Radio Talk

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
I't would be interesting to know what phoenetical alphabet you use in your area... i know like each state has it's own one.

We use the NATO Phoenetical Alphabet... (alfa, bravo, charlie delta, echo...)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The only two letters we use in private EMS are Alpha and Bravo.

Hospital, this is Private Company Bravo (BLS) or Alpha (ALS) 123....

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
;) AH, you have nice and clear radios there hey! Here we spell out even the street names...

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Response levels...

ALPHA
BRAVO
CHARLIE
DELTA
ECHO

NOW..when the you know what hits the fan...I LOVE hearing people try to think of what they are supposed to say...I have heard a dispatcher get ruffled and it went something like this..

"Engine 1702 to dispatch - Could you repeat that street name?"
"Its *****(inaudible, mummbling)"
"Dispatch, could you spell that, we can't find it on our map"
"Sure, its - Boy, IceCream, Sammys, Coors, Alcohol, Y...umm...YOYO, Naughty, E...umm...gosh...Elephant"
"Thanks dispatch..."

Much laughter on the Engine....
You see, Sammys is a known strip club......

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Aug 20 2005, 11:46 AM
Response levels...

ALPHA
BRAVO
CHARLIE
DELTA
ECHO

NOW..when the you know what hits the fan...I LOVE hearing people try to think of what they are supposed to say...I have heard a dispatcher get ruffled and it went something like this..

"Engine 1702 to dispatch - Could you repeat that street name?"
"Its *****(inaudible, mummbling)"
"Dispatch, could you spell that, we can't find it on our map"
"Sure, its - Boy, IceCream, Sammys, Coors, Alcohol, Y...umm...YOYO, Naughty, E...umm...gosh...Elephant"
"Thanks dispatch..."

Much laughter on the Engine....
You see, Sammys is a known strip club......
I nominate this post for post of the month. LOLOL.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Rangat@Aug 20 2005, 10:10 AM
;) AH, you have nice and clear radios there hey! Here we spell out even the street names...
As far as dispatching goes we have radios with generally good reception, alphanumeric pagers that usually go off before they even start dispatching, and laptops / Mobile Data Terminals (MDTS) that go off when the pager goes off.

Now calling the hospital is a different story. We carry portable 800 MHz radios that work 25% of the time on a good day. Usually the unit will radio our dispatch who will patch it through to the hospital via telephone. I just use my cell phone and contact the hospital.

I wish we could have code names though. I'll be Maverick and you can be Chimp can be Goose.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a big tan-foh on that dis-patch, 24-Boy is tan-niner six to the Delta Priority at west steel and PA Ave. 24-boy oscar sierra and twenty-two. 24-Boy is twenty-five U of P - MC, fox-trot tango to the Alpha on High. tan-foh. 24-Boy is twenty five and eight UP.

Typical C of P ambulance jargon.

tan-foh - 10-4 Affirmative
tan-niner six - 10-96 Responding to
Oscar sierra - On Scene
twenty two - Out of service for additional runs
twenty-five - Enroute to
foxtrot - tango - Fast Turn Around
eight - 10-8 - in service

niner - cool way to say nine (9)

Alpha - Non emergent transport, BLS
Delta - Emergency run, ALS; Cardiac, Severe Resp, etc.

Alpha - Non Emerg Request, Transport Vehicle/Wheel Chair Van
Bravo - Non Emerg, BLS Transport
Charlie - Pain, Fall victim, minor lacs, BLS
Delta - Cardiac, Respiratory, Diabetic, CVA "The four big ones", ALS
Echo - Cardiopulmonary Arrest, BLS unit to transport w/ an ALS chase car & 1 Engine Co. for lifting

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Fox Trot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
X-Ray
Yankee
Zulu

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
A- Adam
B- Boy
C- Charlie
D- David
E- Edward
F- Frank
G- George
H- Henry
I- Ida
J- John
K- King
L- Lincoln
M- Mary
N- Nora
O- Ocean
P- Peter
Q- Queen
R- Robert
S- Sam
T- Tom
U- Union
V- Victor
W- William
X- Xray
Y- Young
Z- Zebra

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by BloodNGlory02@Aug 21 2005, 12:26 AM
A- Adam
B- Boy
C- Charlie
D- David
E- Edward
x2 It's really hard when you go from using this list for fd/ems to Alpha, Bravo, ... for Amateur Radio. :blink:

