Radio Straps

gronch

Forum Probie
Chest rigs are pretty much the standard for SAR opns. I'll add that I choose the equipment I use/wear (and that is not mandated by my employer) based on whether it serves the purpose for which it's intended, and given the range of options available for carrying radios I refuse to voluntarily wear a radio strap rig - they scream Ricky Rescue to me, especially when worn with civies.

Chest rig should be mandatory. SAR figured that out already.

I also think that EMTs and Paramedics should wear tactical helmets, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
So if I'm not doing firefighting would you guys say the belt option is best? Whats an example of a radio pouch for the belt that I could get? I'd personally prefer not to use the sling if possible. And what position on the belt would be best? Thanks

http://amzn.com/B0019MM1NC

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wore a chest rig as ski patroller.

Otherwise I wear it on my belt.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If I don't have a remote speaker mic, I prefer a swivel holster on my hip (which usually gets taken off when I get into the ambulance).

If I have a remote speaker mic, I prefer the radio strap. my least favorite is the radio clipped to my belt with the mic attached to my shirt.

Not sure what the chest rig thing you are talking about, but it looks annoying to take off and putback on quickly.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
I use a chest pack for SAR, or, if I'm driving instead of on foot, a underarm sholder holster style harness. Never hear the end of it if I tried using that at one of my normal jobs, though... radio clipped to belt is expected, even though that's a pain in the rear.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have some firefighters who wear them but not many at all. As far on the ambulance I have not seen anyone wear the straps. All of our radios have the belt clip and we have a couple of people who bought a mic that clips on their uniform.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I think the OP makes the radio strap like a whacker tool and its not. I feel it can be an important accessory to your uniform. Its easy to take on/off and holds it more secure then other methods. I personally do not use a radio strap, but that is because I find them uncomfortable. I have my radio in a radio holster and remote mic attached to my shirt.

Angel

Paramedic
i dont think a strap is a whacker tool. just comes down to preference. at my company people use both. i have not decided but am leaning toward a strap since there will be a lot of in and out of ambulances, and i just see it getting hooked and stuck on everything if its on my hip

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I love my radio strap. I hate wearing my radio on my belt, it feels unsecure, and is constantly in my way when I want to sit. The radio strap is easy to take on & off, clips to the back of my pants' belt loops so it doesn't flop around and I find it a LOT better than wearing the radio on my belt. I do think its entirely a matter of personal preference though. Some people like them, some don't. If you like it, use it, if you don't, don't. No need to call others a whacker for using one. At my agency its pretty 50/50, people who use straps and people who just clip it to their belt.

jwoods

Forum Probie
I personally prefer a radio strap. As said previously, it's easier when donning turnout gear. All comes down to personal preference, but I would say the majority of the guys here wear them. They definitely do serve a functional purpose.