Start EMT classes next week

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why should they be "heavily" tested on them? The only ones that is usually is presented in the general are AVPU, OPQRST. Most of them are not part of the national curriculum & are taught only according to the text they use. NREMT does not utilize most of them for testing for that reason.

For example DCAP is a trade mark of BTLS (which is trademark of American College of Emergency Physicians-ACEP) As I described earlier ITLS/BTLS is not taught in every state and as well is NOT part of the Basic EMT or any level of EMT curriculum's. PHTLS, IHTLS, ATLS, TNCC, ATNC, ASTNA TFLNP, are all external trauma education programs involving EMS and are associated with separate sponsors and each one of those have their own acronyms one can learn.

Like I said, acronyms are great for short term memory devices. As one increases education and levels, there is way too many to remember. Just think for each class and each chapter there is probably one that one can learn.

It is a personal choice to use or not. I have found that the better ones is the ones students create on their own. I encourage anything that will increase the objective and a well understanding of that point, not just a limerick to go by.

Many educators feel that is part of the problem of EMT's today, we have installed too many memorization techniques and not enough critical thinking skills to cope with different and real events.

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
R/r, what I am saying is that the fellow is going to be tested on those acronyms. Regardless of their use or effectiveness, they are important ones to know. If he has time now, he should memorize them. They are helpful when you are first starting out. Since they will be on exams and he has enough to learn/memorize, go ahead and learn those arconyms now.

I know that when I tested for NREMT-I, I used DCAP-BTLS for my entire rapid assessment. The instructors liked it enough that they passed me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I know that when I tested for NREMT-I, I used DCAP-BTLS for my entire rapid assessment. The instructors liked it enough that they passed me.

I hope that you actually passed because you demonstrated your competence, not because you employed a nifty memory trick. :D Otherwise I'll not be vacationing in your state any day soon. lol!

Are they still teaching DCAP-BTLS? About 3 years ago we changed it to DCAP-BLS-TIC, which stands for the same plus some bone trauma indicators. The T is from BTLS is moved into its own acronym of Tenderness-Instability-Crepitis. It is a nice training aid to remind a student what they should be looking for, but after awhile a person should be able to see what is unusual vs usual without a long mnemonic.

I do still use AEIOU-TIPS however for any kind of altered LOC. Anyone familiar with that or is it another Canukian difference?

Another good one for dealing with an obstetrics emergency is PRIMAL-FUDGE.
That one isn't famous yet so I'll have to write that one out:

P = Pain? (contractions - how far apart? how long?)
R = Rupture of membranes? (water broke? Color? Smell?)
I = Infectious diseases?
M = Medications?
A = Allergies?
L = Lifestyle (drugs? alcohol? smoking?)

F = Flow (bloody show?)
U = Urge to push?
D = Delivery complications? (regular doctor visits? cesareans? twins? etc.)
G = Gravida, para?
E = Estimated date of confinement? (due date?)

I have encountered hundreds of acronyms in my short career. I find them interesting and occasionally useful, but I would never rely on them. I consider them to be a learning aid or backup in the event of a memory infarct.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
AEIOU-TIPS...

My -P school instructor talked about it.. (because I remember the Wheel of Fortune joke :)) but I can't remember what it stands for.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Again, for any altered LOC, you can usually find the answer within AEIOU-TIPS. This one is useful for critical thinking, but on scene I have the benefit of an UnCx Not Yet Diagnosed protocol that I can run with. But when it fails and I need to call the EP, I can say, "Well, dude has a catheter and a urinary bladder with blood in the tube....I suspect an infection, also the fever is a clue" and then everyone knows I am badass. :D

A = Alcohol/Acidosis
E = Epilepsy
I = Insulin
O = Overdose
U = Uremia

T = Trauma/Tumor
I = Infection
P = Psychosis/"Possession"
S = Shock/Stroke

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
AEIOU-TIPS...

My -P school instructor talked about it.. (because I remember the Wheel of Fortune joke :)) but I can't remember what it stands for.

There's a Wheel of Fortune joke?

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Many educators feel that is part of the problem of EMT's today, we have installed too many memorization techniques and not enough critical thinking skills to cope with different and real events.

R/r 911

I totally agree. Nobody should use them as a lazy way to pass a test and then forget all the info a day after the test. Also, we should not think of them as all inclusive. AEIOU-TIPS is great but we should also be thinking about the other bazillion causes of ALOC too. I do see your point.