quick cardiac anatomy question

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
ok so we're going through a 12-lead class have to know which leads relate to which arteries. I think I have it straight, and I know these are general guidelines but before I do all the practice ecg's here is what I am thinking

LAD is anterior, septal, and some inferior
circumflex is lateral and posterior
rca is right and inferior

am I thinking close to right?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
ok so we're going through a 12-lead class have to know which leads relate to which arteries. I think I have it straight, and I know these are general guidelines but before I do all the practice ecg's here is what I am thinking

LAD is anterior, septal, and some inferior
circumflex is lateral and posterior
rca is right and inferior

am I thinking close to right?

RCA more often than not is posterior

Edit to clarify:

The Posterior Descending Artery (PDA) comes off of the RCA about 80 to 85% of the time. Though it can also come off of the Circumflex or a PDA can come off of both (thus making it a balanced system).
Additionally the Posterior Left Ventricular Arteries (PLVs) come off of the RCA

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
RCA more often than not is posterior

ok so...

lad- anterior, septal, some inferior
circumflex- lateral, some posterior
rca- right, inferior, and some posterior

anything else anyone?

TomB

Forum Captain
Typically we associated LAD with anterior, RCA with inferior and LCX with lateral (occasionally inferior). One would think that acute STEMI would be documented as evenly distributed in the distribution of the three main epicardial coronary arteries (33%, 33%, 33%) but he reality is that the standard 12-lead ECG does a relatively poor job examining the heart in the distribution of the LCX so many of these are misreported as NSTEMI ("anterior ischemia" as opposed to isolated posterior STEMI). As a result we "catch" more inferior and anterior STEMIs.