Rescue breaths

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Agreed. Five is four.

When someone says "My protocols say" things get dicey.

girlyEMT26

Forum Probie
When you walk up to bystanders performing CPR on a patient, you would need to reassess them because sometimes they can be performing CPR when the patient has a pulse, so you wouldnt want to jump to the AED you would kill them or sometimes they arent properly doing CPR.. always re assess your patient if you didnt observe the syncable episode.

girlyEMT26

Forum Probie
When you walk up to bystanders performing CPR on a patient, you would need to reassess them because sometimes they can be performing CPR when the patient has a pulse, so you wouldnt want to jump to the AED you would kill them or sometimes they arent properly doing CPR.. always re assess your patient if you didnt observe the syncable episode

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I do not even go straight to compressions here, my protocols have us check for a pulse and apneic after every shock. Then two more breaths before continuing CPR.

Your protocols say what now?

I seem to remember AHA says directly following shock you go right back into compressions, do your 2 minutes of CPR, and then reassess. If still pulseless and apnic, check your rhythm and if shockable, blast 'em again, if not, keep going with another cycle of CPR, after two more miutes, reassess........and so on and so forth.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I thought you always immediately resume compressions regardless of whether a shock is delivered. It's my understanding(and im just an emt basic) that even if the heart is shocked back into a normal rythym, you still should do a couple minutes of compressions because the heart is still weak and may not be pumping effectively initially.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I thought you always immediately resume compressions regardless of whether a shock is delivered. It's my understanding(and im just an emt basic) that even if the heart is shocked back into a normal rythym, you still should do a couple minutes of compressions because the heart is still weak and may not be pumping effectively initially.

Do CPR until there's an obvious change in their (the patient's) status. If they start gagging, moving, etc., then you should probably stop ;)

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
If it has been longer then 4-5 minutes since the patient went into cardiac arrest, immediatly perform 5 cycles of CPR at a ratio on 30 compressions and 2 ventilations, which is approximately 2 minutes. Following the 5 cycles of CPR, apply AED and follow the AED protocol. The patient must be unresponsive, with no breathing and no pulse.

If bystanders or first-responders have already begun CPR, instruct them to stop while you perform an assessment of the air way, breathing, and circulation. Begin or resume CPR while the AED is readied for operation. When the AED enters its analysis mode, Stop any ongoing CPR and clear the patient and hit the analys button, be sure to keep patient clear. If the AED indicates "Deliver Shock" once again make sure everyone is clear, press the shock button to deliver the shock, then resume CPR for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes of CPR pause to check patient's pules for no longer then 10 seconds. If pulse is present, check for breathing. If patient is breathing adequatley high flow O2 via non-rebreather, If patient is breathing inadequetly begin PPV. If no pulse is present reanalyze the rhythm, deliver second shock and resume CPR. If no shocked is advised Check for pulse if no pulse is present the AED could of possibly detected a non shockable rhythm, which in that case resume CPR and transport immediatly. Transport after two (or three shocks) are delivered (with intervening period of CPR) or a total of two (or three) "No Shock" messagesa are received.

Aed's only shock rhythms in V-Fib or V-Tach.