Starting training-Basics

KTess11

Forum Probie
Hi all:)
I start medical training in a few months then EMT training next year. My instructor told me that on the first day, we need to show up with closed toed shoes (obviously lol), a second hand watch, navy blue scrubs, and pen and paper. I already kind of knew all of this, but I was just curious if any of you had specifics? Certain shoes? (for training-plus we don't get to go on ambulance rides till we are second year) Certain second hand watch? or just something walmart maybe?

Anything will help!
Thanks;)

JeffT

Forum Probie
second hand watch from walmart should be fine... it's used to measure pulse and blood pressure, so you need to figure out when stuff is 10 (max time to measure pulse in unresponsive patient before you determine if cpr is necessary) seconds, 15 seconds (multiply times 4 to get pulse), or 30 seconds mostly (multiply times 2 for pulse)... sometimes 60 seconds too (measure full minute for pulse if there are weird patterns going on). splash proof watch may be good idea... kinda icky to think about but it could end up covered in blood or someone's insides someday.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I am curious, what is the "initial medical training" that is not EMT-B?

I wear a TimeX Ironman all day and love it. It is digital, but has a big display of seconds. Some folks prefer analog, personally I do not.

A cheap to middle of the road stethoscope couldn't hurt. Littmann Lightweight is as high as I would suggest for that level, but I know folks who got by with cheaper stethoscopes.