months to a year. Its like impossible to get on!

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
how likely would it be that I got a job as a FF/Medic in any of those states? In Utah there are hundreds testing for 2 slots like every 6 months to a year. Its like impossible to get on!

Relatively uncommon to have FF/Paramedics in North Carolina. My department has a hiring pool open for them right now (you can go check out the employment forum for information on that), but we're one of the few. The North Carolina state EMS page lists just about all employment opportunities you'll find.

CA, OH, SC, AZ, WA, OR, TX, TN, and FL are common to have FF/Medics...but the markets are pretty saturated in many of those states (I can't speak to NV, ID, CO, OK, WY, or MT).