Severely Acidotic / Sepsis

18G

Paramedic
I had a patient recently from a small community hospital that leaves me shaking my head so I wanted to seek other opinions on the case.

Patient was in her 70s, found at home alone on the floor after several days with no heat. Patient came into the ED hypothermic with rectal temp of 95.4F, after blanket warmer core temp trended downward to 93F and remained 93.1F on arrival at the ICU. Initial ABG was pH: 7.06, PCO2: 56, PO2: 54, HCO3: 16. O2 sat: 71% (4lpm-N/C). Lactic acid was like 6 or 7. WBC: 18.2. Troponin: 5.4, CK and CK-MB both grossly elevated. ALT and AST were in the thousands range. Potassium was 5.7. BUN: 35, Creatinine: 4.32.

Patient was determined to be septic w/ acute renal failure and acute liver failure. Bedside assessment of resp status - resp rate was 28, non-labored, effortless. Audible congestion was noted w/ cough. Patient had course crackles throughout. Chest x-ray only showed atelectasis. Pulse ox 82%. Poor pleth due to poor distal perfusion, unable to palpate radial pulses. Hands and forearms are cool. Patient was reported with distal cyanosis on ED arrival. Patient had some mottling starting to show in lower extremities. B/P wasn't bad. No hypotension. B/P maintained 108/50s to 129/80. HR maintained in the 80s (no beta blocker use).

Patient was semi-responsive w/ GCS of 7. The patient was not a DNR. The patient didn't really look all that bad all things considered initially. But soon after we loaded the patient increased resp rate to 32-35 and was pursed-lip breathing.

This patient should have been intubated in the ED and prob had some bicarb to boost the pH to at least 7.2. Granted the trajectory of this patient was death but in hindsight this patient should have been intubated.

The patient was maintaining the airway ok and my management was a warmed liter NSS bolus and passive warming of the patient, NRB, and an antibiotic was infusing during transport. I contemplated intubation but am not able to RSI or use drug-assisted intubation. I also thought about CPAP but figured the patient was maintaining and had a relatively short ETA (<35mins). I informed the ICU RN and RRT that the patient needed intubated as soon as we arrived in the ICU.

In hindsight I wish I would have had the ED physician intubate the patient prior to transport and administer bicarb. Regardless, I knew it wouldn't have changed the patient's outcome and maybe that's why I wasn't all that aggressive about it. But I always strive to do the right thing and not be biased in my treatment decisions.

What do others think about this case and the patient not being intubated in the ED and no addressing of the critically low pH?

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
There was consultation between the receiving Intensivist and sending ED physician and no mention of intubation. Yet, the Intensivist asks me why the ED didn't intubate.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
This patient was a train wreck from the beginning. Intubation I don't feel would have made a significant difference in the beginning of her care. Granted I could see it happening once she was seen by the ICU doc, but there are significant risks with intubation and the sedatives and paralytics that might be used with a patient that has such worrisome lab values. Also with non-labored, effortless breathing I wouldn't want to take away her ability to breath on her own, and the pursed lip breathing could have been her way to try and help blow off more of the CO2. Bicarb administration would have probably keep the patient in the ED for a while longer to see if the pH improved. If I was there I would have asked about if it would be possible to further stabilize the patient with regards to the pH and best way to try and start warming the patient further. It's possible that some of the lab values would improve once metabolism was improved with the body being normothermic.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
See how they go on CPAP first.

I'd refuse to transport this patient without the interhospital retrieval team coming with us. I'd need be I'd get the Duty Intensivist from the Department of Critical Care Medicine on the phone about it. I'm not experienced enough to manage somebody this sick.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Bicarb would probably not have been helpful.

I can imagine why the ED doc wanted to avoid intubation - it sounds as though she was quite tenuous, and intubating someone that acidemic can be risky. But.....with that GCS and ABG, I think it's fair to say that it should have been done. Much better in the ED by a physician with plenty of help than in the back of an ambulance by a single medic.

A CPAP trial would have been a good option. I wonder why they didn't do that?

This is a transport for a dedicated CCT crew who deals with these scenarios regularly, not a sole paramedic.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Agreed this transport was not a fun for anyone involved. I don't think death was probably avoidable in this case. I can also understand why the sending facility didn't want to intubate, don't want to precipitate the ultimate outcome. But then I don't know why the receiving intensivist didn't request it before transport. If no intubation I probably would have sent CCT. Heck, probably would have sent CCT regardless. With calcium too, although again I don't think this level of acidemia is something one recovers from.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Sounds like Rhabdo is playing a big role. I don't think Bicard would really do anything except for chasing a number. If they were hypotensive and poorly responsive to pressors then sure. This is the type of patient who dies during or shortly after intubation. Hopefully they ended up tubed and on CRRT once they got to the unit.

