Recertifying and worried about new education standards?

sstatler

Forum Probie
I was referred to a study guide and book by my old teacher but she also said with the implementation of the new standards it might be better to take a refresher?...

I dont want to recertify this way, and want to just take the test...i am buying the book and the study guide...can anoyone else suggest more? Are teh changes that significant that I would fail? I cannot find the "changes" anywhere so I can just read through the scope? I live in Colorado.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Are you currently employed and/or using your skills regularly?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
what level. the only new provider level now is AEMT. the other are being updated at a later date.

OP
OP
S

sstatler

Forum Probie
Re

I am an EMT B, about to go to nursing school and havent been working in an EMT role for about 9 months so I dont "use my skills" regularly now.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Nothing has changed at the basic level at this point. If you choose to take the NR test again, you will find it to be identical (well as identical as an adaptive test can be) as when you last took it, assuming you didn't take it more than at least three years ago.

There will be changes to the EMT national curriculum when the level changes from EMT-Basic to EMT. However, Colorado programs have been teaching the "new material" for quite some time, so Colorado EMT-Basics transitioning EMT will not need to take a "transition class."

OP
OP
S

sstatler

Forum Probie
Re

That is great news.

Where did you find that information out? I emailed my teacher initially to suggest a study book for me....and she kinda put the fear of go* in me and said that with the new standards all books she knows of to study by are outdated......but from what you just said it sounds like I would be fine, at least for this recertification cycle...!?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That is great news.

Where did you find that information out? I emailed my teacher initially to suggest a study book for me....and she kinda put the fear of go* in me and said that with the new standards all books she knows of to study by are outdated......but from what you just said it sounds like I would be fine, at least for this recertification cycle...!?

From talking to my IV class instructor. When did you last take the NREMT?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I was a little confused by the letter I received from NREMT as well regarding basic to EMT change. Glad you asked this question sstatler, and glad you answered it Tigger. The system works :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've also heard that the NR is going to enter into an agreement with nine states (so far) with curriculums that already address the proposed changes to the national curriculum. If you are licensed in one of those states (my instructor forgot the list), you will not have to send the NREMT the "certificate" that is outlined in the letter that most of us recently received from the NR. Realistically everyone has probably learned those skills, but if you learned them formally during your initial training, when you recert with your state, you will also "upgrade" with the NR.