Ride alongs

feldy

Forum Captain
I'm going to be starting my EMT-B training in a month. Does anyone one if any companies in MA do ride alongs for trainees?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
First of all, welcome to EMTLife!

Some EMT programs in the Boston area have clinical time integrated into their course (it is not a requirement for certification in MA). I believe there is a financial connection between the companies that allow for ride alongs, and the EMT Schools, and is usually included in your tuition to said program.

It's worth a call to private services in your area-- to look into it, but I doubt they will allow it (liability being one of the prime reasons). If you tell us where in MA you are from, or what program you are going to, we can direct to you companies in your area.

OP
OP
F

feldy

Forum Captain
I will be taking the course in davers, ma at north shore community college, but i am closer to the andover/north andover area

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
congrats, and welcome to the EMS family!!! i'm glad you have chosen to be one of America's best and make a difference in your community. as to your question, any ambulance company will arrange you a ride provided you sign off on liability and sign that you will abide by their rules and reg's. here in illinois it is called a clinical form; i dont know about where you're at. the state dept. of public health or whatever you have up there should have the information you need. believe me, you will love it!!!

elementboy01

Forum Probie
I know from my experience here in CA all the fire departments have been super accommodating letting me ride along as long as I sign a release of liability. Even being an EMT_B student I have been allowed to ride ALS rigs and even get my feet we and help out. i.e. prep IV's, do CPR and what not, definitely one of the best tings I could have done to get a leg up

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I will be taking the course in davers, ma at north shore community college, but i am closer to the andover/north andover area

I dont know the North Shore too well, but some private ambulance companies to look into, and contact to ask include,
Alert Amb
AMR (Lowell)
Cataldo Amb
Armstrong (Arlington)
Cataldo
Lyons Amb
Trinity EMS
Patriot Amb
PrideSTAR EMS

In terms of FDs, you can find a complete list of transporting departments at
http://www.neems.org/

I wish you the best of luck!

Dan

Dearing Baymiller

Forum Probie
I'm going to be starting my EMT-B training in a month. Does anyone one if any companies in MA do ride alongs for trainees?

good luck with that, i hope you get the chance!

in our smaller town, i'll get the opportunity to do quite a bit of ride along while i'm in school. i did a few, years ago in a first responder class, and can't wait to get out there and get some experience and skills training. it won't be for a few months, but i'm still stoked.

Dave

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I know from my experience here in CA all the fire departments have been super accommodating letting me ride along as long as I sign a release of liability. Even being an EMT_B student I have been allowed to ride ALS rigs and even get my feet we and help out. i.e. prep IV's, do CPR and what not, definitely one of the best tings I could have done to get a leg up

REALLY!! That is awesome! I'm going to be on the phone tomorrow!! Do I just call the local stations?

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
have you talked to your coordinator about them? at my school, they set them up for us. 2 ambulance rides and 2 hospital clinicals

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
One last note, I just remembered something. Professional Ambulance, in Cambridge, offers ride aongs to students, on their website. I know several people who have tried to get in touch with them to arrange it, but were unable, but its still worth an attempt. go to proamb.com

OP
OP
F

feldy

Forum Captain
thanks for the help...i found that trinity ems offers ride alongs as long as you have your CPR cert.