Rectal D50

medic417

The Truth Provider
I agree with you.... What is with all the butt bandits on here? lol

Actually in my area oral glucose rectally was a way for basics to get patients sugar levels up when oral was not an option. I have no idea why a paramedic would ever choose the rectal route when there are other options including IO.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually in my area oral glucose rectally was a way for basics to get patients sugar levels up when oral was not an option. I have no idea why a paramedic would ever choose the rectal route when there are other options including IO.

We don't have much in the way of IO's at the service where I do ride alongs. We only carry 2 Jam-sheedy needles on each truck and our only standing protocol for using them is on peds. Rectal D50 is easier and quicker than going through the hassle of getting orders then getting the jam sheedy in place etc. I've never seen anyone do rectal D50 but it's a fair and viable option as a last resort.

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
IO IO IO, its away from the rectum I go.

We turn towards the IO. Rectal is bad news IMO. IO (especially the EZIO) is so. . . . .Easy :) that it is my 3 defense. Peripheral Iv (including EJ, too many people are scare to shoot for the EJ) if no workey then I go Glucagon and if that falls apart I shoot straight for the IO.

Protocol here is that we can use the IO at our discretion. So drill away.

Wy medic

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
TBH I would probably never put D50 in an EJ. It's just too risky. Plus then they wake up and you've got an IV in their neck! If I couldn't get an IV I would go for IO before rectal.

maxwell

Forum Crew Member
Why not? As long as it's a working EJ, push whatever the hell you want through it! D50, WD40! Don't be afraid of the EJ. The EJ is your friend. Worst thing that can happen is you blow it. Put some pressure on it (don't stroke them out, though) - treat it like any other vein if it infiltrates. I put in at least 5 EJs in daily. Never had ANYTHING bad happen. If you can't get that, go I/O. But - nothing PR. EJs are frequently a saving grace. Use them! A/w problems never happen.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
TBH I would probably never put D50 in an EJ. It's just too risky. Plus then they wake up and you've got an IV in their neck! If I couldn't get an IV I would go for IO before rectal.

Your kidding right? Either you have not established many EJ's or do not understand anatomy. EJ is one of the largest veins, as well it is just another peripheral IV. No big deal, I start them on conscious patients with no problem. I much rather see D50w pushed through an EJ than a hand IV, in fact many drug inserts suggest against hand veins.

Patient awake up, so what? The IV should be secured, well before administering the glucose. After awaking, place pressure bandage just alike any other IV.

Quit making an EJ a big deal... it's not.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
Your kidding right? Either you have not established many EJ's or do not understand anatomy. EJ is one of the largest veins, as well it is just another peripheral IV. No big deal, I start them on conscious patients with no problem. I much rather see D50w pushed through an EJ than a hand IV, in fact many drug inserts suggest against hand veins.

Patient awake up, so what? The IV should be secured, well before administering the glucose. After awaking, place pressure bandage just alike any other IV.

Quit making an EJ a big deal... it's not.

R/r 911

The only problem I ever have with EJ's, is how to keep the tourniquet tight enough!:ph34r:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

maxwell

Forum Crew Member
The only problem I ever have with EJ's, is how to keep the tourniquet tight enough!:ph34r:

AWESOME!!!

EJs are my favorite line to give anything rough...especially Adenosine...but now we're getting off topic...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just be sure to point them the right way :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
Just be sure to point them the right way :p

LOL. I have seen a medic that was so proud of herself walk into the ER with the patient. We were there doing paperwork. Nurse got a funny look and came over and got me and my partner and said is this how you guys do IV's. We looked and burst out laughing. The medic on the ambulance that had started it came over and started argueing that we were wrong. That an IV could face either direction and work just fine. A year later she still says she did nothing wrong. Sad that a person is to stubborn to learn from a mistake.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sad that a person is to stubborn to learn from a mistake.

No, what is sad is that person is stupid & dangerous. Ignorant is not knowing, stupid is refusing to learn.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
No, what is sad is that person is stupid & dangerous. Ignorant is not knowing, stupid is refusing to learn.

R/r 911

True.

10 word rule line.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief