So much blood...

hogwiley

Forum Captain
It took me about a week to be OK after my first death. I remember breaking down in class trying to put in an advanced airway. I remember crying in my sleep etc. The second death was a little easier than my first etc. I still "feel " the deaths. But it doesn't affect me like the first few did. Hopefully the student will come back. My director saw the need to step in and get me help.
I didn't want to admit I needed help. I didn't want anyone to think I wasn't cut out for this. But learning emotiom was normal etc got me back in the saddle.

I don't mean to sound callous, but deaths I've encountered in EMS haven't really affected me greatly. I don't know the people and im with them for such a short time. Yes if its someone younger, especially a suicide, I do feel sadness, but its not someone I knew. If its a cardiac arrest its just a lifeless body and you're also too busy and focused on doing your job to be really affected by it.

I find working in a hospital much harder in respect to death, because you are with the people for a lot longer and see them struggling or in pain as they die. You can try to keep them as comfortable and pain free as possible, but some deaths are just really difficult and drag on and on. The first time I took care of a cystic fibrosis patient at the end I nearly quit. It doesn't really get easier with time either, I still have shifts where I dread going into work when a younger patient is dying.

I've developed a huge amount of respect for RNs who deal with that almost every day.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I don't mean to sound callous, but deaths I've encountered in EMS haven't really affected me greatly. I don't know the people and im with them for such a short time. Yes if its someone younger, especially a suicide, I do feel sadness, but its not someone I knew. If its a cardiac arrest its just a lifeless body and you're also too busy and focused on doing your job to be really affected by it.

I find working in a hospital much harder in respect to death, because you are with the people for a lot longer and see them struggling or in pain as they die. You can try to keep them as comfortable and pain free as possible, but some deaths are just really difficult and drag on and on. The first time I took care of a cystic fibrosis patient at the end I nearly quit. It doesn't really get easier with time either, I still have shifts where I dread going into work when a younger patient is dying.

I've developed a huge amount of respect for RNs who deal with that almost every day.
I'm sure my situation is different than yours. I'm in a small town and know most the people I pick up

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I hate to say it, but the blood and gore probably is what attracts some people to EMS, at least until they find out how little of that we typically encounter.

I have to work with a guy who almost acts giddy every time we're dispatched to a call that has the potential to be a bloody mess, and acts jealous whenever someone else is dispatched to a similar call. Its a little disturbing.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I hate to say it, but the blood and gore probably is what attracts some people to EMS, at least until they find out how little of that we typically encounter.

I have to work with a guy who almost acts giddy every time we're dispatched to a call that has the potential to be a bloody mess, and acts jealous whenever someone else is dispatched to a similar call. Its a little disturbing.

I don't think he's the only one that started out that way. Like you mentioned, it's a common reason people get into EMS. Reality does a pretty good job of filtering these people out or changing their mindset over time.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think he's the only one that started out that way. Like you mentioned, it's a common reason people get into EMS. Reality does a pretty good job of filtering these people out or changing their mindset over time.

Meh, people like to ask about "good calls" from time to time. Shootings are kind of cool, but really it's just a mess to clean up to me most of the time.

OP
OP
C

chet

Forum Crew Member
Hey Wheel, George is my favorite beatle... Thanks to everybody who replied to my post. I did Hospice care and know a lot about death draggin on. I also deeply appreciate all of the intelligent replies that didn't make me feel like an *** for being concerned about human emotion. I find injuries very interesting, it's amazing that health care professionals can control and treat trauma. But I don't think I could ever get off on a severe injury or "good call". I am feeling very depressed waiting for the results of my practical exam, I am growing doubtful and second guessing my decision to try EMS. But I'm sure something will come out of all of this, even if I don't succeed I've met a lot of interesting people and got a glimpse into the world of EMS. Most people don't know the first thing about it, they only think of you when they need you. I have so much respect for you all, thanks...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Come on Chaz, after the last couple of weeks with the calls we ran … A good shooting or stabbing would've been most excellent! (I'm actually hoping for a good one during these next couple of overtime shifts. Does that make me a bad person?)

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Come on Chaz, after the last couple of weeks with the calls we ran … A good shooting or stabbing would've been most excellent! (I'm actually hoping for a good one during these next couple of overtime shifts. Does that make me a bad person?)

Oh, I would have happily taken that stabbing last night. Don't get me wrong on that one.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
A lot of new EMTs often have the same worry about being able to handle the gore (which isn't that often). Almost always when you show up on scene it's not an issue. You concentrate on what needs to get done.

I think most lay people get grossed out because they don't know what to do and thus can only watch in horror. For most EMTs they tend to get an excitement not at the injury but that they'll get to practice what they've practiced.

Having said that, there might be some extreme cases here and there that'll seem overwhelming but just push through. :)

ArkansasEMT

Forum Ride Along
When I first got into EMS I worried about how I'd handle the gore we sometimes have to deal with, but like so many have posted it seems that instinct and training kick in when I need it the most.

Concentrate on the job at hand and doing the absolute best you can for the patient and it makes it a lot easier to handle.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
There is a story I heard of a guy who worked at my company who fainted on scene. The EMT was new and the call was a serious GSW. I guess the guy fainted on scene immediately once he saw all the blood. He quit that day.
If you're worried about seeing copious amounts of blood just remember, once you're in the zone of pt care you forget about all the blood. Thinking about a hectic situation might get you thinking you might not be able to handle it, but once your in the zone the knowledge you've acquired takes control.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
An experienced EMT nearly passed out in the ER where I work while doing his Paramedic clinicals. He was helping a doc suture up a patient and went wobbly.

A nurse wheeled him out of the trauma room in a wheel chair and had him lie down and had me get a set of vitals and get him some orange juice. Was all that necessary? No, I think the Nurse just wanted to mess with him lol.

firefighter4life

Forum Ride Along
The only thing that makes cringe is major open head trauma. In my life, I've only seen it once and unfortunately, I can still remember the face.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The only thing that makes cringe is major open head trauma. In my life, I've only seen it once and unfortunately, I can still remember the face.

Yep. Eyeballs and fingernail/toenail injuries get me.

Had a guy slip and bisect his index finger on a table saw down to his second joint. Eww.

OP
OP
C

chet

Forum Crew Member
Or how about a degloving injury? The picture in the book made me woozy, ha I'll bet the first day on the job I will witness one of them. I'd rather see an avulsed penis, but don't think I am Lorena Bobbitt or anything!

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I haven't seen a degloving incident yet aand I'm in a farming community . Don't worry, you probably won't throw up until after! Lol

Mariemt

Forum Captain
The only thing that ever got the me was my first code. I made the mistake of sitting in the captains chair. Eyes were open, looking at me ( OK they weren't but you know) it was a messy code also.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Our book had a pic of a degloved penis. Not pleasant looking.

And I've had a call with a guy with a degloved finger. That call still gets to me, but for other reasons besides just that.