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
The patient did get intubated as soon as they got moved into the ICU bed.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Ouch! I do think that rhabdo is playing a big role here, and I'm not sure how much good bicarb would have done. Call me aggressive, but I would have liked to have tubed the pt. Intubation was inevitable. I think the pt could have benefited from some PEEP and increased tidal volume. A vent could also have provided benefits to the pt's acidosis by helping the pt do blow off CO2 more efficiently, even thought the pt was most likely in metabolic acidosis. A Tube could also give you access for some deep suction.

Reactions: 18G

Rescue7RN

Forum Ride Along
So this is one of my first posts but here are my two pennies.
1. You are taking a critical patient out of one facility and traveling for greater than an hour. Most people only count the drive time but there is time out of unit, loading, unloading and then up to the other unit. She needs intubated now before you leave. You need to have everything set up, and you need to do it with just a wiff of meds. No paralytics then match her minute volume immediately after intubation. If you can't do it, ask the referring doc to do it.

2. This is for a critical care team to do. Its ok to refuse these transports when they fall way out of your scope/knowledge level. This is not a dig on you, this is for the patients benefit.

3. She needs the bicarb but not push just because the PH is so low.

4. IVF. Now that you have controlled the airway, fill her up. with a liter or two. Her acute liver failure looks to be from shock liver. The renal failure looks to be acute on chronic because the BUN/CR ration is not greater than 20 but the IVF can help until you differentiate that.

5. What's everyones thoughts on anticoagulation and going direct to a cath lab? What was the 12 lead like? She's definitely having an NSTEMI and seeing what an echo is like would also be a benefit?

Tim

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
4. IVF. Now that you have controlled the airway, fill her up. with a liter or two. Her acute liver failure looks to be from shock liver. The renal failure looks to be acute on chronic because the BUN/CR ration is not greater than 20 but the IVF can help until you differentiate that.

Shock Liver in a normotensive patient? Why does this patient have elevated liver enzymes? Why is she in acute renal failure?

5. What's everyones thoughts on anticoagulation and going direct to a cath lab? What was the 12 lead like? She's definitely having an NSTEMI and seeing what an echo is like would also be a benefit?

This is not a NSTEMI. Do NOT coagulated her. She will likely end up in DIC. Why are here "cardiac" enzymes elevated? What else could elevated Trop/CK indicate?

You are looking at this as individual concurrent problems. Is there one reason for the whole constellation of issues?

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
So this is one of my first posts but here are my two pennies.
1. You are taking a critical patient out of one facility and traveling for greater than an hour. Most people only count the drive time but there is time out of unit, loading, unloading and then up to the other unit. She needs intubated now before you leave. You need to have everything set up, and you need to do it with just a wiff of meds. No paralytics then match her minute volume immediately after intubation. If you can't do it, ask the referring doc to do it.

2. This is for a critical care team to do. Its ok to refuse these transports when they fall way out of your scope/knowledge level. This is not a dig on you, this is for the patients benefit.

3. She needs the bicarb but not push just because the PH is so low.

Tim

Intubation was indicated and in hindsight should have made it happen but for whatever reason, all that were involved in the patient's care opted not to intubate at that stage in the game. I think we all have the coulda, shoulda moments. Again, the trajectory was death at this point so I wasn't too aggressive with pushing it... if the patient deteriorated I would have intubated the patient but they remained baseline with a patent airway. It's a case that provides emphasis for going forward in the future.

This acuity level of patient is often transported by a single Paramedic and is what we are accustomed to and comfortable with. I work for a hospital affiliated inter-facility company. We have out own ventilators, etc.

The patient had two liters of fluid infused.

I did not suspect an NSTEMI at all and neither did the ED doc. Enzyme elevations like these come from more than cardiac muscle and given the history and overall condition, the elevations seemed more likely from another cause.

All good thoughts.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Good discussion. Personally if I was not allowed to RSI, I would not have taken this patient. But hindsight is 20 / 20 right? I also was not thinking NSTEMI, but assumed the elevated enzymes were secondary to Sepsis. Given a lack of other options CPAP or Bipap , depending on your vent might have been an option. I know you considered it. Was there ever a repeat ABG? I assume not or you would have included it. Thanks for sharing.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
While I agree that this patient should probably have been intubated for transport, I also understand the ED doc's reluctance. This is not a routine patient and thus routine decision making and risk/benefit analyses do not necessarily apply. "GCS <8 = intubate" is not always true. This is the kind of patient who arrests on induction if. Attempting to improve things without intubation may have been the wiser choice. Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Attempting to improve things without intubation may have been the wiser choice. Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

We frequently have these type of crash intubations upon arrival to our unit since we are a tertiary hospital with frequent transfers from rural areas. Unfortunately, many of these rural EM Docs are just not comfortable or competent with these types of patients. Even though they need to be intubated they are usually better served by our CC/Pulm Intensivist then the moonlighting ER doc who has not intubated in month.

