Really (really) Basic Skill Question

E Dog

Forum Ride Along
I had an incident come up at work today, and although it all worked out, I am wondering if it was handled properly. Someone was drinking water and started coughing, making the hands on throat choking gesture. However, the person was able to cough (not choking noise) and do so repeatedly. Can anything be done at this point? Sorry for the newbish question, but it is going to bother me not knowing if I screwed up.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Nothing can be done for that. Let the person manage their own airway and clear it themselves.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Negative ghostrider. Just let them cough, they'll be fine.

OP
OP
E

E Dog

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. Might be time for me to brush up on stuff though...

Deftones

Forum Probie
You did not screw up. You would've screwed up if you started needlessly giving them the Heimlich or grabbed out the suction unit. Relax and take a sip of water without choking on it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As the others have said, let the coughing person continue to cough. If the coughing person is able to continue coughing, that means that are able to keep breathing even though they're coughing a lot. You only really need to worry if the person stops breathing…

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
Time to break out the professional paranoia here. From what you described your response was appropriate until you have officially relieved yourself of this patient. There are instances of "dry drowning" that can be very difficult to handle if experienced, however, which is muscle paralysis/spasm triggered by coughing fits. There is nothing you can do to prevent it but the case you described is one where you just watch with one eye for a while. If you're on duty, everyone is a potential customer until the next one comes along.