Side Jobs

RyanC

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, just wondering what kind of side jobs you might have to maintain your income in between EMS jobs. I'm only asking because I'm still waiting to hear back from a few ambulance companies at the moment, which from what I've been reading might take a while. I need a source of income in the meantime, and I'm wondering what direction I should focus my job searches.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys, just wondering what kind of side jobs you might have to maintain your income in between EMS jobs. I'm only asking because I'm still waiting to hear back from a few ambulance companies at the moment, which from what I've been reading might take a while. I need a source of income in the meantime, and I'm wondering what direction I should focus my job searches.
Do you have any ems experience? If so try stand by ems. Concerts, peewee football etc. Usually pays pretty good. Sorry to hear your having a tough time. Have you tried some of the funeral homes? They hire people to go pick up the deceased from private residences, snf's, hospitals and take them back to the parlour for prep. Just a thought. Or caregiver?

OP
OP
RyanC

RyanC

Forum Ride Along
Do you have any ems experience? If so try stand by ems. Concerts, peewee football etc. Usually pays pretty good. Sorry to hear your having a tough time. Have you tried some of the funeral homes? They hire people to go pick up the deceased from private residences, snf's, hospitals and take them back to the parlour for prep. Just a thought. Or caregiver?
Yeah, I've worked 6 months at a small BLS ambulance company which I left both because it was too far and because I am in search of experience at a larger scale company hopefully with critical care transport.

I'll check out the requirements for this funeral home job. Thanks!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I've worked 6 months at a small BLS ambulance company which I left both because it was too far and because I am in search of experience at a larger scale company hopefully with critical care transport.

I'll check out the requirements for this funeral home job. Thanks!
It doesn't require much skill lol but yea pays like $100 a body atleast its something lol

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There's a pretty long thread on this topic. I looked briefly but couldn't find it on my phone.

I don't have an "official" side job but I work on coworkers cars, work for a friend's dad's construction company...stuff like that.

If you want to boost your résumé aim for a customer service oriented job. 99% of EMS is just that, customer service, they pay and we provide.

EMS agencies like to see that kind if experience even if it isn't anywhere remotely associated with EMS or medicine.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
I may have gotten lucky, but between sending out all my applications and starting day 1 of orientation, I only had about 3 weeks (got 2 interviews, chose one of the companies). I'd suggest applying to all the companies in the area, even if they don't say they're hiring: at any given point, someone will likely be hiring. If you already have some experience, I'd imagine you'll have better chances than I did.

I applied to:
- Rural Metro IFT (Milpitas)
- Royal Ambulance
- Westmed Ambulance
- Silicon Valley Ambulance
- Falck/Verihealth
- NorCal Ambulance
- AMR (Monterey)
- Bayshore Ambulance

A week or so after submitting, go ahead and give a follow-up call if you can. Often it won't help, but you never know. Good luck!

OP
OP
RyanC

RyanC

Forum Ride Along
There's a pretty long thread on this topic. I looked briefly but couldn't find it on my phone.

I don't have an "official" side job but I work on coworkers cars, work for a friend's dad's construction company...stuff like that.

If you want to boost your résumé aim for a customer service oriented job. 99% of EMS is just that, customer service, they pay and we provide.

EMS agencies like to see that kind if experience even if it isn't anywhere remotely associated with EMS or medicine.
Yeah I tried searching for this topic too but couldn't find anything.

I was thinking of trying to get some bar tending jobs since I have my certificate in that as well.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I tried searching for this topic too but couldn't find anything.

I was thinking of trying to get some bar tending jobs since I have my certificate in that as well.
Theres a funeral home in downtown san jose looking for a receptionist lol just saying ambulances and funeral homes go hand in hand lol

OP
OP
RyanC

RyanC

Forum Ride Along
Theres a funeral home in downtown san jose looking for a receptionist lol just saying ambulances and funeral homes go hand in hand lol
Hahah thanks I'll check it out