The worst situations are the ones who do not get intubated in the ED, crump en route, and arrive with a LMA/King and a bloody hypotensive mess after multiple airway attempts. The back of an ambulance, or helo, is not the place you want to tube these trainwrecks. Unfortunately, it happens.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
You're in good company thinking it would be smart, but both the data and the physiology is pretty sure that bicarb does not help these people. Any more than fanning away the smoke helps with housefires.

It sounds like calling this patient stable for transfer was a bit of a, erm, judgement call. Scary stuff. It's one thing when they're going to necessary care (e.g. a cath lab) but... well, I dunno. In particular, avoiding the airway issue (because of acidosis or hemodynamics or whatever) is really just punting it to the transporting crew (i.e. you).

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Here is the issue, ABG was bad, Mixed Acidodic while in a hypoxic state with being Hypothermic. Resp Rate increased because the body was trying to blow of the CO2 do hopefully get back to a normal Ph, but this guy is going to need help with that. Do you happen to Remember what his BE was on the ABG? I am guessing somewhere around -3.5. I am guessing (with out seeing more of his labs like Na, K, Cl) the acidodic state is because of a metabolic issue. But you also have to think that his ABG and lab values will be off because of his temp, so rewarming is another thing that needs to happen, bicarb will not work with patients that are hypothermic so that is why bicarb was not given, at least that is my best guess. Also with Hypothermic Patients, you are more likely to develop hyperchloremic Meta. Acidosis especially with prolonged hypothermia.

he was maintaining his own airway, plus with the elevated resp rate, he is able to blow of some CO2, The patient has been sick for a long time and he is very sick. He should have been seen by someone way before this, but some patients it takes an act of congress to get them into an ER.

I would be torn on tubing this guy and most likely would not do it because he was not having a resp issue, my main goal would rewarm him to about 96 degrees, than bicarb and intubated probably than.

Also to fix the Acid issue, we need to deal with the underlying causes which is going to be
1. Temp issue
2. Septic

until those are fixed, he will not get better.

This is a CCT, and you should not have been put into this situation, a specialty team should have handled this, but i do not know about your area, you might not have a CCT available.

Very good case study!!!!

Last edited:

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Here is the issue, ABG was bad, Mixed Acidodic while in a hypoxic state with being Hypothermic. Resp Rate increased because the body was trying to blow of the CO2 do hopefully get back to a normal Ph, but this guy is going to need help with that. Do you happen to Remember what his BE was on the ABG? I am guessing somewhere around -3.5. I am guessing (with out seeing more of his labs like Na, K, Cl) the acidodic state is because of a metabolic issue. But you also have to think that his ABG and lab values will be off because of his temp, so rewarming is another thing that needs to happen, bicarb will not work with patients that are hypothermic so that is why bicarb was not given, at least that is my best guess. Also with Hypothermic Patients, you are more likely to develop hyperchloremic Meta. Acidosis especially with prolonged hypothermia.

he was maintaining his own airway, plus with the elevated resp rate, he is able to blow of some CO2, The patient has been sick for a long time and he is very sick. He should have been seen by someone way before this, but some patients it takes an act of congress to get them into an ER.

I would be torn on tubing this guy and most likely would not do it because he was not having a resp issue, my main goal would rewarm him to about 96 degrees, than bicarb and intubated probably than.

Also to fix the Acid issue, we need to deal with the underlying causes which is going to be
1. Temp issue
2. Septic

until those are fixed, he will not get better.

This is a CCT, and you should not have been put into this situation, a specialty team should have handled this, but i do not know about your area, you might not have a CCT available.

Very good case study!!!!

So I just re looked at the ABG, I thought the O2 was PO2. Do we have a Po2?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So I just re looked at the ABG, I thought the O2 was PO2. Do we have a Po2?
Indeed we do...
Initial ABG was pH: 7.06, PCO2: 56, PO2: 54, HCO3: 16. O2 sat: 71% (4lpm-N/C). Lactic acid was like 6 or 7. WBC: 18.2. Troponin: 5.4, CK and CK-MB both grossly elevated. ALT and AST were in the thousands range. Potassium was 5.7. BUN: 35, Creatinine: 4.32.