Should I work at Pacific or Lynch in Orange County?!

teekay

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone!

I received a job offer from Pacific Ambulance in Lake Forest last week. However, this week I got a call from Lynch Ambulance in Anaheim saying I passed the written test & they want me to come in for an interview next week.

The problem is Lynch's interview date falls on the same day as Pacific's orientation. Both companies seem to have good reputations & happy employees from what I've heard, what should I do?!

JPINFV

Gadfly
How much is Lynch paying? How much is Pacific paying? Which one is closer to where you live?

I'd take the pacific job as it has already been offered to you.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Pacific treats their employees like crap from what I have heard. My friend works for them and says dispatch at Pacific is ruthless. However, you will still be getting EMS experience at Pacific and it's what you make of it. Every now and then I'll come across a Lynch employee, they always seem happy.

Pacific treats their employees like crap from what I have heard. My friend works for them and says dispatch at Pacific is ruthless. However, you will still be getting EMS experience at Pacific and it's what you make of it. Every now and then I'll come across a Lynch employee, they always seem happy.

I've ran into several Pacific employees who enjoy working for them. In regards to dispatch, they'll put you where you are needed, and on their time not yours. It's part of the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
In my opinion, I don't think employees are completely representative of their company reputation. You might have guys who hate their job because they are piled with calls, and you might have others who love it because they get a lot of freedom. Now, if you met everyone at the company and every hates it there, that's a different story. :lol:

Ask yourself; what are you after? If you're looking for the highest pay, take the company that offers you the highest pay. If you're looking for the most out of your EMS experience, which company will offer you the most rewarding experience?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it's safe to say that all BLS interfacility companies treat their employees like crap.

I'd also think it's safe to say that all BLS interfacility companies "are going to take over the 911 contract for their area just as soon at the current dominant company loses it."

With that said, I would work for the one that pays the most, and treats its employees the least crappy.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Isn't Pacific Ambulance owned by Rural/Metro?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wouldn't give up a guaranteed job at a company owned by the second largest ambulance company within the nation for the possibility of getting hired at, what sounds like to me, some mom and pop shop ambulance company.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Look past the present

Pacific Ambulance is owned by Rural Metro, a company that happens to be in financial difficulty now. The parent company Rural does offer a lot of growth opportunity and even has private firefighting. They are a big corporation. They are having problems in San Diego and Santa Clara and Rural may have pissed off OCFA by putting in a bid for JWA the Fire Rescue contract. Don't look for Pacific to have any 911 contracts from the next RFP or anytime time soon

Lynch is a 27 year company started by a family that has grown into a large IFT provider in OC. Lynch is currently involved in an ALS IFT pilot with OCEMS in which it is the first and only company to employ paramedics in OC. I have heard that EMT's who work there are excited to be able to go to medic school and come back and have a job as a Paramedic with Lynch. With the advent of Critical Care Paramedic in CA, Lynch is sure to ask the county to embrace the level. With all the relationships with the health plans and physicians, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lynch try a Community Paramedic pilot next year.

That being said, you have an offer in hand. I would recommend taking it. BLS experience needs to happen sometime. Once you get a year under your belt, you can go to other companies and get paid more with that experience.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wouldn't give up a guaranteed job at a company owned by the second largest ambulance company within the nation for the possibility of getting hired at, what sounds like to me, some mom and pop shop ambulance company.

To be fair, that mom and pop shop ambulance company is the second or third largest in a county of 3 million people. It's not exactly the 5 ambulance good old boys company that the term "mom and pop" brings to mind.

Actually, now that I think about it, most of the OC companies were mom and pop shops. Care was until they sold it to Falck and Doctors was before they sold it to AMR. Both of those are companies of very respectable size, and while Lynch currently doesn't have any, they have a significant number of 911 contracts. Granted, Lynch has the contract for the local children's hospital (CHOC).

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel compelled to share what Lynch really means:

L - Love
Y - Your
N- Nasty
C- Con(valescent)
H - Home

:rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I feel compelled to share what Lynch really means:

L - Love
Y - Your
N- Nasty
C- Con(valescent)
H - Home

:rofl:

I've always been partial to "Lynch Mob."

Medic496

Funny Acronym

While the acronym is amusing, think of what it tells of the person who uses it. EMS is healthcare for all, no matter where we encounter them. Sure, 911 is a lot of fun and sometimes more exciting. But the infirmed and recovering at nursing homes deserve the same respect and care that any other person does. Remember that old saying about "the patient being your mother or family member"?

Bottom line, take the job if you already have one. The job market for EMTs is tight. Pacific is a good company.

"Lynch Mob" has been around since 1985, todays Mob is a solid group of professionals. I may be partial to them though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
While the acronym is amusing, think of what it tells of the person who uses it. EMS is healthcare for all, no matter where we encounter them. Sure, 911 is a lot of fun and sometimes more exciting. But the infirmed and recovering at nursing homes deserve the same respect and care that any other person does. Remember that old saying about "the patient being your mother or family member"?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs[/YOUTUBE]

...and back in the day when I was a member of the Lynch Mob we used to joke about the Care Bears, Drop Me in the Pacific, Another Moron Responds, and plenty of other pet names for companies. Personally, I my favorite saying was, "Lynch... like the verb." Not a week goes by that I don't utter the phrase "Welcome to County" when something happens at my hospital. Joking around, while often uncouth, does not directly reflect on the people joking around. Shop talk is normal. Even though shop talk in the medical field is about people, that doesn't make it any less shop talk.

So... lighten up... Francis.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

Bottom line, take the job if you already have one. The job market for EMTs is tight. Pacific is a good company.

"Lynch Mob" has been around since 1985, todays Mob is a solid group of professionals. I may be partial to them though.

Yikes man...

No one poked fun at the infirmed, just at the nasty con-homes.

Second, I learned the Lynch name play from a Lynch employee. He also told me how Lynch was going to take over the 911 contract for Riverside County, and that'd he'd put in a good word in because I was going to be out of a job. That was 7 years ago...

Point 3: I wasn't aware that Mt. Sac was pushing the affective domain so heavily. The former Mt. Sac students that I've had the pleasure of meeting were a little more "rigid" than you are. Good on you for breaking the mold.

JPINFV covered all the important stuff. I'm just blathering.

Medic496

hehehehe Francis

Thanks for the video, I get the message.

Take Pacific's offer! They pay more and I'm going to be working there! lol :)

I thought you were going to be working at Rural/Metro? I'm confused... :huh: