Single function medics under the fire service??

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Hey guys I'm currently in the tail end of my field internship and im trying to research the next 5 years of my life or maybe the final stop and make a career somewhere. I really enjoy ems and I love being a medic and I'd like to work as a medic for a fire dept ambulance. Now growing up in SoCal you have to be dual function fire/medic but I haven't really gotten the fire bug and my passion lies in paramedicine. I've done a little research and I have a few questions. Can anybody clarify if fdny ems is still single function? Also I can't find clear cut info on sffd h3 level 2? I believe that's the single function medic too? Any where else? Thanks for any help and advice.

marshmallow22

Forum Crew Member
Also consider a 3rd service EMS if the medicine is where you want to be. ATCEMS, Wake County EMS, Pittsburgh EMS, Boston EMS just to name a few. Good pay (where you can live comfortably w/o working a 2nd job), city pensions (some similar to CA FD's), great benefits, and usually nice equipment. Detroit FD, Baltimore FD, and DC Fire/EMS also have EMS divisions where you are not required to be a FF to be hired as a medic. Good luck, and glad to see you are willing to expand your horizons beyond SoCal.

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
SFFD also has a separate EMS devision.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys I'm currently in the tail end of my field internship and im trying to research the next 5 years of my life or maybe the final stop and make a career somewhere. I really enjoy ems and I love being a medic and I'd like to work as a medic for a fire dept ambulance. Now growing up in SoCal you have to be dual function fire/medic but I haven't really gotten the fire bug and my passion lies in paramedicine. I've done a little research and I have a few questions. Can anybody clarify if fdny ems is still single function? Also I can't find clear cut info on sffd h3 level 2? I believe that's the single function medic too? Any where else? Thanks for any help and advice.

Yes we, FDNY, are still separate but not equal agencies under the same roof.

You will need to take the steps for reciprocity and the NYC REMAC before you can apply to work for FDNY EMS. We are not NREMT based.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Philly FD is an all ALS system, where the medics are only on the ambulance. You do complete basic firefighter training (I think) but after they never step foot on a suppression piece.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
To clarify, PFD is not an all ALS system. There are BLS trucks staffed by FF/EMT's. FDNY hires EMT's that work strictly on the EMS side, but PFD does not, only medics.
The ALS units are staffed by either two medics, or a medic with a FF/EMT.
The medics are in the same union and have the same benefits as the FF's. The medics make 10% more than the FF's.
Also, OT for medics is virtually unlimited.

OP
OP
FoleyArtist

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Thanks for all the replies and info everybody. Now I haven't really traveled to the east coast. How much get up and go money would I be looking to save? Also what's the cost of living in the respected areas you guys have mentioned? Thanks.

I think it's time to explore. I'm kinda over SoCal. I think first choice is looking into sffd since it'd be closer to home and family. I think after medic school ill finish my bachelors at Loma Linda's EMC program then I'm outta here. Haha

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
East coast has a few of those departments, and others that will train you as a firefighter, but never assign you to a fire apparatus unit.

Be cautious of Philly--it's busy and you'll see a lot of crap, but when I say it's busy, I mean burnout busy. Most people don't stay there long--the run volume is absurd. Medic 8 ran like 9000 calls last year--that's just running from call to call without breaks. Ain't nobody got time for that.

The Philly suburbs have some good EMS only stations with decent pay and benefits. I make $15/hour as a brand new basic, and I think medics at my station make around $22/hour starting out. EMS only, no fire.

New York City has that, as mentioned. Baltimore City requires firefighting training, but I don't think you get assigned to a suppression piece. However, they're just as busy as Philly.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
As mentioned, Alexandria VA has single role medics working for their FD, but there has been talk of cross training their new recruits for awhile. Still hasnt happened but you never know.

Keep in mind that you will still have to go through the same hiring process that firefighters go through (written, poly, psych, etc.)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
To clarify, PFD is not an all ALS system. There are BLS trucks staffed by FF/EMT's. FDNY hires EMT's that work strictly on the EMS side, but PFD does not, only medics.
The ALS units are staffed by either two medics, or a medic with a FF/EMT.
The medics are in the same union and have the same benefits as the FF's. The medics make 10% more than the FF's.
Also, OT for medics is virtually unlimited.
Since when? I knew they were talking about putting BLS trucks on with 2 FFs on OT, but I didnt know they were hiring single role EMTs do to 911 calls.

guess thing changed since I last looked at philly

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Philly used to be all ALS. I don't remember the exact year, but the city downgraded a few ALS units to BLS a few years ago(I don't know for sure...but I think it was 05-06ish). They also added 10 more trucks to the street...all BLS, to handle the call volume(which it didn't...the extra units still ran anywhere from 6,000-8,000 runs per year and having no medic units available is still common)

The FF's are not hired OT for the BLS units. They are detailed into the BLS units for their regularly scheduled tour every so often.

They have never, and still do not, hire single-role EMT's.