Scene safety, what would you do?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This is based on a real call I ran a few weeks back that got me a written complaint. I'll tell ya'll what I did after I get some feedback.

You and your partner (both EMT-Is) are dispatched out to a bee sting. You're the only truck in the county at the moment and the nearest backup is 40 minutes away from a BLS service. You have a VFD available within 10 minutes, but there are no EMTs with that VFD.
Weather: Typical mid December day: mid 70* weather, clear, some gusty winds.
Fully stocked ALS bus.

Get on scene to the bee sting, and see two kids laying on the ground. There are bees flying around all over. Looking around you see a large stick next to the kids and a broken hive on the ground. Kids appear to still have chest rise that you can see from the front seats of the bus

What do you do?

Oh, and for the purpose of this call, you and your partner are both literally deathly allergic to bee stings, and are wearing short sleeve uniforms with no jackets in the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is based on a real call I ran a few weeks back that got me a written complaint. I'll tell ya'll what I did after I get some feedback.

Oh, and for the purpose of this call, you and your partner are both literally deathly allergic to bee stings, and are wearing short sleeve uniforms with no jackets in the bus.

No PPE and both providers deathly allergic? Well.. bye until the fire department arrives. (on a side note, I always carry my jacket in the ambulance, regardless the weather).

Minus the allergy, access to rope? Run in, wrap the feet, and pull. Alternatively, there's the fire extinguisher.

mc400

Forum Crew Member
Get epi ready for yourself and your patients and man up and get the kids. Drive up as close as possible one gets out and tosses kids into the bus and the start working on yourself if needed and your patients lol. Gotta risk a lot to save a lot. I work for a FD but we have our own rescue ambos. In this situation I would have access to turnouts, mask, scba etc so hopefully I never have that problem. What did you do?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Tough call. Bees are generally not going to sting you unless you are aggressive with them. It could be that they are over the act of aggression that was the kids breaking the hive. I would probably get out to assess the behavior of the bees, and likely end up going in and getting the kids out.

Thinking hard here, I'd probably put on the isolation gowns in the truck and maybe even drape a pillowcase around my head and neck to keep them from getting in the shirt. I'd take a sheet to drag the kids out on, and not bring them into the truck without stripping them, because they're going to have bees in their clothes, likely.

But I'm a risk-taker in general. Maybe draw up the epi before I go, times 4, just in case.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
No PPE and both providers deathly allergic? Well.. bye until the fire department arrives. (on a side note, I always carry my jacket in the ambulance, regardless the weather).

Minus the allergy, access to rope? Run in, wrap the feet, and pull. Alternatively, there's the fire extinguisher.

Our jackets were at the station, since we don't post. We generally leave everything that we don't need on a call there

Mobey

Forum Probie
Get epi ready for yourself and your patients and man up and get the kids

I knew you were FD based as soon as I read that sentence.

You are of no help if you yourself are in anaphylaxis. For those of you saying to inject yourself with epi, and keep treating the kids I have 2 questions.

1) Have you EVER dealt with a true anaphylaxis??

2) Basic scene management -
Who is our highest priority?

A) The patient
B) Yourself and your partner
C) Bystanders

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

You are of no help if you yourself are in anaphylaxis. For those of you saying to inject yourself with epi, and keep treating the kids I have 2 questions.

A) The patient
C) Bystanders

This is not a definite risk though. It's possible to be around bees and not be stung. It's all about limiting skin exposure and remaining calm with slow, careful movements. With the standard equipment on an ambulance, it's possible to cover almost all of your skin.

Standard bee behavior means that they would be calming down by the time the ambulance got there.

8jimi8

CFRN
Post and wait for fire/rescue. You cannot perform as a HCP if you yourself are a patient. Me personally, not allergic so I'd get he limited Ppe and drag the kids out. I've walked into a swarm of angry bees without being stung.

Fox800

Forum Captain
We had a similar scenario a few years back. Car crashed into a tree with thousands of Africanized bees swarming, driver was DOS. Several providers got stung, one had to be transported if I recall correctly. FD eventually had to don level A HAZMAT suits to do work if I remember correctly.

mc400

Forum Crew Member

A) The patient
C) Bystanders

LOL, I knew that would be coming, fourtunately I would have the equipment needed with me and not have to wait for fire to show up and watch the children possibly die, sometimes fire based is good right ;), we don't have to wait for the hero's to show up....j/k. Yes I have dealt with anaphylaxis before on several occasions. And yes I know that in the scene safety thingy my safety is first, but you risk a lot to save a lot. I would have a really hard time at least not giving it a shot.

This raises a few concerns for me. If you are in an area with the possibility of bee attacks you should have some sort of ppe to deal with it. Waiting for mutual aiod from far away is not acceptable. We are in the life saving business, be prepared.

