Starting pay

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm a CAD operator for an architectural firm. The pay is decent and insurance is included. I'll be 37 next month, and maybe somewhat foolishly I'm considering a career change. Starting out at those wages would be a huge pay cut. The paramedic I talked to said that there are always openings for prn positions. Do any of you work part-time and/or on call in addition to a full time job? If so, does this work well for you?

Yes people do it and yes it's quite easy to get a part time job. If you plan on working as a basic it's not too tough because you really aren't expected to know or do much. If you plan on moving on to become a paramedic it is still possible but not recommended. As a paramedic you are expected to have an extensive knowledge base and skill set that are ever changing and growing. By not applying yourself to this on a full time basis you will find it hard to keep skills sharp enough and you will likely not devote the time to research and education that a full time medic will.

laura_s

Forum Probie
i just finished my emt-b class and took my national today. before out class was over we had a meeting with 3 of the ambulance companies here in chicago and top pay for us is 9.00 a hour.. i think it stinks but im here because i want to do this job not for the money,, if i had to do it to feed my family there would be know way i could make it on this kind of money.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I haven't been able to find any kind of idea of pay around this area. One ambulance company is hiring and not even in my county. They give no idea of pay on their site. Guess I'll have to wait around and see. Would be good to know ahead of time, helps planning in other aspects of life.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
In reality, pay in other parts of the county does not matter because every area has it's own standard of living cost, and as such, pay is based off that.

Here in Texas (low standard of living cost) starting pay for an EMT is $10.00+

I make 8.50 =[

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
i just finished my emt-b class and took my national today. before out class was over we had a meeting with 3 of the ambulance companies here in chicago and top pay for us is 9.00 a hour.. i think it stinks but im here because i want to do this job not for the money,, if i had to do it to feed my family there would be know way i could make it on this kind of money.

I think that is why most of us are in this profession. I can't say I do it cause I love the money.

I laugh when people think I make lots of money.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I think that is why most of us are in this profession. I can't say I do it cause I love the money.

I laugh when people think I make lots of money.

Hahahaha Well, I guess we have to be doing this for reasons other than money. I'll be making $9/hour when I start.

And that's more than I make now. :sad:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Since this thread is back again I figured I would toss up my conversion.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ems_salary_benefits_042607.shtml Area 911 hospitals pay EMT's 15-22/hr, medics 24-33/hr. Privates pay BLS 10/hr, medics 19-22/hr.

There are cost of living calculators online that can give you a rough estimate of what you'll need to make to equal the standard of living where you're coming from.

I make high 13's/hour, In New York even if I was making the full 33/hr I would come up 10k short of breaking even.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Since this thread is back again I figured I would toss up my conversion.

I make high 13's/hour, In New York even if I was making the full 33/hr I would come up 10k short of breaking even.

One thing that many people overlook is that when comparing a region with a high cost of living and one of lower cost is how much you can save after covering your expenses. If one compares the two regions and comes to the conclusion that they can live pretty much the same on the new job's salary, the higher income area will be the better choice. Since salaries are higher there, any OT or side work will provide you with that much more disposable income, which you can use to pay off the mortgage, car, put into deferred comp, or just enjoy.

Another major consideration is what type of retirement will you be getting at the new job? Defined benefit or defined contribution? It's all about the best retirement. Many cannot afford to contribute much to their deferred comp, and a pension benefit will trump whatever you could have saved in the 401k/403b in 6-7 years or less. The checks will keep on coming until you're dead. If defined contribution is your only option, and all things are equal, then it's still beneficial to live in the higher income area, as you'll be able to contribute more, and get more $$$'s from the employer match since your base salary is higher.

In both cases, DB and DC, working in a high income area is the best bet. Your pension will be much greater in a high income area, as will the amount of funds allocated to the deferred comp. You can always take your retirement and move somewhere cheap with no city or state tax to give up. That's one of the reasons why it's all about the best retirement.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Let me correct that than:

Here in the DFW area, where it cost more than El Paso :p

Well the rumor is that AMR is moving into town. They are going to try and take over county 911. If it happens it means 35G+ salary ^_^

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
Brand new medic - 17/hr
Brand new basic - 11-12ish (I think)

This is for the 911 service, the private service is a lot lower I'm sure.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Something else of importance - when gas prices rise again, various commodities will follow. Besides your gas bill, your food (milk $4.50/gal!), really many goods and services will rise again. I observed this when I was living near Charleston SC back in '07. Rent was cheap, but that was about it. Food, gas, car insurance, dining, etc. were nearly as expensive as in NY. Services such as auto repair, mani/pedi (wife) and such were actually more expensive, probably due to less customer volume. Something else to consider. Same thing here in Northern VA, at least until the economic crisis took hold. Now things are better, but that could always change. If you're living in a higher income area, your OT and side job $$$'s will go a lot farhter.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
basics 13.60
intermediates 15.75
Paramedics 19.90

All with full benefits. County run not fire not union. Cost of living cheap.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Generally my town in south Georgia has low wages for all jobs compared to most places. I talked to a paramedic last night, and he told me that EMT intermediate starting pay is 8.50/hr and paramedic is 10.50/hr.
What is the starting pay in other parts of the country?

If they really are paying that low I am not sure how your area doesnt have a severe paid full time EMT/Paramedic shortage. Hell Taco Bell is starting off at like 9.00 an hour now.

medic417

The Truth Provider
If they really are paying that low I am not sure how your area doesnt have a severe paid full time EMT/Paramedic shortage. Hell Taco Bell is starting off at like 9.00 an hour now.

The reason there are no shortages is the diploma mills keep advertising that it is easy to get a good paying job and so many fail to research actual pay in their area. Then after they are certified they feel they must work at that level or be a failure. Then they quickly burn out but guess what another batch of new eager people just graduated.

medic417

The Truth Provider

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
basics 13.60
intermediates 15.75
Paramedics 19.90

All with full benefits. County run not fire not union. Cost of living cheap.
That's quite good actually, especially with benfits as well. But how many people actually live in the same area they work in? You've said it's the poorest part of Texas...if people live elsewhere, how does that pay level translate for more pricery areas?