Refusal of Immobilization

palmer1121

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone out there have a refusal of immobilization form? Currently I write the following on a standard refusal form and have the patient sign it. "Patient advised of need to be immobilized to LSB using appropriate straps, cervical collar and head restraints. Patient refused immobilization. Patient advised of possible risks and consequences of refusing above treatment including loss of limb, paralysis, etc up to and including possible death. Patient still refuses immobilization. "

I was just thinking that a pre made form would be a lot better for documentation and would look much better in court than someones handwritten paragraph. thoughts?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Does anyone out there have a refusal of immobilization form? Currently I write the following on a standard refusal form and have the patient sign it. "Patient advised of need to be immobilized to LSB using appropriate straps, cervical collar and head restraints. Patient refused immobilization. Patient advised of possible risks and consequences of refusing above treatment including loss of limb, paralysis, etc up to and including possible death. Patient still refuses immobilization. "

I was just thinking that a pre made form would be a lot better for documentation and would look much better in court than someones handwritten paragraph. thoughts?

I just took a med documentation and communication class. Never heard of the form but basically you just have to document that crap out of it. Put it in ur narrative, tx remarks, and refusal form. If the dude ends up paralyzed it could be your job on the line.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our refusal form has a spot that says they refuse some or all treatment but still would like to be transported. It works for that.

HappyParamedicRN

Forum Crew Member
We use Zoll computer charting and had them add a refusal form within all PCRs so that if the patient refuses a particular aspect of care ie. backboarding, being carried in a stair chair etc we can document it and have them sign a refusal on whatever they are refusing without adding another log number and another chart to the call! It's great!

Happy

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
^^^^
We do the same thing. I really love Rescuenet ePCR...

OP
OP
P

palmer1121

Forum Crew Member
We use the GEMSIS PCR system for now, soon to be changing to something else :unsure: . So we cant have them sign on the computer, it would be great if we could though. I was just thinking about taking our standard refusal for and modifying it into a refusal of immobilization form.

HappyParamedicRN

Forum Crew Member
We use the GEMSIS PCR system for now, soon to be changing to something else :unsure: . So we cant have them sign on the computer, it would be great if we could though. I was just thinking about taking our standard refusal for and modifying it into a refusal of immobilization form.

You could, maybe have a check box with a blank line so you can write it in, but paper has a habbit of getting lost.. that is the problem.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What every ambo service needs, another form.

Standard refusal. Make sure to document state of mind. The pt's too!;)