Seizure vs. Panic

FLAEMT22

Forum Probie
Sounds like he was either shook up and had a pseudo-seizure. Something that presents just like a seizure with the same tonic clonic movements, but to a lesser degree. Or, maybe he had a focal seizure. But I have never heard of someone having a seizure while standing up, pretty sure they would lose all motor function.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We need a thread about seizures and some expert opinion.

Any part of the brain can be injured and "seize" (or more historically "be seized"). People with real seizures can also do pseudoseizures. And there is the ever popular "psychomotor seizure", like the one which allegedly lasted three days to enable a defendant to illegally buy a gun, steal a car, rob a convenience clerk at gunpoint and pistol whip him to death, dispose of the gun, and flee the city.
Recovery from vasovagal is frequently accompanied by "funky chicken", also.

OP
OP
R

ryanbg

Forum Probie
go to medical school. seriously, thats the only way for you to be able to effectively diagnose and treat.

other than doing that, asses the patient according to your level of training, treat as appropriate, recommend that they be evaluated further by a physician, if they refuse document it and carry on with your day/life.

you cant save everyone. you cant fix stupid and you cant save the world. the very second you fully realize and accept that, 95% of the physical and emotional stress associated with emergency medicine flies away and never comes back.

I know this thread is old but... I wasn't insisting that I was going to treat the patient, I just was wondering if I should take the same precautions for a seizure as I would a situation like this that would happen to have lasted longer.

OP
OP
R

ryanbg

Forum Probie
Sounds like he was either shook up and had a pseudo-seizure. Something that presents just like a seizure with the same tonic clonic movements, but to a lesser degree. Or, maybe he had a focal seizure. But I have never heard of someone having a seizure while standing up, pretty sure they would lose all motor function.

He stood up after his episode had finished and he sort of snapped out of it. At this point I would assume he was just disoriented and panicking.

emt83

Forum Probie
I am a seizure patient, and would like to explain to you how I feel after a seizure. I usually feel very tired and usually just want to rest. I have never had a seizure and then just popped right up like there was no problem that's interesting. I guess it depends on the patient. Who is to say that it wasn't an actual seizure though. Hope that helped answer your question.

MRE

Forum Captain
I know this thread is old but... I wasn't insisting that I was going to treat the patient, I just was wondering if I should take the same precautions for a seizure as I would a situation like this that would happen to have lasted longer.

Just remember your lifeguard training. Regardless of whether your patient is passive, semi passive, active or seizing in the water, if they are unable to keep their head above water and/or get to the side of the pool, you need to assist them with this. After they come down the slide, and you determine that they have a problem, consider if you need to take spinal precautions (probably not, but depening on how they land, you might want to, just in case). Assuming no spinal, do your 2 arm rear rescue and bring them to the side of the pool. If they appear to be seizing, hold them at the side from behind (your arms under their armpits, holding the pool wall) until they stop or are calm enough to remove from the water. Talk to them and telll them to remain calm and that they are safe. If they are just panicking, they will more than likely climb out or attempt to climb out of the pool on their own. Either way, treat the conditions you find once they are out (unconscious, not breathing, still seizing, etc) and call for an ambulance if necessary. Have another guard or two assist you if possible especially if it appears they are panicking/behaving irrationally or seizing.

Cliff notes:

1. Get them out of the water safely
2. Treat conditions you find once on pool deck
3. Doesn't matter if they had a seisure or panicked, treatment is about the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Mabey he just wanted some attention, or to see if anyone was paying attention. I have seen many people do stuff like that just for the attention when I was doing my externship for my Dr.