San Diego ambulance wash?

pullnshoot25

Forum Crew Member
So my company needs a place to get its rigs washed and I can't seem to find a decent place to do that. Does anyone know where a good place for that might be, preferably in the North County area?

OP
OP
pullnshoot25

pullnshoot25

Forum Crew Member
Oh yeah, one last question... is there anything to do that's fun in Hemet to do while waiting on patients?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh yeah, one last question... is there anything to do that's fun in Hemet to do while waiting on patients?

All their is to do in Hemet is avoid getting shot.... :rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
There are places that wash ambulances? Excluding the bucket and spigot in the back of the station?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
There are places that wash ambulances? Excluding the bucket and spigot in the back of the station?

Yea....I was gonna say..... At my service we are responsible for washing our own rig, after every call if possible.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
You got 2 choices depending on type of ambulance you're driving. Either bucket and sponge or coin car wash if it fits. Are you looking for full service car wash?

OP
OP
pullnshoot25

pullnshoot25

Forum Crew Member
Well, my company doesn't have a station at the moment down here in SD and self washing is a bit of a pain as well so we were hoping for a drive through or a decent DIY station. I know of a few DIY places but they are a bit out of the way.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We used this place for a while.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, my company doesn't have a station at the moment down here in SD and self washing is a bit of a pain as well so we were hoping for a drive through or a decent DIY station. I know of a few DIY places but they are a bit out of the way.

What do you mean by decent diy station? Is coin car wash not diy station unless you can do it in your lot?

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
Bucket, Hose, Soap, Brush, and some Elbow Grease. We wash our rigs at least twice a shift on the outside. When our shift starts and ends, as well as filling it with fuel.

As for the inside full decon after transporting anyone with infectious disease, and I guess you can call it a light decon after every call.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My company supposedly has VSTs to take care of rig washing. I've never seen them.
We take ours to a quarter car wash around the corner a few times a week (property manager won't let us do it at the station). Yeah, it's a pain, but it's part of the job.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Pretty much any decent truck stop would have a wash bay big enough to accomodate you.

We wash our rigs at least twice a shift on the outside. When our shift starts and ends,

So you wash the semi truck as soon as your shift ends, then while it's still dripping the oncoming crew washes it again?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Pretty much any decent truck stop would have a wash bay big enough to accomodate you.

So you wash the semi truck as soon as your shift ends, then while it's still dripping the oncoming crew washes it again?

LOL, this time of year we wash the truck in the morning when we're checking it out, and at midnight or so we'll hit the front to get the bugs off the windshield. If we're still running calls at midnight.

In winter, we wash below the stripe daily as long as the highs are over 40.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our ambulances and chair cars must get washed at the end of the shift, or prepare to face the music. The owners' father is in the car wash business, so we are lucky enough to have a small, automatic car wash in the bay. It's freakin' terrifying to drive through since you can't see anything out of the windshield and you are still steering and trying to drive at a speed slow enough to actually get the truck clean without the machine shutting off with you inside it.

The car wash does a pretty crappy job though. When I get back to base early or want to stretch 45 minutes to an hour of OT, we have the soap loaded pressure washers overhead, a big vacuum, and all sorts of cleaners/brushes/mops/squeegees. That gets the truck actually looking like someone cares about it, which makes my boss happy, which makes me happy. Keep your truck clean shiny inside and out and you might get to keep it for more than a shift at a time.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Tigger that sounds terrifying. I'm pretty sure the OP understands the benefit of washing rigs folks, fairly positive he's trying to get advice on where to wash it in the local area seeing as how he doesn't have a station to do it at. Now unless you're advocating sidling up behind Safeway and snagging their spigot...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL, this time of year we wash the truck in the morning when we're checking it out, and at midnight or so we'll hit the front to get the bugs off the windshield. If we're still running calls at midnight.

In winter, we wash below the stripe daily as long as the highs are over 40.

Ha ha ha!!! So I'm not the only one who does a below the stripe wash! I love it!

I asked a brand new trainee a while back why they put a stripe on our ambulances. She of course had no idea so I told her that it was simply to show the crews where they should wash the rig. If it isn't that dirty you wash below the line and that is enough to keep it looking good. Later that day I heard her in the day room telling a couple other new people why there is a stripe on all of our ambulances. Lol!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Find a place that does big rigs. Try a nice truck stop.

Anjel

Forum Angel
There was all kinds of excitement by our supervisor when he found a new bug wash that we could use to get the bugs off the light bar.

We go to the back corner. And get to washing at the end of shift.

If it isn't that bad, I wash below the stripe lol and just rinse. Oh and the tires.

To the OP. Just wash it in the parking lot. You have to have a place to store or park the rigs don't you?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Where are the vehicles garaged? Don't ambulances need to be garaged indoors/with a shoreline when not staffed, or is that just an MA thing? Especially in the CA heat, how to you keep (BLS) meds at the right temp, or keep the back a comfortable temp for patients?

Does your company have a dispatch? Extra supplies or equipment? A place for crews to sit between calls?