And in the scenario the VFD does not need emts to turn out and start laying out a protective fog foan stream. Call for them asap!

There are very few times in a career where the risk a lot to save a lot protocol can make a difference. This is one of them.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I would take a minute to think about it, get the FD enroute. If they get there quick have them suit up and get the kids, using their big garden hose to clear the bees. If I have to go in I am putting on PPE and taping up the sleeves and neck. I go in and my partner stays, one person should be able to drag a couple kids, you need one person completely safe. I would try going it with nothing first, just playing it cool with the bees. If they don't like that get the fire extinguisher. I would prob bring some prefilled drugs with me in case I have to treat and leave. It wouldn't be that hard to go in assess and then give drugs needed.

As long as there are bees on them they do not get in my box, treat it like any other contaminate.

Last edited by a moderator:

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
I think I would have requested FD to respond as they have TOG and SCBAs -- Especially as both you and your partner were deathly allergic. There is no sense in putting yourselves in danger. If you were to get stung, then you've got three patients instead of two. Just my .02.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Fashion an isolation gown and gurney sheets into a protective outer garment. Use tape to seal any openings. Don't forget to do the pant leg cuffs... heavy gloves if available, and tape some more. Move slowly non-aggressively, but purposely. Be ready to drag your patients out of the immediate area of the swarm. Once close to the ambulance, stop, pull out the scissors, cut patient's outer clothing off. Check yourself and partner for any bees... get moving. Oh, and make sure you're downwind. CO2 from your ambulance exhaust can drive bees nuts. And since you're in a bee area, kick yourself for not having bee-keeping stuff on hand at all times that the bees are active.

While getting suited up as quickly as possible, call for FD and have them put a water fog out to provide a further barrier against the bees. The idea is that while the VFD is doing the fog, you should be ready for the extrication. Move fast!

uhbt420

Forum Crew Member
Kids appear to still have chest rise that you can see from the front seats of the bus
considering the fact that they are still breathing, i would call the fire department and draw up some epi. i'm not going in there, sorry.

the other option of improvising iso gowns, etc as protection is something i would consider if i didn't see chest rise. frankly it would take just as long to suit up as it would for the FD to arrive.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Post and wait for fire/rescue. You cannot perform as a HCP if you yourself are a patient. Me personally, not allergic so I'd get he limited Ppe and drag the kids out. I've walked into a swarm of angry bees without being stung.

This sounds like the most concise and logical answer. I am not allergic either, so I'm willing to take a few stings to get the kids. If I was allergic however, I'd have no choice but to wait for more help. FD in turnouts is probably going to be the best option in this case.

Unless of course a bug exterminator happens to be working at the house down the street. If there is, get him to put on his bee suit and drag the kids out. (Just don't let him go spaying chemicals all over the place first!) B)

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nice to see the responses :) What I did was put in a call to our chief who was about 15 minutes out, called VFD to come and hose things down, along with breaking out Epi 1:10 for IV and some 1:1 for IM if they're that bad and some Benadryl and laid it all out along with IV supplies in the back of our bus. We also called local animal control and asked if they had any idea about a bee keeping suit (they did and headed our way, but FD got there first).

We don't have any commercial bee keeping outfits near us that I know of, and yea we are i nthe middle of africanized territory so me and my partner were both wary.

Pt outcome was good. Both patients started to have respiratory swelling by the time we got them in our bus but we some 1:1 Epi followed by IVs and 1:10 Epi and Benadryl solved it pretty well.

uhbt420

Forum Crew Member
Nice to see the responses :) What I did was put in a call to our chief who was about 15 minutes out, called VFD to come and hose things down, along with breaking out Epi 1:10 for IV and some 1:1 for IM if they're that bad and some Benadryl and laid it all out along with IV supplies in the back of our bus. We also called local animal control and asked if they had any idea about a bee keeping suit (they did and headed our way, but FD got there first).

We don't have any commercial bee keeping outfits near us that I know of, and yea we are i nthe middle of africanized territory so me and my partner were both wary.

Pt outcome was good. Both patients started to have respiratory swelling by the time we got them in our bus but we some 1:1 Epi followed by IVs and 1:10 Epi and Benadryl solved it pretty well.

u shouldnt have gotten a complaint. scene safety is day 1 of emtb class. discretion is the better part of valor in this job

as for the responses about putting on iso gowns and trudging heroically towards the victims... not to be rude but that's just a bad idea on so many levels

u did the right thing

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Interesting call, why the complaint issued and by whom?

One of the patient's mothers. For our delay on scene in getting to the kids. Just a complaint though, not a write up.