Reliable study aids aside from EMT-B textbook

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
I bought a Peterson's Study Guide as a supplement to my textbook. I notice one of the answers directly contradicts one of the test questions we had recently in class. On the test question - and according to our teacher - a patient with a visible thoracic spine deformity CAN be transported with their legs elevated - as in just their legs elevated 6 to 12 inches - not the foot of the backboard being elevated.

The Peterson study guide says that a patient with any suspected spinal injury should be transported on a long spine board with the foot of the board being elevated and that elevation of only the legs could cause additional spinal movement and create additional damage. That's what I always thought - but it was wrong on my test question.

Are some study guides more reliable than others? I'm looking to study as many scenarios as possible so I can answer them according to the NREMT guidelines. Yes - I know the book and the NREMT aren't the real world - but I need to be able to pass the NREMT so I can go work in the real world.

So -what are some of the best study guides and sites?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Go by what your teacher teaches as that's what you're being graded on.

How much of the spine are in the legs?

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
I would go by what your teacher and your book say. Hopefully they are in line with NREMT, otherwise they aren't doing you much good!!

For what it's worth, I graduated class and passed NREMT about two weeks ago and I was definitely taught that any suspected spinal injury (let alone visible deformity!) goes on a long spine board. If you also need to manage shock, then you raise the whole foot of the board.

True, but if you manipulate the thigh then you are manipulating the pelvis, to some extent, and the pelvis is connected to the spine. Not trying to challenge you, but it's just something to consider. They are spinal "precautions" because we don't know the extent of the injury and don't want to exacerbate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CNAinFL

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
Go by what your teacher teaches as that's what you're being graded on.

All of it? Wait...let me check the A&P chapter again...

I always go by what the teacher says for the class tests - I'm just thinking about the NREMT-B.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Oh of course, the less movement the better, but there's a reason why the legs are the last to be strapped and secured to a longboard in spinal immobilization.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Oh of course, the less movement the better, but there's a reason why the legs are the last to be strapped and secured to a longboard in spinal immobilization.

I was taught that the head is the last part to be secured...damn, is everything I know wrong? LOL!!!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh, depends, but per NREMT skill sheet, which is what some people base it off of, it's torso, head, legs/arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CNAinFL

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
I was taught that the head is the last part to be secured...damn, is everything I know wrong? LOL!!!

Even our teachers have different takes on things. We have about half a dozen teachers altogether and they are all professionals with many years in the field. And there are several things that they have given us different opinions on - cap refill - how to bandage a neck wound - etc.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to study for the book-based tests and NREMTB at this point. Once I get in the field I can go by local protocol and what my agency tells me.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Meh, depends, but per NREMT skill sheet, which is what some people base it off of, it's torso, head, legs/arms.

FWIW, which is not much, I was taught to immobilize the torso first, then the legs, then the head. What usually seems to wind up happening is that all the straps get put on at around the same time, then the head is done last. :)

Everything is always much easier in class, with a nice flat floor and plenty of space. When you're out in the snow, putting someone on a LBB on a wheelchair ramp with 3 inches of space on either side and enough ice to host Olympic speedskating... then things get interesting.

I understand spiral staircases also make for exciting times, though I haven't had that one happen yet. That's another one they don't teach in EMT-B class. :)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
FWIW, which is not much, I was taught to immobilize the torso first, then the legs, then the head. What usually seems to wind up happening is that all the straps get put on at around the same time, then the head is done last. :)

Everything is always much easier in class, with a nice flat floor and plenty of space. When you're out in the snow, putting someone on a LBB on a wheelchair ramp with 3 inches of space on either side and enough ice to host Olympic speedskating... then things get interesting.

I understand spiral staircases also make for exciting times, though I haven't had that one happen yet. That's another one they don't teach in EMT-B class. :)

Short spine board?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Are your instructors for EMT the same for the Paramedic program there?

OP
OP
CNAinFL

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
Are your instructors for EMT the same for the Paramedic program there?

As far as I know most of the EMT instructors if not all of them are EMT only. We have four EMT classes divided up between two campuses; some of our teachers teach two different EMT classes.

Got an 88 on my test last night. With the extra credit.