Schedules

ride2k

Forum Crew Member
As far as schedules go in EMS, I've seen companies with all sorts of shifts... 9-5, rotating schedules. The city I live in and where I would hope to get a job upon the completion of my EMT class would have me working a 2 week rotating schedule.

So it would be as follows:

Work Schedule
"LMEMS crews work 12 hour shifts with the possibility of being held an additional 4 hours as needed. Crews work a two week rotating schedule, either A shift or B shift, with every other other weekend off."

Does anyone else have input on schedules like this and how do you like it? Do you find you are working too much during on days? I think Louisville has had unique experiences with workers complaining of too much overtime but I wanted to get some other input.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I like that schedule. I worked it for 2 years in a comm center job where I was pretty sure to get off on time. It's nice to sleep at home every day and have rotating days off.

In my experience, the shift is like this:

MTWTFSS MTWTFSS
AABBAAA BBAABBB

I like that shift.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
The service where I live and where a few friends of mine work use that schedule. He likes not switching back from Day and Night very often and the short sets but finds the short time off means he never really settles.

I love our schedule. 12 hr shifts, 4 week rotation. 4 nights, 4 off, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 off, 4 days, 6 off. 4 vacation days getse two weeks off. It helps too that we have a policy that states that once you run past shift end at the completion of that call we are out of service unless we're closest to a cardiac arrest, come upon a call or in the event of an ongoing MCI/disaster are instructed to stay in service. Means even at my busy station OT is fairly short.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
At my IFT/911 full time position we work a very similar schedule. We have an A Tour and B Tour. The Tour schedules are F, Sa, Sun one week and W, Th, M, Tu the following. Work weeks run Wednesday to Tuesday.

The same company does offer other varying shifts. There is a 7-5 mon-fri (minus th), 4am-12 mon-fri, 7-5 four days/6a-7p three days, 8-8 wed, sat, sun and then various open shifts/power shifts.

All SCT/Primary EMS/Night BLS trucks work on the tour, as well as the supervisors and dispatchers.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I like that schedule. I worked it for 2 years in a comm center job where I was pretty sure to get off on time. It's nice to sleep at home every day and have rotating days off.

In my experience, the shift is like this:

MTWTFSS MTWTFSS
AABBAAA BBAABBB

I like that shift.

This is how we do it, and I like it a lot.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Most of us have set days. with part timers filling in the missing pieces.

Its kinda of nice to know what your working every week. and you can adjust your schedule in advance if you have something upcoming.

To the OP. I think abckidsmom described your schedule the best. I worked that rotation before and its often referred to as a EOWEO *every other weekend off* I used to like that schedule turns out you actually work like 170 days a year, unless you get overtime, and you get a 3 day weekend every other week. the other nice advantages is when your days off fall during the week you can get things accomplished