JPINFV

Gadfly
One word "crossbow".
Norman-Reedus-325.jpg

21065_492406545012_403889370012_11115011_6595915_n.jpg

Agrees...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
No, this Glock goes to 19. It's the Spinal Tap Special.

983066_lg.jpg

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Being that you're from New Jersey, that presents a bunch of different issues than some of the rest of us have to deal with.New Jersey has a permit system. If memory serves, or the purchase, acquisition and or keeping of pistols, and/or other firearms. It actually could be that no permit is required to have a weapon at the house. However, it could also be that you do need a permit for transport. You will need to check on that. You will probably be best served in terms of actual security of the weapon, by acquiring a small safe or some other lockbox type device that would make it more difficult for someone to gain access to the weapon without having to break something else open.

In order to purchase a handgun in New Jersey, you require two things. One is a Firearms Purchaser ID card. This permits you to buy as many long guns as you like, as well as handgun ammunition. In addition, you must obtain a permit to purchase a handgun. The two can be applied for at the same time, and you can get multiple purchase permits at the same time, which is more cost effective, but they're also only good for a relatively short time (30 days, I believe, with a second 30 day extension available from the local police). While the move to livescan fingerprinting may have shortened time periods, it was not uncommon for the permit process to take over six months, despite State law requiring it to be completed in thirty days.

The entire process is handled through your local police department, or the state police if you live in a place with no local police or are from out of state. The forms are available on the State Police website. Indeed, they answer a lot of questions about firearms laws, which are very restrictive in our great state.

This is just to purchase the firearm, which means you'll be restricted to having it in he home, or carrying it cased and unloaded directly to and from the place where you'll be target shooting it. If you want a carry permit, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as they say, and while I could go on and on about it (I used to be involved in that area from the government side), the bottom line is that they don't give them out, unless you work as an armored car guard or happen to be a retired policeman.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM and I can at least point you in the right direction.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think the .357 sig is the perfect round for semi-auto pistols.

In Glock, Sig Saur, or H/K at your personal discretion.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In order to purchase a handgun in New Jersey, you require two things. One is a Firearms Purchaser ID card. This permits you to buy as many long guns as you like, as well as handgun ammunition. In addition, you must obtain a permit to purchase a handgun. The two can be applied for at the same time, and you can get multiple purchase permits at the same time, which is more cost effective, but they're also only good for a relatively short time (30 days, I believe, with a second 30 day extension available from the local police). While the move to livescan fingerprinting may have shortened time periods, it was not uncommon for the permit process to take over six months, despite State law requiring it to be completed in thirty days.

The entire process is handled through your local police department, or the state police if you live in a place with no local police or are from out of state. The forms are available on the State Police website. Indeed, they answer a lot of questions about firearms laws, which are very restrictive in our great state.

This is just to purchase the firearm, which means you'll be restricted to having it in he home, or carrying it cased and unloaded directly to and from the place where you'll be target shooting it. If you want a carry permit, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as they say, and while I could go on and on about it (I used to be involved in that area from the government side), the bottom line is that they don't give them out, unless you work as an armored car guard or happen to be a retired policeman.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM and I can at least point you in the right direction.
It's been quite a while since I have reviewed New Jersey's laws, the process you laid out seems to be the correct choice or process for your state. I do know for sure that a carry permit for the state of New Jersey is very much a completely different issue, and much harder to get, then a permit to acquire.

I'm certainly glad that I live in California where the process is less arduous.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm certainly glad that I live in California where the process is less arduous.

But from a "right to carry" perspective, wouldn't you prefer to live in Arizona or Alaska?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Ah, I was under impression that the HSC actually required a course. Of course while California has a bunch of requirements to own a handgun (HSC, registration, etc), long guns are relatively unregulated in comparison outside of the 'evil black rifle' (assault weapon) ban.

