Resume questions: Education and Awards

mikeb890

Forum Probie
Hey guys. I'm doing my resume right now and would appreciate some help with it.

Education: How far back should I go education wise? Do I only list the program I completed my EMT training in, or should I also list the university I attended and got a Bachelors degree from too? My major wasn't directly relevant to EMS or healthcare.

Awards: Eh. I'm not too sure about including this section at all, so tell me what you think. The awards that I was thinking of mentioning were track and field achievements(sprints and relays). You see, I'm only 5'2(and the opposite of tanned), and so people don't always know the things that I'm physically capable of. I thought if I included such things, they might be less concerned about my height when I do land an interview.

Of course, I know that I'm obviously not the first or only short EMT in the world...

So, what do you guys think?

(P.S while you're at it, should females wear light makeup to interviews or no makeup at all? Is long hair tied in a pony tail an acceptable style?)

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Hey guys. I'm doing my resume right now and would appreciate some help with it.

Education: How far back should I go education wise? Do I only list the program I completed my EMT training in, or should I also list the university I attended and got a Bachelors degree from too? My major wasn't directly relevant to EMS or healthcare.

Awards: Eh. I'm not too sure about including this section at all, so tell me what you think. The awards that I was thinking of mentioning were track and field achievements(sprints and relays). You see, I'm only 5'2(and the opposite of tanned), and so people don't always know the things that I'm physically capable of. I thought if I included such things, they might be less concerned about my height when I do land an interview.

Of course, I know that I'm obviously not the first or only short EMT in the world...

So, what do you guys think?

(P.S while you're at it, should females wear light makeup to interviews or no makeup at all? Is long hair tied in a pony tail an acceptable style?)

I would absolutely list your Bachelor's Degree, relevant or not, especially if this is a resume for an entry level position, which I'm assuming it is. I wouldn't personally put any track and field awards in, but I understand why you want to.

Your physical capabilities will be easily proven during a pre-employment test or during orientation. I've seen tall people that can't lift worth a darn and shrimps that can move mountains. Most hiring people in EMS know that looks can be very deceiving.

I have long hair myself, and to interviews, it's a bun, or nothing- but that's just my personal opinion. A ponytail is certainly preferable to leaving your hair down, but I think it makes you look a bit more "girly" than a bun does. Again, just my opinion.

Make up is okay, as long as it's very light makeup. If makeup is done right, it should enhance your features without looking like you're wearing much. Having said that, I'm a huge hypocrite, because I LOVE my eye makeup, but for an interview, I keep it very, very neutral.

Hope this helps! :)

OP
OP
M

mikeb890

Forum Probie
Thank you so much, EMSrush. It definitely helped :)

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
A bachelors degree is something you should be very proud of, even if its in basket weaving, you should still include it. Good luck on your interview. Remember, eye contact and a firm handshake!

-r