Signed up for an EMT class- have questions

emtME

Forum Probie
Hi all- first post! I am very excited as I just finished signing up for an EMT-B class. I have been wanting to get into health care and gain patient care experience for a long time, and this seems the perfect way to do so.

I have a question about EMT programs though- are all programs created equal? Is there any certification I should have checked for before signing up :unsure: I'm asking because it seems like a lot of people take their EMT classes through a fire department or something. Mine is through an adult continuing education career center. They require a fee and CPR certification, and they provide all books and course materials. It's two days a week nightly, plus Saturdays for when we start our clinicals I'm assuming. Does this sound about right? Sept-Dec?

I guess I'm just nervous. I'm excited to start but I realized I have no idea how "good" of a program I've actually signed up for! Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kale

Forum Probie
I'm no where near the most qualified person to answer this question but, generally speaking: no. Not all programs are created equal. There are some excellent programs out there, a whole bunch of decent/passable ones and then some out and out scams. If you're going through a established career center type of thing and you're not paying through the nose, you're probably just fine. There are some things you could still investigate about your program that may shed more light on the relative quality of course. What are the credentials/experiences of your instructors? What's the NREMT pass rate of their graduates? How many of their graduates are able to find work? How much hands-on/scenario type work vs. book work/lecture will you be doing?

Just bare in mind that even if this isn't the greatest of all programs, the class itself isn't going to necessarily make or break you as an EMT. The amount of information required to for a EMT-B is just that - basic. Be willing to learn from whatever your instructors (as well as your fellow students) are able to offer, seek outside resources from other books/people/the internet to expand your learning or to clarify information, learn to take a good set of manual vitals and understand what they represent, learn your local protocols, have your ABCs down pat, have your basic hands on skills down pat (BWM, O2 administration, suction, c-spine, trauma dressings, etc.) and work on performing a good, thorough patient assessment every time. Any EMT program worth it's salt should give you ample opportunity to hit all these basic points.

Keep in mind that much of your real training will occur on the job anyway. Just focus on getting your basics down in class, asking questions, learning from mistakes, etc. I think you'll find that the body of information you're being asked to learn isn't so daunting.

Good luck!

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I'm no where near the most qualified person to answer this question but, generally speaking: no. Not all programs are created equal. There are some excellent programs out there, a whole bunch of decent/passable ones and then some out and out scams. If you're going through a established career center type of thing and you're not paying through the nose, you're probably just fine. There are some things you could still investigate about your program that may shed more light on the relative quality of course. What are the credentials/experiences of your instructors? What's the NREMT pass rate of their graduates? How many of their graduates are able to find work? How much hands-on/scenario type work vs. book work/lecture will you be doing?

Just bare in mind that even if this isn't the greatest of all programs, the class itself isn't going to necessarily make or break you as an EMT. The amount of information required to for a EMT-B is just that - basic. Be willing to learn from whatever your instructors (as well as your fellow students) are able to offer, seek outside resources from other books/people/the internet to expand your learning or to clarify information, learn to take a good set of manual vitals and understand what they represent, learn your local protocols, have your ABCs down pat, have your basic hands on skills down pat (BWM, O2 administration, suction, c-spine, trauma dressings, etc.) and work on performing a good, thorough patient assessment every time. Any EMT program worth it's salt should give you ample opportunity to hit all these basic points.

Keep in mind that much of your real training will occur on the job anyway. Just focus on getting your basics down in class, asking questions, learning from mistakes, etc. I think you'll find that the body of information you're being asked to learn isn't so daunting.

Good luck!

^^^

This is good advice.
But everything you mentioned sounds good and safe. You should be all set, everything sounds about right.

If you ever have any questions, this is the place to ask! Welcome, and good luck with your class!!

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
No, not all are created equal. Check for accreditation, standards (State or National). I would think all schools have to answer to either State or National standards for you to earn your credentials.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
if possible, try to find some former students of the same course. hopefully you have done some ride alongs prior to joining the course. if not, do some, and ask the emt/medic you are riding with for their opinion on that course.

ordinarykathy

Forum Probie
I signed up for something similar too, at the Anaheim ROP. Mine is also twice a week from 6-10, with arranged Saturdays. But my class is from September until the very end of January.

PFD2171

Forum Probie
Advice

As a long time EMT instructor and someone who has seen many variations I would give this advise. Two nights a week and a weekend day sounds pretty average so as not to overwhelm anyone and give you time to study and digest the information. As far as accreditation for a facility unless it is a public school like a college there is not a requirement in most states for accreditation by any body but that does not make a good or bad program. I have seen some pretty poor "accredited" institutions and some very good non-accredited ones as well. My advice for a gauge of the quality is the instructor's expectations of the students are they low or high. An instructor with a philosophy that meeting the minimums is good enough is not a good instructor they should be pushing you to achieve higher. I agree with finding former students and maybe some people who work in the field in your area. Another gauge in my mind of a poor instructor is the I have seen it all instructor that wants to tell you war stories all night and teaches only what they think is important from their experience. All of the curriculum is important not just some and yes experience and advice from a instructor who has performed these skills is invaluable but not when it turns into story time.