As far as cable locks, when I went in and picked up the supplies I needed to bring my shotgun up from my parent's house (lock, case, cleaning supplies, etc) I was told at Turners Outdoor that it was the trigger locks that were having issues being certified in CA.
Actually, JP, the HSC is essentially a requirement to purchase, not to own. Once your HSC expires you still retain the legal right to own firearms that you purchased. As far as registration is concerned, it is actually not required to register your pistol, if you acquired it prior to a certain date in the 1990s. Afterwards, the legislature required that all handgun transfers happened via firearms dealer and go through the DROS process, and therefore are registered to a particular individual. As long as everything goes according to design, your information shows up in the AFS system. What is interesting about the cable lock requirement is that while it is required to be sold or provided to the buyer of a handgun at the time of transfer, it does not meet safe storage requirements. Something else that is interesting to note is that the trigger lock/cable lock requirement used to be met by a safe affidavit. This affidavit, while being perfectly fine under California law, is no longer acceptable under Federal Law simply because the BATFE has not made the appropriate regulations to implement the safe affidavit. This only applies to handguns, not long guns.

California's assault weapon ban has some problems, and outside of certain specific named weapons (specific make specific model), with a little attention to detail regarding removable/detachable magazines, you can build almost anything you want. In any event, the assault weapons ban is going to face some serious challenge in the courts precisely because it is arbitrary and capricious. When the assault weapon ban was originally passed, the media and everyone else made it seem like what was going to be banned was fully automatic firearms. Those have been regulated separately for quite a long time. If you really want to know something fun, full auto weapons are legal to own in California, if you have the correct permit. If you do not have the permit, and you on a full auto weapon in California, the crime you commit is essentially the unlicensed possession of a full auto firearm. I probably know more about this particular subject than I should.:glare:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
But from a "right to carry" perspective, wouldn't you prefer to live in Arizona or Alaska?
Actually, from a right to carry perspective, if memory serves, there are actually four states that have gone to constitutional carry: Alaska,Arizona, Wyoming, and Vermont. A friend of mine lives in Alaska and loves it. I know some people that live in Arizona, but they're not friends of mine, but apparently they like it. Most other states have a shall issue license system, some of them are simply a license to carry which allows the licensee to choose open or concealed.

California is kind of interesting in that once you have a CCW, there are very few places you cannot carry. Apparently, having a CCW is also one of the exceptions to the unloaded openly carry law that just took effect out here.

JPINFV

Gadfly
California is kind of interesting in that once you have a CCW, there are very few places you cannot carry. Apparently, having a CCW is also one of the exceptions to the unloaded openly carry law that just took effect out here.

...but if I could CCW, why the hell would I want to unloaded open carry?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
...but if I could CCW, why the hell would I want to unloaded open carry?
JP, exactly! It is however apparently one of the exceptions… If I can carry loaded, why would I carry an unloaded paperweight? One of the really strange things about the new law is that it basically restricts unloaded open carry to the same locations where one can engage in loaded open carry activity. In that instance, why would you carry unloaded when you can simply carry loaded?

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
. The two can be applied for at the same time, and you can get multiple purchase permits at the same time, which is more cost effective, but they're also only good for a relatively short time (30 days, I believe, with a second 30 day extension available from the local police). While the move to livescan fingerprinting may have shortened time periods, it was not uncommon for the permit process to take over six months, despite State law requiring it to be completed in thirty days.

Unless it recently changed, the permits are good for 90 days, with another 90 days if an extensions is filed. Technically, it would be possible to apply for 6 permits at once, as the One-Gun-a-Month law applies.

mycrofft

5=4. When I read the words "enjoy" or "love" in conjunction with firearms, I'm outta here. Like saying you're in love with your stapler or toilet plunger.
That is, unless you anticipate being attacked on the street?
Anyway, have fun.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
i own a full size beretta 9mm, and my dad just purchased an H&K 9mm and we bought him a springfield xdm .40.all of them are great guns, im a fan of the beretta but thats what ive been shooting longest and i am most accurate with

mycrofft

SIDEBAR: recent episode of TV show "Body of Evidence" has a M-9 type administering "Beretta Bite" which yields a DNA sample!

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
5=4. When I read the words "enjoy" or "love" in conjunction with firearms, I'm outta here. Like saying you're in love with your stapler or toilet plunger.
That is, unless you anticipate being attacked on the street?
Anyway, have fun.

too bad you don't get it

I love my car too

mycrofft

To each his own.
(Doesn't anyone read the line under my moniker?) ;)