second guessing your career, should I take it as a life experience and learn from it?

WOLFMAN

Forum Ride Along
The pt we got had low o2 sat and we put her on 15 lpm and they didn't want her going to the closest hospital. So I have to get a refusal to nearest hospital. They made a big deal of signing so I said fine and walked out because it was delaying pt care. The administration guy came outside and told us not to take the pt and if he did he would call our company and sue us. We brought the pt in and my partner talked them into taking her so we did. The guy there told me I wasn't a professional blah blah blah. I was trying to think about the pt but instead I potentially almost made the pt worse by arguing and delaying care even more, I feel like crap now and almost second guessing if I deserve to be in this field. I always try my best and I truly love this field and I always try to put the patient first, my partner told me not to sweat it and take it as a learning experience but it's killing me.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Who is "they" and "the guy there"? What does "brought the patient in" mean, in where? Who requested transport? Why do you need a refusal to transport to another facility?

So many details missing it's hard to understand the situation.

"Thinking about the patient" and being unprofessional are not mutually exclusive.

In general, arguing on-scene is pretty unprofessional.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Oops, sorry I forgot to actually answer your question.

Eather way it went, there was certainly a learning opportunity here. Try to understand how it got out of hand and what you could do differently next time, regardless of if you were in the wrong or not. We can't control other people, only our own actions. Learn from it and move on.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Are you on a BLS transfer service taking patients out of nursing homes to appointments and the ED from a "contracted facility?"

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
sounds to me like your on a transport company, and experienced your first "nursing home wishes vs best interests of the patient" conflicts. welcome to the fun world of non-emergency transport services!

Take this as a learning experience, and keep these things in mind
1) in general, low pulse ox (with no other signs or symptoms) is not a critical complaint, and can often be fixed (temporarily) by given high flow oxygen
2) keep in mind, your agency is often more interested in maintaining the contract than looking out for your best interests. So complaints from a facility can get you fired, even if your right
3) follow your agency's rules on where the patient gets transported to... when a conflict arises, contact your supervisor for guidance
4) you can't please everyone, especially when you are conflicting with them. if the administrator is annoyed at you, oh well, good thing you don't work for him right? don't lose sleep over this.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
That made my head hurt trying to understand what you were trying to say. Using my brain I am trying to fill in all the blanks. If a patient doesnt want to be taken to "AAA" Hospital and wants to go to "XYZ" Hospital you go to "XYZ". If the person with Power of Attorney same thing. Now if it was the SNF Saying no to a certain hospital they dont have any say in that, transport decision is based on patient and patient needs.

Now regarding the Admin guy, someone called you to the facility for that patient, so there was a concern that the patient needed transported. He can call my administration all he wants, it wont go very far. Because he does not have the authority over a patient.

Now on the last little complaint about not deserving, take a deep breath and move on. I bet that ALL the members that have been on this forum for a long time has had at least one complaint against them, and we are all still here. Just do your job, do your best, and sooner or later someone will complain.