Starting a contracting business.

reed37

Forum Ride Along
Ive got a few question for you medics who have worked for a contacting company like remote medical. As of right now im not looking to find contracts to conflict areas. However i would like to get my foot in the door. Ive got a few question that id like to see if i could get an answer to

-Medical director issues. How does it work, if a medic will be out of state or possibly out of country?
- How to drum up business? Do you just start cold calling??

And if you guys have any information to pass on or tricks to the trade, id love to here it!

Thanks
Reed PM

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Reed,

Check the international working abroad forum. Good info there from guys on contracts. I canntell younthat fed stuff will be difficult to get for US stuff. Lots of moneyband lobbyists in thebgame

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Big fingers small phone. Sry

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
You mind if I ask some additional questions?
Do you have experience running a business, ambulance company, or an education that is related?
Maybe akf will reply to this one... Its his area

Also, maybe the Admin should move this to the international section

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I would be more than happy to assist you with information however you need to present a business plan, area of focus, and have a ton more research prior to me putting effort into this. No offense, I am willing but I cannot just shovel it all in your lap.

Bring a plan, a ton of questions and I will go through them.

I am a paramedic who went into business and have done well. It was NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination. It takes YEARS to kick off and you need to be prepared to absolutely fail 100% and still survive financially. It took me 3 years to get into the black FYI. I am now in my 7th year of owning a business.

Your general intro indicates a significant lack of knowledge. I had the advantage of working in forward locations and being boots on the ground for over 6 years PRIOR to even starting my business.

OP
OP
R

reed37

Forum Ride Along
I guess I'm not 100% sure how my questions show a lack of knowledge. But I do have experience running a private service that focused on fixed wing flights, and I've been a paramedic in the 911 system for a long time. I don't need help with a business model, and I don't need some one to spoon feed me. All i ask is for information on how it's legal for paramedics to work over seas, and the medical director issue.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That unto itself is a very basic question. And overseas contracting is an entirely different beast than your experience.

Anyways, good luck!

OP
OP
R

reed37

Forum Ride Along
Overseas I worked with a few civilian paramedic contractors. I understand legally, how they are allowed to work there. However paramedics vary from country to country, and not all countries have paramedics. In Kandahar, civilian paramedics really didnt have a scope of practice. They were allowed to do what ever their MD felt comfortable with. If anyone has any references or links i can use to research this, that would be great.
AKF with all due respect, you could have at least answered my "very Basic Question". However instead you danced around it. If you dont know the answer thats fine..

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Correct. I know nothing. Good luck!

And your scope of practice info above is wrong as well, but anywho...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Overseas I worked with a few civilian paramedic contractors. I understand legally, how they are allowed to work there. However paramedics vary from country to country, and not all countries have paramedics. In Kandahar, civilian paramedics really didnt have a scope of practice. They were allowed to do what ever their MD felt comfortable with. If anyone has any references or links i can use to research this, that would be great.
AKF with all due respect, you could have at least answered my "very Basic Question". However instead you danced around it. If you dont know the answer thats fine..

If you've gone back to read any of the forum, you've by now realized you've just blown off your best source of "straight from the guy who started a contracting business" info.

Now, where did I put that Kermit the frog picture?

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ironically, he probably knows of or has been at my business....

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
And there goes the bullet though the foot...........

Sad that he went out of way to include that particular location, lol.
image.jpeg

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

See...in my first response I inquired about your business plan, offered to help but stipulated you needed to bring way more info to the table. I was quickly rebuked because I made the comment that you seemed very ill informed and told you have a business plan, do not need help, and so on.... Then a few short posts later, you demonstrate a lack of knowledge on a very basic question/challenge/problem in this entire plan of yours. This question you posed is actually a non-issue in the overall equation, especially if you already have a plan/model to use.

By simply lacking that knowledge and not knowing how to get that answer, indicates I was right. You are very misinformed at this stage in the game and are 1-2 years from actuating any real plan of substance. Can you acquire the knowledge and missing information? Absolutely. Can you start your own company...absolutely! It will take a few adjustments and acknowledgments that your experience thus far while helpful once you have a business, it will be of little use during the challenge of startup.

I am VERY busy running not one but three companies and one JV. I am doing what you want to do. This is why I will not dish out all I know because it will consume a lot of my time. If you are serious, have a solid plan...I am all about mentoring, sharing and assisting. Maybe one day you will be a competitor and I am just fine with that. There is plenty for all.

But man...you really missed the mark in this thread or with me, for now.