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Ah. For destination talk ours is much simpler:

Tango 1: Departing to call
Tango 2: On scene
Tango 3: From scene to hospital
Tango 4: At hospital
Tango 5: Available

Then the FD has variations on this, but i don't know all:

Tango 5-1: Nothing at scene
Tango 9: Scene report
Tango 2-1: To base

etc...

oh, and Victor pt = trapped :eek:

vtemti

Forum Captain
Plain ole english here. We did use a numeric code system, but we live near the the NH border, they have different codes and it caused problems when responding MA. For example a 10-50 in VT is an MVA, but a NH 10-50 is a dead carcus on the road.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
English here too. Only thing we do is for MI we call them in as "Save a Heart" and CVA's are called in as "Save a Brain" It's supposed to be less scary to the pt & family if they over hear it. I really don't see how but that's what they do.

SO does numeric codes and since we have nextels, I've learned all those and use them against my will.

I like this post though, now I understand that damn commercial that runs all the time with the FF saying Alfa Tango Foxtrot. (or something like that)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
generally we just talk to eachother. i'll be dispatched as "26, respond to xx street for the mva". if they need to spell a street phonetically, its generally amusing cause they use the first word that coms to mind

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
at work... we use the "International Standard" which alex typed in...

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Fox Trot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
X-Ray
Yankee
Zulu

As a ham radio whacker... I actually know these by heart... I get yelled at by dispatchers when they ask me to spell something over the phone and I spell it in phonetics... they say I'm being a pain....

Summit

Critical Crazy
Everyone using an english phonetic on the planet uses the standard international/NATO Alpha Bravo Charlie etc.... except a few miscreant PDs and a FD or two... What is wrong with those people? Join the latter half of the 20th century or something...

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
I second bloodNglory on the phonetic alphabet. We use proper names here too, and exactly the same ones for spelling, license plates and apt numbers. We also use 10-codes and code designations....

ex:

Communications: M1, E7, resp diff at 1321 Newcastle Rd Apt I-Ida, from Horton Rd to Shaftsbury st. Utilize OPS1 (that gets repeated like 4 times)

M1: M1 Durham, 10-17 from Station 1.

And then we get a narrative like:

"M1, your pt is a 45 yo male c/o resp diff. pt is 10-56 (drunk as sh*t), DPD on there way, will check in on OPS1."

10-4 Durham, M1 10-23....blah blah blah

All the public safety depts here have the same radios which is oh so sweet since we can all talk to each other when a big mass casualty thing happens. Or even on little things like 10-50s (wrecks here) when DPD needs to tell me to move the truck or myself before I get run over, etc. I think we're pretty lucky. Because of this we all have a pretty good rapport with the other depts. For example, I can be found bringing icecream to one of the city firestations, or coffee to some of the Po-lice. We always hang out at each others stations and shoot the sh*it. I know in raleigh, our capitol city, the PD JUST got digital 800s and the medics are still on some walky-talky like thingy, so they cant talk to each other if they need to...i dont know, seems silly to me and unsafe to have all agencies on different comms. Anyone have any opinions????

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Like Steph we use:
A- Adam
B- Boy
C- Charlie
D- David
E- Edward

The PD uses that and 10 codes. If they run a plate on a car, they say "304 27." 304 is the car number, and 10-27 is plate info.
The FD say whatever they want.

We dont use many codes other than 10-4. We usually say:
(rig number) In service to xxx
(rig number) on scene, or arriving
("") Clear, no transport, or enroute to xxx
("") is out at xxx
("") is clear of xxx enroute back to the city
("") is back inte city.

If theres a transfer, they just say (rig number) is out of the city on a xx to xx transfer.

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
I like our radio talk on calls, its quick and you dont stumble over words-

10-8 in service
10-41 enroute
10-23 on scene
10-76 _____ enroute to
10-7 @ hospital
10-8, 10-24 inservice returning
10-42 call ended.

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Subtle differences....

10-41/10-42: start of tour/end of tour

10-7: out of service

10-6: busy doing whatever or on scene busy or at hospital busy

23, 8, 24 are all the same, we have a bunch more but its justy interesting how ten codes are different everywhere...